Located in Victoria's beautiful Bass Coast this festival celebrates creative story telling and cinematic production.
We are interested in short films from all over the world. Films with a focus on coastal environments. Films that tell unusual stories in fresh and innovative ways. Films about people and issues, films that explore social justice, films that examine cultural heritage, and films that celebrate the many wonders of nature and life on earth.
Our event is held in summer in Wonthaggi, Bass Coast's largest regional city. The festival will include screenings, forums with guest speakers and social events to allow filmmakers and audiences to network and interact with each other in a friendly and fun environment.
The festival will accept films in 3 main categories; Open, Local and Schools/Under18. there will be a number of awards given by a jury of experienced and qualified judges.
Awards and laurels will be presented for the best film film in each category. Best Open Film, Best Local film and Best Schools/Under 18 Film.
There will also be awards and laurels for;
Best Music Video
Best First Nations Film
Best Coastal Environment Film
People and Place Award
An Emerging Talent Award
At the judges discretion awards may also be presented for specific craft areas such as; directing, cinematography, sound design, acting, editing and screen writing.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING FESTIVAL RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE 2021 BASS COAST SHORTS FILM FESTIVAL.
- BCS stands for Bass Coast Shorts film festival.
- SUBMISSIONS: All submissions in to the festival must be made online through the FilmFreeway website by 11:59pm Pacific Time on 30/11/21.
- ENTERING THE RIGHT CATEGORY: Entrants to the festival must enter their film in the category or categories that they rightfully fit in to. Entrants must provide supporting evidence of age and residency if requested by BCS to support their category entry. Please refer to the category details above for more information.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION: Once the official selection has been announced, successful applicants will be notified via email. Once official selection has been announced the decision is final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter.
- SCREENING COPY: Required 15 days after official selection notification, if this is not received within 15 days of official selection notification BCS has the right to cancel your screening and official selection.
- AWARDS: 'Best Film' will be announced and made out to the producer.
- EXCERPTS: By entering this festival, entrants reserve the right for BCS to screen excerpts from their film/s for promotion of the festival for up until the following 2 years.
- RIGHTS: The producer and/or director must have the rights to all the material (e.g music) used in the film and can provide written evidence of this if requested by BCS.
- FILM REQUIREMENTS: Films entered in to the festival must be made from June 2019 or later and run for no longer than 20 minutes including opening titles and credits (this varies for some categories). Entrants must be able to provide proof of the date of creation of the film to BCS if requested.
- SUBTITLES: All foreign language films must be subtitled/dubbed in English to be eligible for judging.
- ENTRY FEES: Upon submitting a film, entrants will be required to pay a fee for EACH category entered before uploading their film. Entry fees cannot be refunded.
- TOURING OF FILMS: By entering the BCS, entrants reserve the right for BCS to screen their film without re-numeration for 18 months after the festival. This includes online versions of BCS.
- JUDGING: All films will be viewed by a judging panel appointed by BCS. All judging decisions are final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter. Once the winner of this award has been announced, the decision is final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1/ THE PRODUCER and any AUTHORISED PERSON entering this film has obtained from each contributor the authorisations to use of image, sound, performance and the reproduction of said image, sound, performance.
2/ THE PRODUCER/S and any AUTHORISED PERSON is the owner, has authorisation or license from the owner of the copyright in the sound recordings comprising the soundtrack to the film.
3/ COMPLETION DATE: On or after June 1st 2019.
4/ LENGTH: Films for the Bass Coast Shorts film festival for each category must be 20 minutes or less. Time must include all titles and credits.
5/ DEADLINE: Any films submitted after the 30/11/21 deadline will not be considered for the festival.
6/ SUBTITLES: All non-English language films must be subtitled/dubbed in English.
7/ ENTRY FEES: Are not refundable.
8/ TOURING: All films entered MUST be available to tour for 18 months after the festival without renumeration.
9/ PLEASE NOTE: While we will make EVERY EFFORT to stick to screening times once printed, BCS cannot be held accountable for changes to the schedule after schedule is announced.
10/ EXCERPTS/COPIES: By entering the Bass Coast Shorts film festival you agree that the festival may use your film/s for promotional and publicity purposes pertaining to the current years festival. BCS may also make a copy of films that are selected to screen for exhibition, and may also be used for media review purposes.