First Crossings is a young festival platform for discovering new film languages. Based in the cross-border area between Slovenia and Italy, we welcome films that somehow revolve around the border in the broadest sense of the word, be it in the context of form or content. We encourage original, daring, and underrepresented ideas with social, dramatic, and transformative impact to draw attention towards the short audio-visual forms of all genres.
Call for entries is now open.
Deadline for submitting is August 10, 2023.
We are thrilled to inform you that we have just opened the call for FIRST CROSSINGS, a festival platform dedicated to discovering new film languages, a section that presents brave, youth–hearted, innovative authors that find exciting ways to explore new cinematic perspectives. It will be organized within the compelling film festival program of Tribute To A Vision, organized by the audiovisual center Kinoatelje. We are proud to offer a symbolic cash prize to our best short, awarded by our esteemed jury members, as well as our dear audiences.
Applicants are required to fulfill the application via FilmFreeway.
What kind of films do we accept?
All genres and formats up to 30 min. of length *
(*Films must have been completed in the current or previous three years).
Who can apply?
Open to projects from the whole world.
(Any Foreign film that is not in English must have English subtitles.)
Dates and venue
From 16-22 October 2023 in the cross-border region around Nova Gorica (Slovenia) and Gorizia (Italy).
Should filmmakers require extensions or have questions, they can contact us at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing your films!
More about the festival: https://www.poklonviziji.com/first-crossings
- Jury award (500 euros)
- Audience award (recognition)
The submission period for the 2023 First Crossings opens May 26, 2023, and closes August 10, 2023. All entries must be made by sending an online submission via FilmFreeway. The entry fee is 15 $ per submission, except for Slovenian or Italian-based authors and production companies for whom we offer a special 5 $ fee. Students have a special discount of 5 $ as well.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. To submit a film, you must have created the project yourself, own the rights, or have permission for the content to submit the film to us.
2. Films must not be published or posted online (without a password) to be eligible for our festival, prizes, or awards.
3. By submitting your film, you authorize us to use, distribute and share the film materials on our web page on our social media, or for educational, promotional, and non-commercial purposes.
4. In case of an online edition of the festival you agree to have a temporary online broadcast of your film.
5. We do not require the regional premiere status of your films, but if submitted and accepted for screening you can’t withdraw them.
Waivers: We provide fee waiver codes for festival alumni and Slovenian/Italian authors or productions. Please contact us if needed.