Organized by the Fundacja OFF CAMERA and Krakow Festival Office, Mastercard OFF CAMERA is a 10-day event devoted to Polish and international independent cinema. Our key objective is to give support to filmmakers at the beginning of their careers.
The most important element of the Festival is the international competition, in which 10 independent directors from all over the world compete for the Krakow Film Award of $100,000. The winner is selected by an international jury.
In addition to the Main Competition, Mastercard OFF CAMERA screens more than 100 films in such categories as: PANORAMA (new productions from major filmmakers and the most promising directors), AMERICAN INDIES (new independent indie films from the U.S.) and others. Each year the festival programme features special sections devoted to national or regional cinemas, retrospective programmes devoted to cinematic trends or genres as well as tributes to the acclaimed filmmakers attending the festival.
Krakow Film Award - 100 000 $ for the director of the best picture
COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS
of the 13th International Festival of Independent Cinema MASTERCARD OFF CAMERA
24th April – 3th May, 2020
The Organizer of the International Festival of Independent Cinema MASTERCARD OFF CAMERA (hereinafter referred to as the "Festival"), the 13th edition of which is to be held in 2020, is Fundacja OFF CAMERA located in Krakow entered in the Register of entrepreneurs and the Register of associations, other social and professional organizations, foundations and public healthcare institutions in the National Court Register kept by the District Court for Kraków - Śródmieście in Kraków under no. KRS 0000428063 (Fundacja is referred to as the “Organizer”), in cooperation with Krakow Festival Office, located in Krakow. Fundacja (Organizer) is legally responsible for all the obligations defined in the Competition Rules and Regulations statements. It is also creditor of the services resulting from this set of regulations on behalf of the Organizer. Actions of Fundacja are considered to be the activities of the Organizer.
1. The subsequent Festival editions shall be held each year in Kraków on the dates set by the Organizer.
2. The Festival's objective shall be to foster development of film art, promote ambitious artistic repertoire, arrange meetings with filmmakers from all over the world as well as to stimulate the film industry in Poland and to award the best films and their authors.
3. The Festival shall be an international event.
4. In order to select films to be screened during the Festival (including their presence in the individual Competitions) and also to provide supervision over the proper course of events during the Festival, a Festival Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Committee") shall be established. At the same time, it is hereby agreed as follows:
4.1 all the members of the Committee, including the Chairman, shall be appointed by the Organizer;
4.2 the list of films qualified by the Committee for screening at the Festival, including those qualified by the Committee for individual Competitions, shall be announced by the Organizer by April the 23th, 2020; the Committee's decision shall be final and requires no justification.
1. The Festival programme shall include:
1.1 the following festival competitions (hereinafter referred to as the "Competitions"):
(a) the Main Competition for the Kraków Film Award (hereinafter referred to as the "Main Competition"); it is hereby agreed that in aggregate up to 10 films submitted and qualified for the Main Competition shall take part in the Main Competition according to the Competition Rules and Regulations presented here;
(b) competition for the FIPRESCI Award (hereinafter referred to as the "FIPRESCI Competition"); it is hereby agreed that the films taking part in the Main Competition shall take part in the FIPRESCI Competition;
(c) competition for the Award for the Polish Feature Film (hereinafter referred to as the "Polish Feature Film Competition");
(d) competition for the Audience Award (hereinafter referred to as the "Competition for the Audience Award"); it is hereby agreed that the films taking part in the Main Competition and in the Polish Feature Film Competition shall take part in the Audience Award competition.
1.2 films screened outside the competitions in sections specified each time by the Organizer;
1.3 press conferences;
1.4 lectures and training workshops;
1.5 related events.
2. Rules of the Polish Feature Film Competition are set out in detailed rules and regulations.
3. The Organizer may establish additional competition categories at their sole discretion.
4. The Organizer shall charge entrance fees – due to the rules set out in § 6 paragraph 2.2 (c) of the Competition Rules and Regulations (hereinafter referred to as the “Entrance Fees”). Entrance fees are not refundable - in particular, also in case of not qualifying the film for projection during the Festival or withdrawing the film from the Festival.
1. The winners of individual Competitions shall be granted the following awards:
1.1 The Main Competition: the Kraków Film Award comprising a statuette (the prestigious component of the award) and a cash amount (the cash component of the award) of USD 100.000* gross (in words: one hundred thousand US dollars), representing the (gross) equivalent of a PLN amount, calculated at the average PLN/USD exchange rate published by the National Bank of Poland and applicable on the date indicated by the Organizer on the day in the period 6th May 2018 – 23th April 2020, in accordance with the Section 6 of this paragraph (hereinafter referred to as the "Award Establishment Date") – regarding the restrictions of the ruling defined by section 8 of the hereby paragraph - to be granted to the director of the winning film presented in the Main Competition (hereinafter referred to as the "KFA Winner") and selected by the international Jury of the Main Competition (all members of the international Jury, including the Chairman, shall be appointed by the Organizer); if a winning film would have more than one main director, the Krakow Film Award shall be paid in the manner indicated in the directors’ of the winning picture unanimous written statement, delivered to the Organizer by the end of the year 2020 – otherwise KFA Winner loses the right to the cash component of the Kraków Film Award.
1.2 The FIPRESCI Competition: the FIPRESCI Award comprising a diploma for the director of a winning film presented during the FIPRESCI Competition (hereinafter referred to as the "FIPRESCI Winner");
1.3 Competition for the Audience Award - the Audience Award comprising one statuette and the amount of 10.000 PLN gross (in words: ten thousand zlotys) - granted to the director of the winning film (hereinafter referred to as the “Laureate of the Audience Award”), screened in the Competition for the Audience Award, selected by the viewers of the films taking part in the Competition for the Audience Award.
2. The cash component of the Kraków Film Award as well as the amount of the Audience Award referred to in Section 1 of this paragraph shall be gross amount subject to income tax withholding in accordance with the laws applicable in this respect in Poland.
3. The Organizer may refuse to deliver the cash component of the Kraków Film Award to the KFA Winner, if the latter was not present at the Festival Closing Gala at the moment that the KFA Winner was announced. The Organizer may not refuse to deliver the award for the reasons specified in the preceding sentence if the Closing Gala when the KFA Winner was announced was attended by a representative of the KFA Winner, previously approved by the Organizer in writing (otherwise the approval shall be deemed null and void). Each time in the case of absence of the KFA Winner at the Closing Gala in person when the KFA Winner was announced, the Organizer (unless he exercises his right to what has been identified in the first sentence of this Section) may refrain from issuing the cash component of the Krakow Film Award within additional 24 months counting from the lapse of time limit for issuing the award which has been earlier established in accord with other provisions of the Competition Rules and Regulations (also counting from the date of the KFA Winner’s exercising the duties from Sections 4 of this paragraph) without any claims of the KFA Winner against the Organizer, including paying interest in particular.
4. Within 100 days after granting the right to the Kraków Film Award, the KFA Winner shall be obliged to submit to the Organizer, on a free-of-charge basis:
4.1 two professional photographs (vertical and horizontal, in 300 DPI resolution each) of the KFA Winner (including transfer of rights thereto) for the purposes of Festival promotion (including promotion of subsequent Festival editions); if the KFA Winner is present on the Festival Closing Gala, the Organizer reserves the right to take a photograph of the KFA Winner at the so-called ‘Festival wall’ for Festival promotional purposes including future editions of the Festival (with the right to use the image);
4.2 a short film made by the KFA Winner (in screening quality for cinemas including transfer of copyrights thereto) containing a speech by the KFA Winner about the importance of the award granted to them and the opportunities they think it creates, for Festival promotion purposes (including future Festival editions). To clarify the above, the Organizer shall use the abovementioned film (in any form chosen by the KFA Winner i.a. an etude, a feature speech) at future Festivals i.a. prior to competition film screenings in order to show to the audience the importance of the Cracow Film Award for filmmakers, and define its purpose and the subject mission of the Award. The Organizer shall inform the KFA Winner about the technical parameters of the mentioned film after the end of the Festival. Upon request, the Organizer shall share with the KFA Winner films from previous years to serve as essential examples for easier preparation.
4.3 a scan of the KFA Winner’s signature (an autograph) for the purpose of the festival’s promotion (including subsequent editions of the Festival):
- a detailed scope as well as terms and conditions of performance of the foregoing obligations of the KFA Winner shall be set forth by the Organizer.
5. Subject to any provisions of the following sentence, regardless of the deadlines for the payment of the cash component of the Kraków Film Award, as specified in the Competition Rules and Regulations, the Organizer shall have the right to withhold payment of the full amount of the cash component of the Kraków Film Award, or of any part thereof (at the Organizer's sole discretion), until the KFA Winner fulfils all their obligations specified in Section 4 of this paragraph, with no claims raised by the KFA Winner against the Organizer, including, in particular, claims for payment of interest. The Organizer reserves the right to withhold the remaining sum of the KFA, should the requirements of the ruling defined by section 4 of the hereby paragraph were not met within the period of 12 months counting from the date of granting the Krakow Film Award.
6. The Award Establishment Date shall be ……th…… 202…**
7. Any awards not provided for in the Competition Rules and Regulations may be granted only upon prior consultation with the Organizer.
8. Due to economic reasons, including possible financial crises or other events of similar character, the Organizer is required to include the potential risk of not obtaining financial funds to cover the full extent of the Festival organizational costs planned at the time of the publishing of the Festival Rules, including the payment of the Krakow Film Award in the sum mentioned in this paragraph. Therefore, the Organizer reserves the right to modify the Competition Rules and Regulations also in the context of the financial aspect of Krakow Film Award other than the one defined in section 1.1 of this paragraph. The change in the Competition Rules and Regulations should be made not later than until 31st of March 2020 and could diminish the sum of Krakow Film Award stated in section 1.1 of this paragraph but not below $ 50,000. The change in the Competition Rules and Regulations in this context could not be considered legal ground to lay claims against the Organizer – especially one regarding the payment of Krakow Film Award in the sum from before a possible change to the Competition Rules and Regulations.
1. Films to be screened during the Festival, including those taking part in the Competitions, may be submitted by the producers or distributors thereof, as well as by other entities having the right to use and dispose of the film concerned (hereinafter referred to as the "Entrant"). It is hereby agreed as follows:
1.1 submission of a film to the Festival shall be deemed equivalent to submission by the Entrant to the Organizer of:
(a) a statement to the effect that: (i) the Entrant has acquainted themselves with the Competition Rules and Regulations, and accepts the content hereof, (ii) each and every person who might become a winner of any Award to be granted in the Competitions has acquainted themselves with the Competition Rules and Regulations, and accepts the content hereof;
(b) a statement of granting to the Organizer: (i) a licence (relating to the copyrights and neighbouring rights, with the right to grant sublicences) for the use of the film during the Festival, in facilities used for the purpose of the Festival, in compliance with which the Organizer is authorised to using the film (in whole or in the form of freely chosen fragments thereof) via recording for screening purposes, screening, public presentation, copying in a chosen technique for broadcasting purposes, entering the same into computer memory for broadcasting purposes; (ii) a licence (referring to copyright and neighbouring rights, with the right to grant sublicences) allowing the Organizer to use the informational materials regarding the film, its producer and co-authors in all known operational spheres for the sake of the Festival’s and/or Competition’s and/or given film’s promotion;
1.2 films qualified for the Competitions shall be made available to the Organizer free of charge - the Organizer is not due to grant any benefit or advantage of another kind;
1.3. The Organizer shall reserve the right to refuse admittance to the Festival (including individual Competitions) of films which, in particular:
(a) include any content that incites hatred based on national, ethnic, racial, or religious grounds or for reason of lack of any religious denomination, or that might insult one's religious feelings,
(b) include any content that might pose a threat to the life or health of minors,
(c) were produced as a result of any actions that may have exposed people or animals to a loss of life or health,
(d) may otherwise be in breach of the laws applicable in Poland or moral standards;
1.4 Films qualified for the Festival (including for the individual Competitions) shall be submitted by the Entrant to the Organizer only on one of the following carriers in the PAL format:
(a) 35mm tape, with optical or magnetic soundtrack;
(d) DV Cam;
(e) HD Cam;
(g) Blu- ray;
(h) HD file - preferred codec - Apple ProRes 422 or MP4 (h264) with high bitrate (high quality mp4);
1.5 the 35mm tape, DCP or HD Cam shall be the preferred formats for the films; if any film has been submitted in a format other than the 35mm tape, the Organizer shall have the right (with no fees incurred in this connection) to copy the copies of the films received to a computer hard disc in order to screen the same during the Festival;
2. A film submitted to and qualified for screening at the Festival may not be withdrawn by the Entrant or by any other person without prior written (otherwise it shall be null and void) consent of the Organizer.
1. A feature film or a film that constitutes an independent artistic work may be submitted to take part in the Main Competition, provided that its total screening time is no less than 60 minutes and that it is a work of fiction, not documentary filmmaking.
2. Submission of a film for The Main Competition:
2.1 is available only via the Internet application available at: https://www.filmfreeway.com/;
2.2 shall be deemed effective only if:
(a) is made no later than by February the 15th 2020; The Organizer shall reserve the fact that the films submitted after January the 30th 2020 may (but need not) be considered when creating the list of films selected for screening within the Festival, referred to in § 2, point 4.2 of the Competition Rules and Regulations;
(b) by the date to be specified by the Organizer the latter has received a screening copy of the film with information materials including (when possible):
- a brief description of the film, including the credits
- a selection of stills either in electronic form or on the film's website,
- 1 to 3 posters (plus a digital file in the TIFF, EPS or PDF format and in a quality enabling the printout of a high-quality poster),
- a DVD or a video clip (only in the Beta PAL format) for the purposes of Festival promotion;
(c) will be paid the Entrance Fee in the amount of:
- 35.00 USD – in case of applications filed by December, 24, 2019;
- 45.00 USD – in case of supplications filed by January, 24, 2020;
- 55.00 USD – in case of applications filed after January, 24, 2020;
The Entrance Fee is payable: (i) in U.S. dollars, (ii) and accessible via the website https://www.filmfreeway.com/ application, which supports payment transactions;
2.3 a film with dialogues in any language other than English shall have the dialogue track in English.
3. The Organizer shall return the screening copy of the film only upon the Entrant's express request and at their cost.
4. The Entrant shall be notified of the fact that their film has been selected to be screened during the Festival in writing or by e-mail; the correspondence shall include detailed instruction on the dispatch of the film copy.
The winner of the Competition for the Audience Award is a film which had the highest number of votes given by the viewers attending the screenings of the films participating in the Competition for the Audience Award. The votes are cast on ballot papers (or in any different way of voting and/or counting the number of votes determined by the Organizer) prepared and made available by the Organizer. Only the votes granted during the first two screenings of the film during the Festival will be taken into account.
If at least two films score equal highest number of votes, the winner of the Competition for the Audience Award shall be selected from among the film directors of these films by the Committee.
1. The winner of the FIPRESCI Competition will be selected by the Jury (hereinafter referred to as "Jury FIPRESCI") convened by The International Federation of Film Critics FIPRESCI ("FIPRESCI Fédération Internationale de la Presse Cinématographique International Federation of Film Critics") and acting due to the principles described by the Federation, in particular available at http://www.fipresci.org/about/regulations.htm
2. The verdict of FIPRESCI Jury (and the FIPRESCI Award giving) will be announced during the Closing Gala of the Festival.
1. The Organizer shall bear the costs of transport and insurance of the film copies within the Festival only with respect to the transport thereof from and/or to the actual provider of the said copy. The Organizer does not pay/ cover the costs of providing copies and/ or insurance paid by the Entrant or any other provider of the copy, unless the parties agree otherwise in writing (otherwise the approval shall be deemed null and void) agreement.
2. Should the copy be lost or seriously damaged when held by the Organizer, the financial liability of the latter shall be limited exclusively to the refunding to the producer or distributor the costs of making a new copy.
1. The Competition Rules and Regulations have been drawn up in Polish and in English. Should any doubts arise as to the interpretationion of the provisions of the Competition Rules and Regulations, the Polish version hereof shall prevail.
2. In case of any conflict between the provisions of the Competition Rules and Regulations and those of the detailed rules and regulations, provisions of the detailed rules and regulations shall prevail.
*The prize cash amount specified in the Competition Rules and Regulations is an example and represents the (gross) equivalent of a PLN amount, calculated at the average PLN/USD exchange rate published by the National Bank of Poland, applicable on the Award Establishment Date (hereinafter: the “Base Amount KFA”); for example - the USD / PLN exchange rate on the Award Establishment Date is 1 USD = 3.00 PLN; the Base Amount KFA is then 300.000,00 PLN). The Krakow Film Award will be paid until September 30th, 2020, but not earlier than September 1st, 2020, to the bank account indicated by the KFA Winner, but not before providing such data as: first name, surname, date of birth, tax identification number, parents' names, exact address, bank account number. The Krakow Film Award shall be paid out in Polish Zlotys in the (gross) amount of the Base Amount KFA, i.e. the equivalent of 100.000,00 USD expressed in PLN on the average exchange rate USD/PLN published by the National Bank of Poland applicable on the Award Establishment Date. In the case of Organizer’s acceptance of the KFA Winner’s application of the Krakow Film Award payment in the exchangeable currency as indicated by the KFA Winner (within the meaning of the act of The Foreign Exchange Law from July, 27th 2002, Journal of Laws 2012 item 826 ct.), the Krakow Film Award shall be paid out in such a currency in the amount (gross) of the Base Amount KFA equivalent on the average rate of this currency as published by the National Bank of Poland applicable on the day of making the commission of payment by the Organizer. Irrespectively of the aforementioned ways of fulfilling the commitment to pay the Krakow Film Award with the payment (in USD) for the KFA Winner in the amount of 100.000,00 USD – in such a case the payment of 100.000,00 USD constitutes the fulfillment of the entire commitment to pay out the Krakow Film Award.
** Competition Rules and Regulations shall be completed in this scope by the Organizer not later than 23th April 2020
President of The Management Board of Fundacja OFF CAMERA