Kaleidoscope's mission is to provide innovative and unique programming that will engage the hearts and minds of audiences in the State of Arkansas and the surrounding region.
Kaleidoscope celebrates the diversity of the LGBT community and filmmakers by presenting poignant and thought-provoking films documenting LGBT lives truthfully and with respect. The festival exhibits the power of film to transform lives and opinions of those both inside and outside the LGBT community through the universal medium of the cinema.
Kaleidoscope is Arkansas's only major outlet for LGBT films, as well as LGBT filmmakers.
Awards & Prizes
Entries are eligible for Audience & Juried Awards in the categories of Best Narrative Feature and Best Documentary Feature
Cheryl Maples Rainbow Award - Presented to the film that best exemplifies the struggle for social justice and/or equality.
Best Southern LGBT Feature and/or Short Film Award - Presented to the best feature and/or short film that was filmed in the the Southern United States. To qualify for this award the film must have been filmed in one of these states; Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Texas.
Rules & Terms
1.Kaleidoscope/Film Society of Little Rock is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
2. Runtimes: Short Films are any films 1 to 44 minutes in length. Feature films will be considered those that are 45+ minutes.
3. Digital online screener submissions are preferred using FilmFreeway’s digital submission process (Vimeo/YouTube links). Short Films are required to use the FilmFreeway digital submission process. For Feature length films, if you cannot submit via online screener then a Region 0 or Region 1 DVD or Bluray may be submitted. Any DVD/Bluray submitted will not be returned. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the submitted DVD/Bluray plays in a standard DVD/Bluray player.
4. All films submitted must be in English dialogue or contain onscreen English subtitles. The festival reserves the right to disqualify any film that does not meet this requirement.
5. More than one entry may be submitted. Each must be submitted with its own entry form and fee.
6. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to obtain all necessary copyrights. By submitting the film you maintain you have obtained all necessary rights for exhibition.
7. COMPLETION DATE: The film must have been completed on or after January 1, 2014.
8. PREMIERE STATUS: No premiere requirement
9. Works in progress may be submitted but it must be stated on the application. If selected it is the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the completed version arrives to the festival before the festival begins.
10. Films may have distribution.
11. All submissions are final. No refunds are provided.
Notification of Official Selections will be approximately 6 weeks before screening date.
If submission is selected into the festival, for exhibition purposes, an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) or H264 digital file will be required for all Short Films for exhibition purposes. All Features Films accepted to the festival, for exhibition purposes, the Applicant must submit a Region 0 or Region 1 Bluray or DCP. At least one “backup” copy Bluray is also required. (1 backup DVD is encouraged). The Digital File, DVD, DCP or Blurays must be received no later than 2 weeks before screening date. Instructions will accompany official notification.
For films accepted for exhibition, the festival will return any Hard Drives and Blurays if requested. This is for exhibition copies only.
SCHEDULING: Films are scheduled at the discretion of Kaleidoscope. Kaleidoscope retains the right to make changes to the published schedule at any time and for any reason. Films may be screened more than once. Short films may be screened at subsequent screenings for up 12 months. Every effort will be made to contact the filmmaker before a screening that occurs outside of the Kaleidoscope festival dates.
RELEASE Kaleidoscope is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Kaleidoscope from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.