Minnesota WebFest is the first film festival in the Midwest dedicated to the emerging web series format and a member of the Web Series World Cup. We take immense pride in championing diverse human voices and perspectives.
Now entering our fIfth year, we bring the best web series in the world to Minnesota and showcase top Minnesota talent to the world. Our mission is to identify high quality web series, to promote filmmakers’ works, and to highlight the diverse voices that this format empowers.
Throughout the weekend you will be treated to screenings on state of the art theater equipment, networking opportunities, educational talks, and panels from web series experts around the world. Network with other filmmakers and industry experts on the rooftop lounge of Hennepin Theatre Trust, overlooking skyline views of downtown Minneapolis. Our Awards Ceremony kicks off Saturday evening, where we hand out our awards, decided by an independent jury panel.
And of course, we are by no means all work and no play! There are lots of fun and unique events throughout the weekend including an excursion to explore the Mall of America, a Lake Minnetonka Boat Cruise (party boat!), a visit to First Avenue (the birth place of Prince!), and a downtown after party!
A key part of our mission is bringing public exposure to these amazing web series. As such, each year we strive to keep our event free and open to both filmmakers and the public.
Best Action Series
Best Comedy Series
Best Dramatic Series
Best Dramedy Series
Best Documentary/Reality Series
Best Horror Series
Best Mockumentary Series
Best Narrative Vlog Series
Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series
Best Sketch Comedy Series
Best Thriller Series
Best Comedic Ensemble
Best Comedic Performance
Best Dramatic Ensemble
Best Dramatic Performance
Best Original Music
Best Original Score
Best Production Design
Excellence in Web Series Promotion
Best of Minnesota
Best Representation of Communities of Color
Best Representation of LGBTQ+ Communities
Best Representation of Women
Best Overall Series
Best Student Series
Michael Ajakawe Jr. Award
Audience Choice Award (Minnesota)
Audience Choice Award (Non-Minnesota)
DIRECT SELECTION AWARDS
Apuila Web Fest
Asia Web Awards
Miami Web Fest
NJ Web Fest
NZ Web Fest
Santa Monica Webfest
HOW TO SUBMIT:
1. Select the genre category that best suits your content.
2. If your film was made in Minnesota or by a Minnesota resident, indicate "Made in Minnesota".
3a. SEASONS: Submit content from any single season of your web series. A season must have at least 3 episodes.
3b. PILOTS: Submit your first episode ("pilot") ONLY.
4. You may not submit content from a season that has previously been submitted to Minnesota WebFest.
5. Submit all required information and pay the required fee(s) in accordance with the relevant submission window.
All submitted content must satisfy the following requirements:
-The content must have been developed for online audiences. Non-exclusive development for online audiences is sufficient.
-The content must be submitted by a creator/producer aged 18 or older.
-If your content is unfinished or pending distribution, you may submit password-protected unreleased content or Works in Progress for consideration. You can add a password to protect your video uploads on your FilmFreeway project page. If selected, you must have a screening file available by August 10, 2020.
-The season in question must have first screened or appeared online on or after January 1, 2018.
-The content must include English subtitles to accompany any important dialogue or visual references that are not spoken or written in English.
- Student series must have a director and/or writer that is a registered student at the time of filming.
6. We are looking only for WEB SERIES content. Serialized content of any genre targeted for online distribution. You must have three episodes ready for distribution to be considered a web series. EXCEPTION: Pilot competition submissions may consist of a single pilot episode.
7. INELLIGIBLE CONTENT
The following content formats are not eligible for screening during Minnesota WebFest and will be rejected regardless of their adherence to any other requirements:
-Corporate videos promoting a product or service
-Short or feature films
1. All submitters must submit their content to Minnesota WebFest through FilmFreeway.
2. All submitters must submit to at least 1 genre category.
3. A single submission may be considered for more than one genre category, provided that an additional entry with additional submission fee is paid for each additional genre category.
4. Multiple projects may be submitted for consideration provided that an additional submission fee is paid for each entry.
5. All submission fees are non-refundable.
6. Submitting does not guarantee your series as an Official Selection of Minnesota WebFest 2020.
7. The Festival prefers that the submitter is the creator/producer of the project, however in order to submit content on the behalf of its creator/producer, the contact information of the primary creator/producer must be provided in order to document them as the festival’s main point of contact.
8. The submitter must have obtained legal copyright to publicly screen their submitted content and all intellectual property contained therein including, but not limited to, music, lyrics, written work, photos, video content, artwork, and media excerpts.
9. Official Selections will receive a a free copy of the Mac-based captioning app Imaginary Captions courtesy of festival sponsor Imaginary Productions.
In order to be screened at Minnesota WebFest and eligible for judging:
A. All non-English language series MUST provide English language subtitles.
B. All English language series MUST provide English language captions.
Subtitles and/or captions may be embedded in the video or provided as a separate file in SRT format.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
-Minnesota WebFest reserves the right to amend these Guidelines at any time.
-Failure to meet the eligibility requirements will lead to disqualification.
-Disqualification will not entitle a submitter to a refund of the submission fee.
-By submitting your content, you represent that you have acquired all legal rights to publicly screen all content within your submission.
-Minnesota WebFest reserves the right to determine screening conditions for all Official Selections.
-Minnesota WebFest reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to add content advisory disclaimers to any content screened, if deemed necessary, for any reason.
-If a submitter’s content is selected, a Notice of Official Selection shall be emailed to the to the email address provided by the submitter in their FilmFreeway profile on the notification date.
-Announcements identifying the Official Selections will be posted online on the Minnesota WebFest website and social media channels on the notification date.
-If you have any questions about your eligibility, contact us and we will assess your submission on a case-by-case basis.
-Minnesota WebFest participants agree to not hold Minnesota WebFest, the Northern Film Alliance, its employees, directors and representatives responsible for any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the event or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize.
-All state & federal laws apply.
Response from festival:
Troy, thank you so much for the feedback! The team is thrilled you had a great experience during this crazy year. We're enjoying watching where the festival circuit is taking Intercept (congrats on all the recent selections and nominations!) and hope to see you at a future festival!