INDIE has become a reference among film festivals in Brazil, due to its persistence, the quality of its programming, and especially the loyalty of its audience. For the second time in 20 years, we will not be physically close to our dear and faithful spectators, as the screenings will be online. However, at this moment and more than ever, we consider it even quite relevant to carry out this festival. We are living hard and dark times in Brazil, facing obscurity and intolerance, so more than ever we must exist and resist.
About INDIE: the festival was created in 2001 in Belo Horizonte, and since 2007 happens in São Paulo as well. The festival's mission is to bring international independent films to the widest possible audience in Brazil. The Festival aims to provide a cultural alternative to the commercial film experience, to support independent filmmakers, and promote the art of filmmaking.
INDIE festival has promoted and screened hundreds of international films in the past editions, helping films reach the right audience. The festival was created to encourage the exhibition of new films without distribution in Brazil, especially those by new directors. In past years, the festival counted more than 500,000 spectators. Many directors have their work shown in complete retrospectives: Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Béla Tarr, Brillante Mendoza, Charles Burnett, Naomi Kawase, Koji Wakamatsu, Hong Sang-Soo, Claire Denis, Philippe Grandrieux, Wang Bing, Jean-Claude, Brisseau, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, among many others.
The 2021 festival edition is dedicated to national and international independent features and shorts. INDIE online edition will happen in December 2021, from 09 to 15 in Brazil. This is the 20th edition of the festival, and the second one to be held online.
A selected jury will be responsible to choose the best films presented in this online festival edition. Three awards will be given:
BEST WORLD CINEMA FILM: For the best international feature presented
BEST INDIE BRAZIL FILM: For the best national feature presented
BEST FLUXUS FILM: For the best national or international short presented
For the BEST WORLD CINEMA FILM, a distribution prize will be given. The film selected will receive an MG and will be able for theatrical distribution in Brazil by Zeta Filmes.
The decision of jury members will be final and accepted by all. No inquiries or arguments will be entertained. The organizers reserve the right not to award any or all of the prizes. Other prizes shall be given and announced on time.
- Entries will be open from April 05th for fiction and documentary features, short films, both national and international, produced between 2020 and 2021.
- International films must not have been shown in Brazil before the festival and must have their premiere in the INDIE 2021 edition.
- National films shall not be shown theatrically in Brazil until the Festival date.
A screener link of the film will be asked to be watched online by the selection committee. For locked and secured links, a password must be provided. INDIE will not accept submissions in DVD, Blu Ray, or any physical format.
. For submission purposes, international films may be in any language. However, the film must have English subtitles.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
MATERIAL OF SELECTED FILMS FOR ONLINE SCREENING IN FESTIVAL
- Films sent via a link for viewing on digital platforms must have the following specifications:
Video codec: h264
Audio codec: AAC
Minimum bitrate of 15,000 kbps
Full HD Resolution (1920x1080)
- Clean version, without subtitles (subtitles, if necessary, will be inserted in the online player). The selected works will be shown in streaming, in a secure and exclusive platform, limited to the Brazilian territory. Viewers will be asked to register to watch the films. The screenings will have a limited number of viewers.
PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL OF SELECTED FILMS
For the film that is selected to be screened at the festival, the following promotional material must be sent:
- Credits/Production credits.
- Trailer or official teaser of the film to be posted on the festival's website (preferably Vimeo).
- Lists of original dialogues and in English.
- Minimum of 3 photos of the film in high resolution.
- Biography and complete filmography of the director(s).