Film Maudit 2.0 (www.filmmaudit.org) is a showcase and celebration of new outré, unusual and startling films. Now approaching its 5th edition, the fest is inspired by legendary artist Jean Cocteau’s festival, Le Film Maudit, which celebrated a group of films that were criminally overlooked and neglected at the time.
The term film maudit literally means “cursed films,” and this showcase of counter-cinema blends together narrative, documentary and experimental films that in their style and/or subject matter, are deliberately bold, extreme, confrontational, troubling, shocking and/or unusual.
We are looking for adventuresome works that eschew conventional genre & format expectations and deal with socio-political issues, taboo subjects, and challenge artistic assumptions and sexual mores. These works can be in the form of feature films, short films, pilots, VR, and works that cross disciplines.
The festival is co-presented by and takes place in part at Southern California's boldest center for new performance and media arts, Highways Performance Space & Gallery in Santa Monica, CA. In its 34th year, Highways continues to be an important alternative cultural center in Los Angeles that encourages radical artists from diverse communities to develop and present innovative new works. Described by the Los Angeles Times as “a hub of experimental theater, dance, solo drama and other multimedia performance,” Highways promotes the development of contemporary socially involved artists and art forms.
1. Films can be of any length. Shorts are considered 0-29 minutes. Extended Shorts are considered 30-59 minutes. Any film over 60 minutes is considered feature length.
2. Any foreign language film must be submitted with English subtitles.
3. Submitted films must have been completed (or premiered) between June 2022 and February 2024.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. By submitting to Film Maudit 2.0, you are granting Highways Performance Space and Gallery the right to usage of any excerpt of your film for promotional content.
2. Once a film is submitted, it may not be withdrawn under any circumstances.
3. Screening fees will not be provided.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org