Cherry Pop Film Festival is an international short film competition that aims to explore sexuality, gender and relationships through the eyes of filmmakers from all over the world. We address sexuality in film as both a cultural phenomenon and a product and aim to show how norms and perspectives on sexuality vary across cultures.
The Festival aims to capture the attention of audiences by not shying away from intimacy and sensuality on screen. Intimacy and sensuality are among a few topics that remain taboo in "polite" society, especially here in Croatia.
We are calling for filmmakers to submit their films and help us build a new platform for promoting dialogue about this private, but in the end — universal experience.
Sexuality is just another form of human interaction, just like film, so don’t be shy and show us what you got!
Submissions for the 2nd edition of the Cherry Pop Film Festival, to be held November 16-18, 2023 in Zagreb, Croatia, open on January 1, 2023. Submissions will be accepted for two programs.
- Main Program
Accepts submissions from around the world. Submissions must be short films no longer than 30 minutes dealing with the topic of sexuality.
- Student Program
Accepts submissions from students from around the world. Submissions must be short films no longer than 30 minutes dealing with the topic of sexuality.
Festival program consists of above mentioned competition programs as well of special thematic program - Cherry Pick.
- Main Jury will award Sweet Cherry for the best film
- optional special mentions
- Student Jury will award Sour Cherry for the best student film
- optional special mentions
• the deadline for registration is June 30, 2023
• the Festival reserves the right to invite films outside the specified deadlines
• films must be no longer than 30 minutes with credits
• the Festival accepts live action and animated narrative and documentary films
• films must be submitted in DCP/MP4 format
• the following materials must be submitted: an online screener, a brief synopsis of the film in English, at least 3 photographs or stills from the film, the director's photo and biography
• the Festival accepts films produced from January 1 2022 up until the end of the submissions period
• films must include English subtitles, unless the film is in the English language
• there is no limit on the number of films a filmmaker may submit
• the Festival does not pay screening fees
• the Festival does not offer refunds for submission fees
• only films which are selected will receive an official acceptance letter
• it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the submitted film can be downloaded by the Cherry Pop Film Festival team and that the password provided remains valid until the end of the Festival
• for the purpose of the promotion of films from the official program and the Cherry Pop Film Festival itself, the Festival may screen some of the award-winning or other selected films after the Festival dates. If a film is selected for such a screening, the applicant will be contacted in order to discuss screening conditions
• during the Festival, selected films can be viewed by accredited media representatives. The Festival is entitled to use the submitted screeners for this purpose
• by filing the submission form the applicant guarantees the accuracy of the submitted data
• by submitting a film, applicants provide the Festival with the right to use materials from it for promotional purposes
• by submitting a film, the applicant agrees that, because of programming considerations, the Festival may select a film for a different program than the one it was submitted to
• the Cherry Pop Film Festival shall not be held responsible for any unauthorized inclusion of any content in a film that might be the basis for claims by third parties
• the applicant may not withdraw a submitted film after the announcement of the official program. If a film is withdrawn after the announcement, the Festival reserves the right to claim damages
• the Festival is not obligated to give feedback and comment on the selection process
• the Festival reserves the right to write its own texts for the festival catalogue, programs, flyers and other promotional materials.
The above rules apply to both competition programs.