International Young Audience Film Festival Ale Kino!
APPLAUDED every year by several thousand spectators - amused, moved and engaged in discussion - those already literate with the art of cinema and those about to begin their film adventure.
EXPERIENCED, as befits a fifty-year-older, but still curious about the world.
COLLECTIVE, as a film crew, where all act jointly, but where there is also enough room for eccentric individualities.
LOCAL AND GLOBAL, owing to films from all over the world, to remind us that every place on earth can be its centre and the periphery forgotten.
OPEN to artistic transformation and technological revolutions that change the world, but mindful of what is passing.
FAMILY-LIKE, because we all desire a sense of security, closeness, belonging and acceptance, even though not all of us find them at home.
GIVING VOICE to children, parents, teachers, directors, actors, producers and critics, since the dialogue is based on listening.
CREATED OUT OF LOVE FOR THE CINEMA, with the feeling that love is a passion that also requires responsibility, fairness and respect.
EDUCATING young generations and eager to learn from them.
RICH with the number of screenings and the power of message of that one film we will remember for a lifetime.
We are fascinated by the cinema addressed to children and youth. Good cinema. Open to various ways of perceiving the world and fluent with many languages of the film. Happy to present premieres, at the same time we nostalgically recall classic and forgotten images. We award both renowned productions and films just entering the screens. We invite the doyens of the cinema and debutants alike, but most of all – we invite viewers.
We are happy about the prizes awarded by:
Polish Film Institute – category: Young Audience Educational Project (2008)
Polish Film Institute – category: International Film Event of the Year (2012)
The European Citizen's Prize awarded by the European Parliament (2012)
The professional international jury shall award:
- Golden Goats to the best full-length film for children and a cash prize of EUR 4,000 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to the best short film for children and a cash prize of EUR 1,500 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to best full-length film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 4,000 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to best short film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 1,500 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
The young people’s jury awards:
- the Marcin prize to the best full-length film for young people
- the Marcin prize to the best short film for young people.
The children’s jury awards:
- the Marcinek prize to the best full-length film for children
- the Marcinek prize to the short film for children.
The teacher’s jury award:
- the Teacher’s Prize to the best full-length film for children.
Festival audience award:
- the Audience Prize to the best full-length film for young people.
The Festival Organisers annually award the special prize of Platinum Goats for the excellent film or audiovisual media output aimed at young audiences.
Regulations of the 40. Ale Kino! International Young Audience Film Festival
1. 40. Ale Kino! International Young Audience Film Festival (hereinafter referred to as the Festival) will be held in cinemas in Poznań from October 1st to October 7th, 2022 and from November 30th to December 4th, 2022 in a hybrid format. In the hybrid part of the festival, films will be presented in a form of online screenings, with the use of a video player embedded onto the Festival’s website. Screenings in Poznań will take place if the binding COVID-19 rules and restrictions in Poland and in the city of Poznań allow it.
2. The aim of the Festival is to present and promote valuable films for children and young people.
3. The Festival is organised by Centrum Sztuki Dziecka w Poznaniu (Children’s Art Centre in Poznań, the Organiser).
4. The Festival Director is the director of the Children’s Art Centre in Poznań unless the director of the Children’s Art Centre in Poznań or superior authority designates another person.
5. The Festival programme comprises of the following sections:
a) International Competition of full-length and short films for children and young people, featuring films made between 2020 and 2022. Full-length and short films (live-action as well as animated ones) are eligible for the competition. Competition films will be evaluated in two categories: films for children and films for young people. The categories are assigned by the Organiser.
b) Fringe sections and special screenings, where out-of-competition films for children, young people and adults are presented.
SELECTION OF FILMS
6. The call for entries opens on February 1st, 2022.
7. Films may be entered by their authors, producers or other authorised persons.
8. Whether a film will be admitted to the Festival is decided by the Organiser.
9. Only the films which have been entered within the specified time limit and in compliance with these Regulations are subject to selection for Festival screenings. Each entry must be accompanied by:
a) An entry form completed online (available from www.alekino.com and FilmFreeway).
b) A screener with the film in an English language version or with English subtitles.
10. The competition is open to films that meet the following criteria:
a) Are live-action or animated films, either full-length or short ones, made after January 1, 2020. ‘Full-length’ should be understood as longer than 60 minutes. ‘Short’ should be understood as shorter than 30 minutes.
b) Films are available as a DCP, digital files or BluRay. Screening from other sources is acceptable provided it is agreed with the Festival Organiser in advance. Films can be screened both in cinemas and via the video player embedded onto the Festival’s website, on the terms agreed directly with the Entrants, after the film has been qualified for the Festival
c) Represent a separate artistic whole.
11. The final deadline for submitting entry forms and materials for the competition section is June 17th, 2022.
12. It is the Entrant’s responsibility to obtain authorisation to use and enter the film in the Festival.
13. All Entrants will be notified of the selection results as soon as the selection process is complete.
14. In the event of selecting a film for the competition, the Entrant shall provide the following immediately:
a) a scan of a printed and signed entry form;
b) information for the Festival catalogue (the Organiser will provide the details as to what information is necessary);
c) subtitles in a language agreed upon with the Organiser;
d) other promotional materials.
The signed entry forms and other materials must be sent to the following address:
full-length films: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
short films: firstname.lastname@example.org
OTHER RIGHTS OF THE FESTIVAL
15. The Entrant grants the Festival the right to use the following materials:
a) a copy of the film for the purposes of cinema screenings and (optionally) the right to use the file containing the film for the agreed number of screenings via the video player embedded in the Festival website, under the conditions agreed upon with the Festival;
b) the submitted promotional materials: in Festival publications (printed materials, Festival website, catalogues, Festival programme) and for the purposes of promoting the Festival in the media. The Entrant hereby agrees that the submitted materials may be edited by the Organiser;
c) parts of the film: in television and internet reports connected with the Festival, and for the purposes of promoting the film and the Festival (a trailer or a fragment up to 2 minutes long for a full-length film and up to 1 minute for a short film).
16. The Organiser reserves the right to use parts of the film and promotional materials provided by the Entrant to promote subsequent Festival editions in accordance with Article 15. Subject to the provisions of Articles 16 and 17 the Entrant grants the Organiser a licence or authorises the Organiser, as applicable, to exercise derivative rights in the Work free of charge.
17. The copies of the films selected for participation in the Festival should be delivered in physical form to the address of the Festival Organiser:
Centrum Sztuki Dziecka w Poznaniu
Św. Marcin 80/82 pok. 345
61-809 Poznań, Poland
or in an electronic form as a download link to the copy of the film:
for feature films: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
for short films: email@example.com
In either case no later than September 19th, 2022.
18. The copy, properly labelled, shall be on the medium and in the format indicated in the entry form, in the original language version without subtitles, accompanied by a separate file containing English subtitles (if English is not the original language of the film).
19. The Entrant shall cover the cost of shipping the copy to the Festival address unless it is agreed otherwise with the Organiser. The sender shall follow shipment instructions, which will be provided by the Festival Organiser. The instructions shall be provided together with the notification of selection results.
20. The cost of returning the copy shall be covered by the Festival unless it is agreed otherwise with the Entrant.
21. In the case of copies received in an electronic form, the Organiser will make every effort to prevent such a copy from being in the possession of third parties and shall remove it from all its servers immediately after the end of the festival.
22. The insurance shall cover the period from the delivery of the print to the Organiser’s address by the delivering carrier, to the collection of the print from the Organiser by the returning carrier.
JURIES AND PRIZES
23. The professional international jury shall award:
Golden Goats to the best full-length film for children and a cash prize of EUR 4000 gross* to the film director (as a natural person);
Golden Goats to the best short film for children and a cash prize of EUR 1500 gross* to the film director (as a natural person);
Golden Goats to the best full-length film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 4000 gross* to the film director (as a natural person);
Golden Goats to the best short film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 1500 gross* to the film director (as a natural person).
The prizes shall be paid out in cash or by bank transfer, in Polish zlotys, after tax deductions, as applicable*.
If the Winner’s bank does not accept transfers in Polish zlotys, a bank transfer may be made in Euros or American dollars. As soon as the Winners are announced, the Organiser shall send each Winner a form to be filled in with details necessary to make the payment. The completed form must be returned to the Organiser by email (full-length films: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, short films: firstname.lastname@example.org) within 7 days after receipt, but no later than by October 21st, 2022. The prizes shall be paid after the Organiser receives a duly completed form, which must be submitted together with the original certificate of tax residence in the case of non-resident Winners wishing to avoid double taxation, no later than October 31st, 2022. The certificate of tax residence must be delivered by October 20th, 2022 at the latest, otherwise the prize will be paid in accordance with Polish tax law.
Should the winning film have more than one director, the prize shall be divided equally between the Winners.
24. The young people’s jury shall award the Marcin prizes to the best full-length and the best short film for young people.
25. The children’s jury shall award the Marcinek prizes to the best full-length and the best short film for children.
26. The Film Educators’ Jury shall award the The Film Educators’ Prize to the best full-length film for children.
27. The Festival audience shall award its prize to the best full-length film.
28. The Festival Organiser shall award the special prize of Platinum Goats for excellent film or audiovisual media output aimed at young audiences.
29. Other special prizes funded by private individuals, institutions and organisations may also be awarded in agreement with the Organiser.
30. By entering a film in the Festival and participating in the Festival the Entrant agrees to comply with these Regulations.
31. The Festival Organiser is not liable for any damage or loss resulting from the infringement of the rights of third parties that may arise in connection with the use of the submitted Works, unless the infringement has been caused solely by the Organiser. The Entrant hereby indemnifies the Organiser from any liability in that respect.
32. In the event of doubt as to the interpretation of these Regulations, the Polish language version shall prevail.
33. Issues not covered by these Regulations are subject to decisions made by the Festival Director.
* Competition prizes will be paid in Polish zlotys (PLN). The amounts in Euros will be converted into zlotys using the average exchange rate stated by the National Bank of Poland as of the day preceding the announcement of the winning films. Competition prizes won by Polish residents are subject to taxation pursuant to Article 13(13) of the Polish Personal Income Tax Act concerning participation in competitions in the fields of science, culture, art and journalism. The income tax rate for the prize is 18% on the amount won after deducting 20% of tax-deductible costs. The tax will be deducted from the prize before payment. Competition prizes won by non-residents are subject to taxation pursuant to Article 29(1)(1) of the Polish Personal Income Tax Act. The income tax rate for the prize is 20% on the amount won. The tax will be deducted from the prize before payment. However, for the avoidance of double taxation, the Winner may be able to claim a tax relief or tax exemption in Poland if there is a double taxation agreement between Poland and this country, and if he/she delivers a valid certificate of residence from the tax authority in the country in which he/she is resident. The certificate is valid until the date of expiry, or, if the date is not specified, for 12 months after the date of issue. The original (not digital) certificate must be delivered to the Festival Organiser before the prize is paid. The certificate of tax residence must be delivered by October 20th, 2022 at the latest, otherwise the prize will be paid in accordance with Polish tax law.