We are living in a new world, one that is evolving and changing all the time. We are moving with it. We are pleased to say that the 10th anniversary edition of ASFF will take place from 4-8 November 2020, York, UK. We will present a full programme both live and through digital streaming.
We are thrilled about this year's festival and will be delivering a programme that will excite and inspire you. It will enable you to reach new audiences and make those important industry connections.
The Aesthetica Short Film Festival (ASFF) is a BAFTA-Qualifying international film festival based in York, UK.
ASFF is an important outlet for moving image and digital culture, creating a platform to champion film from across the globe. It accepts short, feature, VR and immersive works from filmmakers based anywhere in the world, celebrating innovation in independent cinema. The festival holds talent development at its core and leaves a lasting legacy by supporting practitioners at all stages of their careers.
In addition to film screenings, ASFF hosts over 100 industry events, including masterclasses, panel discussions, networking events and pitching sessions with renowned distributors such as Film 4, BBC, Scottish Documentary Institute and Guardian. The festival provides an essential hub, offering a meeting place that encourages collaboration, learning and development.
Past guest speakers have included Dick Pope, Rankin, Tracy Granger, Chris Wyatt, Alice Lowe, Mary Burke, David Thompson, Mark Cousins, Richard Melman, Mick Audsley and Mike Prestwood-Smith as well as representatives from Aardman, BBC Films, Film4, BBC Writers Room, Framestore, Industrial Light & Magic, Pinewood Studios, British Vogue and many more.
The 2019 edition ran over a five-day period, receiving over 25,000 venue admissions and with over 400 films in competition. 2020 marks the festival’s 10th anniversary as one of the UK’s most revered film events.
Please Note: Concerning Covid-19, ASFF is still planning for the 2020 edition to take place from 4-8 November. The 10th Anniversary Edition of ASFF is still being programmed and we continue to welcome submissions. Films are being viewed and industry speakers are still attending.
- Best Advertising Film
- Best Animation Film
- Best Artists' Film
- Best Comedy Film
- Best Dance Film
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Drama Film
- Best Experimental Film
- Best Music Video
- Best Thriller Film
- Youth Award
- Peoples Choice Award
- Best Feature Film
- Best VR & Immersive Project
- Hijack Visionary Filmmaker Award
- BFI Network & Film Hub North Polaris Award
- Best of Fest (£1000 prize)
Supporting and Championing Short Film
We are looking for filmmakers who are driving film forward through inspirational and innovative works. Whether you are an established or emerging practitioner, we want to hear from you.
We accept submissions of short films across 11 genres : Advertising, Animation, Artists’ Film, Comedy, Dance, Documentary, Drama, Experimental, Fashion, Music Video and Thriller.
ASFF also accepts feature film projects. Feature films are considered to be 60 minutes or over. Entries are open to both narrative and documentary films.
Entires are also open to 360 film, VR and Immersive experiences. For 360 films, submitters should provide a downloadable MP4 version of the project that is compatible with an Oculus Go Headset. For immersive experiences, submitters must provide a downloadable link to a build as well as a detailed technical document.
The Official Selection of films will be shown in 18 venues across York, UK from 4-8 November 2020. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your work to an international audience of filmmakers, industry delegates and film fans. The entire Official Selection screens in competition.
- Entries open 1 December 2019
- Late Deadline is 7 June 2020
- The Official Selection will be announced in September 2020
- ASFF 2020 takes place in the City of York, UK from 4-8 November 2020
- Winners will be announced at the ASFF Awards Ceremony on Sunday 8 November 2020
- Short films should have a maximum running time of 30 minutes.
- Feature films are considered to have a runtime of 60 minutes or over.
- All films must be English language or subtitled in English.
- Your entry form must include your name, address, telephone number and email so that we can contact you.
- Your film must not be in breach of any copyright, including music or sound used in your film.
- The link to your video included in your submission form must not expire. Please check that the link is working.
- ASFF does not have a premiere requirement. We will accept submissions of films that have previously screened elsewhere, including at other festivals.
- ASFF does not grant fee waivers under any circumstances.
- ASFF does not cover licensing or screening fees for selected projects.
Should your film be selected for screening at ASFF 2020, there are specific technical requirements the screening copy of your film must meet. Please read these carefully : http://www.asff.co.uk/submit/requirements/
Selected filmmakers will be offered two festival passes for members of the film crew.