JUNE UPDATE: We will announce selections, semi-finalist nominees and award winners in August. Shorts, features, series episodes, videos (music, creative, experimental) and IMDb review requests are welcome. Besides laurels, e-certificates/diplomas and IMDb credit, award winners of SHORTS AND WEB SERIES EPISODES get a lifetime 50% streaming revenue deal should they decide to list their award-winning films on https://indieshorts.tv
Also a lucky winner will be picked amount the winners to be interviewed at the Hollywood and Beyond Podcast (look it up on Podbean or iHeartRadio). Also, if you are on Facebook and we love your poster, we will do video promo of it at no cost to you and will tag you/your production and forward the promo to over 30 worldwide filmmaker/producer groups, to bring awareness on your film. Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/mlcawards (we post discount codes there often)
SUMMER WINDOW (June-August): Now accepting worldwide, all budget Summer Window film/video entries animated or non-animated productions, narrative fiction or non fiction, independently produced or in union status (shorts, features, videos and documentaries). We have an annual gala with public attending to watch. Before that happens, we recognize winners online every 3 months (4 quarterly windows).
We also honor cast even beyond what the submission categories indicate. See photos of Semi-Finalists to get an idea of where you can score nominations or awards in 20+ categories. This means that if we like a supporting or day player actor, or a specific sound or color treatment aspect, we can nominate and award this actor.
We are on of the most affordable festivals of its kind when it comes to recognizing filmmakers, cast and crew work. We offer distribution deals to award winners of shorts and web episodes.
With so much preamble, we forgot to WELCOME YOU to our international, IMDb qualified film festival, now in its second year. Over 20 quarterly winners and over 50 nominees per quarterly window. Our Fall window will follow after the current Summer window.
We celebrate all genres, but most especially "M-L-C components" described in the Awards & Prizes section. MLC stands for Mobster - Latino - Comedy. We also love Midwest-Made productions (see our midwest section) and anything loaded with VFX, great sound, animation, etc. We also welcome creative youtube videos, promo videos, trailers of movies, audiobooks, etc.
We issue awards recognizing all budget type productions--besides cast and crew--every 3 months in over 20 categories. Indeed, other than the awards listed on each category (see each submission category), we also have Honorable Mention (HM) and Special Jury Mention (SJM) Awards.
Unlike other festivals, the above are not "lower prestige" awards. The only thing differentiating them from MAIN, EXTRA awards are these will not qualify for the annual gala in February 2021, and they change quarterly in that we may add one or two more awards in addition to those previously awarded. See mlcproductions.org for previous nominees and winners.
As an example to the above, to add to those in previous windows, as of the Spring window, Best MLC Jewel is one of our new Honorable Mention Awards. We also have a new SJM award: Best COVID/Pandemic film.
Visit www.mlcproductions.org for winners and nominees of our previous window, but do keep in mind the new changes, expanding awards (see categories and pricing).
Winners and Nominees will receive digital certificates via email, quarterly. They also get IMDb credit and discounts to stream shows on Indie Shorts (https://indieshorts.tv), one of our main sponsors.
Award winners of SHORTS AND WEB SERIES EPISODES get a lifetime 50% streaming revenue deal should they decide to list their award-winning films on https://indieshorts.tv
ANY Winners will be entered for a drawing; one lucky winner will be interviewed by Steven Brittingham at the Hollywood and Beyond Show, a prestigious podcast based in Cincinnatti, OH showcasing filmmakers, actors and artists all over the world (go to iheartradio.com and look up Hollywood and Beyond to check the list of previously interviewed guests).
MAIN AND EXTRA CONSIDERATION winners They also get IMDb credit and can order our quarterly trophies. Last but never least, they will receive an invitation (those will go out in the Fall of 2020) to attend our Annual MLC Gala in 2021, hosted in Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA, recognizing The Best of 2020.
SJM AND HM WINNERS GET ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCEPT THE GALA QUALIFICATION/INVITE.
Cash prize amounts at our gala will depend on the number of sponsors on board. This and more will be announced in the Fall of 2020. On funds raised, cash prizes would be distributed at the annual gala among the winners.
-CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK (facebook.com/mlcawards) FOR SEASONAL DISCOUNT CODES AND LIVE UPDATES -
Filmmakers or Producers, including student filmmakers/producers, from all over the world, over the age of 18, all budgets, are encouraged to submit. Your project can be independent or part of a union contract. You must clear permissions to submit it to us.
Any films not in English must have English subtitles. Films in English with hard-to-hear scenes are encouraged to include subtitles.
We are all about (but not necessarily excluding others):
* fiction or non fiction animated or non-animated short films (40 minute maximum length, 1 minute minimum, including opening and closing credits) as long as completed as of January 1, 2016. All genres.
* fiction and non-fiction pilots or web/TV/streamable episodes/series (released or not, union or non union, 55-60 minute maximum length excluding opening and closing credits), as long as they were completed as of January 1, 2016. If a web series, send us the most representative episode. We also consider shorts with a series potential (with a pilot flavor). You must adhere to the M-L-C criteria described below.
* Fiction or non fiction Midwest-Made short films/productions: Maximum 40 minute length, including credits. Midwest: Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio. Completed as of January 1, 2016. Documentaries go under the Documentary section, but if you indicate that your documentary was made in the Midwest, you will be considered for awards stemming from this submission category.
* Westerns/Fantasy/Adventure/VFX (shorts or features): a genre that is being lost. We looove to see your creativity and stories. Completed as of January 1, 2016. Any westerns or AFV shorts or features with a maximum 125 minute length and a minimum 40 minute length (excluding credits) need to be submitted under MAIN categories 4 & 5 category.
* Documentaries (fiction or not) and docu-series episodes: all lengths.
* Creative Jewels: experimental or artistic shorts or videos, music videos, youtube/vimeo content or proofs of concept with After Effects or any other software/technique elevating image and sound. Go animation, go experimental. Videos can be any length. Animation shorts will also compete under this category, even if they submitted under a different one. A submission with a series of, say, five videos submitted under one single entry showing no story connection will be not be judged past the first video. You must submit each video separately.
MLC stands for Mobster - Latino - Comedy. However, we do not exclude productions lacking some or all of these.
By L-atino, we mean any of the cast members or director from a latino culture, be it geographically, by language, etc. Or film score in a latino language (Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian; all Latin American cultures welcome...
By M-obster we mean the film has to have a fiction organized crime component (Westerns are welcome, even horror/thrillers as long as there is crime involved, also mafia stories, piracy, smuggling, etc). We do not celebrate violence, but love films such us The Dark Knight, Good Fellas, etc with great character treatment and a great dialogue-actio ratio.
By C-omedy we mean anything from dark to light comedy. We love sarcasm with taste, great dialogues and punch lines.
You should ideally (but no obligation) adhere to the M-L-C criteria described above. Think of funny shorts, with latino flavor, law enforcement, Westerns, video clips, etc.
Shorts and pilots/eps/ series potential shorts with MLC components showcased have a big chance to be selected and win and are entered in the top 3 categories. We love resourcefulness, ALL budgets, creativity. Although not obligatory to type up, we read (and appreciate) submission cover letters.
We will not post or list your production ONLINE. This is not an online competition. Screening will only happen:
* if a selection, privately prior to our quarterly selections;
* if a quarterly winner, eventually in front of a live audience, as a finalist, at our annual gala.
We are okay with films that have previously screened at festivals. We do not accept and will not pay any screening fees.
SHORT FILMS: TRY to limit yourself to up to 3 submissions per filmmaker per quarterly window.
LANGUAGE: Films can have any kind of swearing and rough language. Mature audiences will be at the quarterly (judges) or the annual (+ audience in general) events. All types of graphic violence are okayed as long as there is a story to tell versus fillers that do not connect will the story.
We mostly accept unlisted YouTube links (our preference) or Vimeo links with or without password. If you want to submit more series episodes besides the pilot, please email a link to subsequent eps separately. We do not guarantee we will watch them, but it can help your CAT 2 submission for bigger winning chances. We do not require DVDs or hard copies.
By submitting you agree to hold the festival / event organizers / members / sponsors harmless from fees of any kind such as, but not limited to, screening fees, no transportation or other expenses you incur to attend the festival's annual gala, if invited (invitations will go out in January 2021 to all MAIN and EXTRA category award winners).
Free format, but we only accept digital submissions (no mailed DVDs or anything of the like). Editing should ideally be anywhere between 24 fps and 60 fps (the latter preferred for fast moving scenes) with the exception of 6K shoots with tasteful slow motion work.
Any filmmaker, even students, with ages above 18 is welcome to submit. Not all submission categories have student discounts, but that does not mean a student cannot submit. We welcome and specially consider first time filmmakers.
EXTRA CONSIDERATION SUBMISSIONS: we will watch paying special attention to the following:
Best Actor in a leading role
Best Actress in a leading role
Best Film Score / Best Song
Best Editing / Best Cinematography
The EXTRA CONSIDERATION should be purchased ideally separately from the Main category, but we will not bar single purchases, unless you submit a film longer than the minutes posted under each Main category. Again, if your film exceeded the length posted or did not include MLC components as we require under the MAIN CATEGORIES rules, then we will not view your film. NO REFUNDS. Although please read further down about chances of being selected with EXTRA submission-only.
OTHER RULES & DISCLOSURES:
ANY AND ALL SUBMISSION FEES (INCLUDING THOSE PAID ERRONEOUSLY) ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
* To increase your chances of being selected, EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT FORIBDDEN, don't submit for EXTRA consideration categories-only. Those who submit the same film together under Main and EXTRA categories will have more chances of Selection and Win under the EXTRA CONSIDERATION category than those who just submit under EXTRA CONSIDERATION-ONLY.
No mobile phone films are encouraged, but they are okay as long as in good sound, 1080 and not entirely shot with a mobile phone (using other equipment). Drones, Action Cams are okay. Be creative. HD or 4K cameras preferred. Please use a microphone attached to your camera, as we value good quality sound.
* All genres are welcome, including experimental.
Porn and/or erotic themed films are EXCLUDED and will not be judged/considered. Nudity okay with moderate dosage.
* NO WAIVER CODES WILL BE CONSIDERED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PRIVATELY ASKING FOR WAIVER CODES.
* THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OF ANY KIND.
* We accept already-distributed films. All of the above except Westerns must be COMPLETED PRODUCTIONS (we do not accept work in progress) AND RELEASED ANYTIME after January 1, 2016. See Rules for more info and film lengths.
* No screening fees will be paid by this festival to anyone with no exceptions. This is mainly to keep costs down for everyone.
* Quarterly Winner trophies similarly-looking to the one displayed in our Festival logo will be mailed on demand upon paying the applicable fees to the quarterly-award winning filmmakers. Trophy will read "Quarterly Category Winner".
Quarterly Winning films get IMDb credit and will become Finalists for a final showdown at our annual MLC Gala, with a final live screening, red carpet, appetizers and awards event. The MLC Gala will be held at Rise and Grind, downtown Green Bay on Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 2:00 pm CST.
* Trophies are on demand and have a small fee attached besides shipping (please send us a message should you need more info on this). Winners of MAIN and EXTRA categories will receive more details on this after we announce the wins every 3 months.
* We reserve the right to promote submissions via posters-only (no actual footage). For Facebook (Recently Submitted...) purposes, we reserve the right to 2.5D or 3D the poster or put the poster in a video sequence. These types of Facebook posts (go to www.facebook.com/mlcawards) will be shared with over 30 worldwide groups of filmmakers and producers we are part of.