Leuven International Short Film Festival is the yearly 'place to be' in December for film professionals in the Benelux and abroad. As Academy Award Qualifying festival since 2012 and BAFTA award qualifying since 2016, it's the main Belgian gateway to the most renowned award ceremonies worldwide.
The festival will take place from Saturday December 2 until Saturday December 9 in the beautiful medieval city of Leuven. The festival programme consists of more than 100 screenings in +3 venues. The programme contains live action films, animated shorts, music videos, short films for children and non-narrative shorts. Every year, the festival screens more than 200 short films from all over the world, divided into more than +25 different compilations. Beside the film programme, the festival organises challenging masterclasses, workshops and panel discussions, facilitating film professionals from Belgium and abroad with inspiring moments of learning and discussion.
Awards & Prizes
- Jury Award for Best Live-Action Short Film: 1.000€ + Academy Award™ Qualifying
- Audience Award for Best Live-Action Short Film: 1.000€
- Jury Award for Best Live-Action Short Film: 10.000€ shooting kit hire from Eye Lite + Academy Award™ Qualifying
- Audience Award for Best live-action Short Film: 2.000€ + 10.000€ post production support from Mikros Image and A-Sound.
- Jury Award for Best Debut Live-Action Short Film: 1.500€
- Audience Award for Best Animation Short Film: 1.500€
Rules & Terms
- Live action or animated film
- Duration: max. 40 min.
- Finished after January 1st, 2016 (European Competition)
- Finished after September 15th, 2016 (Flemish Competition)
- English subtitled (!)
- Entry deadline (international): August 1, 2017, 12pm (date of upload). We strongly advice to submit your film earlier than the official deadline.
- Entry deadline (Flemish): September 15, 2017.
The festival will not confirm the receipt of submissions. We kindly ask you to refrain from calling or emailing us to confirm the receipt of your material. All applicants will be notified via e-mail about the selection or rejection of their film at the end of October. No earlier feedback is given.
If the original language of the submitted film is other than English, the film must be subtitled in English. We also require English subtitles for Dutch language films. Your film will not be considered if not subtitled in English (if not English spoken).
The selection committee’s decision to select or reject a film is final. No correspondence will be held in regards to this decision. If a film is selected for one of the competition programmes of Leuven International Short Film Festival, it can no longer be withdrawn.
When selected, your short film may be shown at the public library of Leuven as part of the European AVA project. In designated screening booths or via library users' online account.
The festival will have one extra day. On December 21st, European day of Short Film, all winners will be screened one more time.