The Urban Mediamakers Film Festival (UMFF) is a not-for-profit, charitable 501(c)(3) organization that has evolved into a festival that promotes and supports independent content creators and multimedia productions — animation, advertising/marketing campaigns, commercials, film, music, new media, print, television, video and web series. Guided by past wisdom and reflecting the new and exciting generation of new technology, we are dedicated to thinking out of the traditional box as we pursue our dreams courageously.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
"Content Creators Changing the World, One Story at a Time" is the theme of the 16th Urban Mediamakers Film Festival, October 5-10, 2017 in Atlanta and Lawrenceville, Georgia. Recognizing media as a powerful tool of choice for entertaining, informing, and inspiring, this annual content creators' festival showcases international independent media emphasizing work produced by or featuring individuals of color - African, Asian, Black, Hispanic and Latino.
UMFF brings an exciting and creative atmosphere that encompasses cultural diversity, with activists, content creators, artists, writers and TV/movie buffs together under one roof to meet, collaborate and strategize for world change!
Actors, artists, content creators, filmmakers, graphic designers, musicians and writers have an opportunity to gain exposure for their projects, compete for the best-of-the-best with prizes in each category, attend industry-related educational series, along with excellent networking.
Movie buffs, content creators, independent film and mix-media supporters have the opportunity to see a diverse group of superb films that are not available in mainstream theaters.
The festival includes:
-- opening reception and premiere.
-- script reading featuring a scene from the top three screenplays in competition.
-- independent film screenings.
-- workshops and panels.
-- youth screening series.
-- distributors seeking independent films.
-- awards presentation and closing event.
-- closing night film.
-- audience award.
-- filmmaker and writer collaboration sessions (SpeedCollabs).
-- winning films will be showcased in the Urban Mediamakers Content Creators Tour with screenings in the Southeast, Las Vegas, NV, Santa Monica, CA, Los Angeles, CA and other locations to be announced.
UMFF attendees have an opportunity to network with their peers and executives for collaborations on future projects, as well as interact with an audience that supports independent mediamaking.
YOUR film or script will make our festival phenomenal! Submit to UMFF 2017 today!
Peace and blessings,
Awards & Prizes
The winners of each category will receive a trophy, certificate, gift bag with products & services, consultation services and digital airing of winning films and trailers (15 or less minutes run time). (Projects must be family-friendly to air.) Additionally, winners receive products/services from UMFF 2017 partners and sponsors.
Rules & Terms
Urban Mediamakers Film Festival Rules
1. The Board of Directors of the Urban Mediamakers Festival and guest judges will select projects which will be presented in the competition and for screening. Each official selection will receive a Certificate of Participation.
2. Only projects that meet the following criteria may be chosen as official selections:
i) Films that have been produced during the 36 months preceding the Urban Mediamakers Festival;
ii) If participating in the “Short Film” category, films should not exceed 30 minutes in length, including credits.
iii) Official selections that are 30 minutes or shorter must be prepared to provide electronic copies of their projects for exhibition. Online preview and DVDs may be submitted for screeners.
3. An official selection of the Urban Mediamakers Film Festival cannot screen in metro-Atlanta, Georgia three months prior to the festival.
4. Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme.
5. All non-English speaking films must be presented in their original version with English subtitles. All subtitling expenses are to be met by the film’s producer.
6. We encourage English language films to provide subtitles in Spanish for the final screened version.
7. The Board of Directors selects all members of the jury for competition and screening. Each jury member will vote by a secret ballot. No person having taken part in the production or promotion of a film in competition may be on the jury.
8. The jury is obliged to award the best project in each category: Shorty Short, Short, Music Video, Feature, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short, Animation, TV Series, Youth Film, College Student Short Film, Web Series, Commercial, Advertising/Marketing Campaign.
9. All projects to be submitted for the official selection must be entered and postmarked by midnight on August 18, 2017. An entry form must be completed for all submissions.
10. All projects submitted must reach the Festival office by August 21, 2017.
15. If your film is selected, you will be notified on or before September 1, 2017.
16. On being selected you must supply to us your work as an electronic file(s) via DropBox (or another service), digital/electronic copy of the film by September 15, 2017.
18. The Film Festival office can provide you with further details if your project is selected.
19. Any expenses for the shipping (for both import and export), screening and translation of projects and media presented to the selection committee with a view to their possible selection, are to be met by the film’s producers or relevant body.
All expenses for the transportation and insurance of prints are also the responsibility of their owner.
20. If your project is selected for exhibit at the Festival, it is the requirement of the Festival that you put forth all effort to attend the festival, at your own travel/lodging expense to promote and support your film, and collect your award.
21. The Film Festival office has the power to settle all cases not covered by the present rules and regulations.
22. Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations and respect of submission and screening conditions. Furthermore by completing the initial online submission form (you/ your company) agree to the Festival’s terms and rules.