The Ottawa Canadian Film Festival is a cultural, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to recognize, promote and celebrate Canadian films and filmmakers. Our mission is grounded in the belief that Canadian film and filmmakers are distinctive and vital to Canada’s culture and the development of the local economy.
As part of its commitment to promote the growth of independent Canadian films, Ottawa Canadian Film Festival is now accepting submissions for its 2022 Film Festival Program which will take place in November 2022.
We are looking for great stories in all genres whether they are fiction or documentary of short or feature length.
We invite filmmakers to visit our website and check out some Frequently Asked Questions: https://ocanfilmfest.ca/faq.html
A Special Note about our November 2022 Festival Screenings
While we plan to return to in-person screenings in November 2022, we are mindful that this may change to a hybrid online/in-person or an exclusively online set of screenings, depending on public health guidelines and venue restrictions imposed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. If required, online screenings will be conducted via Vimeo and will not be geo-restricted allowing rentals by audiences around the world.
All other aspects of the festival remain unchanged from previous in-person cinema screenings, including the jury process, and screening fees paid to all films selected to be included in the festival.
- Screening fees will be paid to all selected films.
- An Audience Favourite will be named based on votes cast by audience members at the festival.
- All selected film entries will be promoted and featured on the festival's website and on its social media platforms.
The Festival will provide one complimentary festival pass for each film selected.
To be eligible please read all of the rules and guidelines carefully before making your submission.
- Films submitted MUST be written or directed by a filmmaker who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
- We only accept submission entries digitally through www.filmfreeway.com.
- We are not responsible for improperly functioning on-line screeners or passwords.
- All submitted films in a language other than English must have English subtitles.
- We strongly encourage submissions by Ottawa based filmmakers as well as submissions by Canadian filmmakers of French language films (with English subtitles).
- Films which have received television or theatrical exposure are eligible
- Films available on the Internet are eligible
- Entrants are responsible for securing all rights and permissions from copyright and other holders relating to their film and agree to all terms as detailed herein.
- The festival reserves the right not to select any submission that we feel is inappropriate for any reason.
- All submissions will be notified of the results of the festival's decision by October 1, 2022.
- All film submissions will be assessed based on the criteria and rules and guidelines as described in the call for submissions.
- If your film is short listed, you will asked to confirm that your film is available for screening at the festival and to submit an exhibition copy of the film to the festival electronically.
- A submission may not be withdrawn from the Festival once you have confirmed its availability and transmitted the film to the festival.
- The decision of selection committee and festival is final.
Visit our website for Frequently Asked Questions: https://ocanfilmfest.ca/faq.html
The following information MUST be included with your submission once it has been short-listed:
- Film title and year of production,
- log line (brief one sentence summary)
- Running time/length of the film
- Language(s) of film and available subtitles (where relevant),
- Full name of the director, and
- Contact information (email address).
- A brief synopsis of the film (100 words max.),
- A brief biography of the filmmaker (100 words max., including province of origin and current residence),
- Film poster (jpg or png), and
- Director headshot (jpg or png).
- We require an electronic exhibition copy of the film. DNxHD, h.264 or ProRes codecs in mov or mp4 containers are acceptable. Resolutions: 1920x1080 or 1280x720. Audio: mono or stereo. Due to technical specs of our venues and chosen streaming platforms, we are unable to accept DCPs or 5.1 audio at this time.
- Filmmakers must deliver a final format as indicated for festival screening. There are no exceptions.
- film trailer (if available) or a short segment from the film for publicity (same format options as for copy the film noted above),
Terms and Conditions (deemed accepted upon submission of materials detailed above)
I, as submitter of this entry and the undersigned, acknowledge and agree that:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility Rules, Guidelines, Terms and Conditions requirements;
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in my submission document are true;
3. This film or video is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this film to the festival;
5. I hold the Ottawa Canadian Film Festival and its parent organization the Ottawa Independent Film Festival as well as its owners, management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry;
6. I certify that I am the copyright holder of the film and have all necessary rights and clearances to have the film publicly screened by the festival;
7. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the entered work;
8 . I give permission to the Ottawa Canadian Film Festival to screen the film at the festival
9. I also give permission to the festival to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the film for promotional purposes and the right to adapt/modify the film's trailer or to use a very brief portion of the film (if trailer is not available) for promotion of the festival's events and screenings.