Africa International Horror Film Festival is where screams and scares meet culture and creativity. Founded by visionary film director, Nneoha Ann Aligwe, our festival is the first of its kind in West Africa and is dedicated to revitalizing the African horror cinema industry.
Our mission is simple - to provide a platform for independent horror filmmakers in Africa and beyond to showcase their works to a global audience. We believe that horror cinema is an art form that transcends boundaries and allows us to explore the darker side of the human psyche.
Every year, we curate an electrifying line-up of the most thought-provoking horror films from across the African continent and beyond. Our festival is a haven for filmmakers and fans alike, as we showcase works that push the boundaries of the horror genre, challenge societal norms, and spark meaningful conversations.
At the Africa International Horror Film Festival, we pride ourselves on creating an immersive experience for all who attend. From our bone-chilling screenings to engaging panel discussions and workshops with industry professionals, we are dedicated to providing a platform that fosters creativity, diversity, and community.
So, whether you're a filmmaker looking to showcase your work, a horror enthusiast seeking the next scare, or a curious attendee eager to explore the world of African horror cinema, we welcome you to join us at the Africa International Horror Film Festival.
Awards are given in the following categories: Best Feature, Directing, Cinematography, Editing, Special Effects, Musical Score, etc. In addition, there are special categories for Best Animation, Best Short, Audience choice award, Best Experimental Film, and Best Student Film.
Since 2021, the Africa International Horror Film Festival has:
Received approximately 5,000 African and international submissions;
Had over 2,000 attendees including filmmakers and film enthusiasts
Screened 100 films from 30 countries
Had over 10,000 engagements on social media
• Best African Horror Short Film
• Best International Horror Short Film
• Best African Horror feature Film
• Best International Horror feature film
• Best African Horror Animation
• Best International Horror Animation
• Best Experimental Horror Film
• Best Cinematography
• Best Special Effects/Make-up
• Best Editing
• Best Student Film
• Best Original Screenplay
• Best Music Score
• Best Actor/Actress.
• Best Director.
• Audience Choice Award
• Jury's Choice Award
Thank you for your interest in submitting your film to the 2023 Africa International Horror Film Festival. Before you make your submission, note the following;
• We accept short and feature-length films
• Films must be horror or thriller and must be made by an independent filmmaker.
• Feature films and short films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
• Films must be free from any copyright infringement. The filmmaker submitting must have the necessary right and authority to submit the film to the festival.
• Online submission will be accepted through the film festival platform FilmFreeway. We do not mind if your film has already been published online or not, but the film must not be commercially available on DVD, Blu-Ray, on-demand service, or other format intended for private viewing and will not air on television.
• Films must have been completed after January 1st, 2017.
A synopsis of the film (not more than 450 words) must be submitted.
A poster or frame grab from the film must be submitted.
Filmmakers must supply the following detail:
Year of Production
Country of Production
1. I hereby represent and warrant that I am the owner or the authorized representative for the owner(s) of the film (the “Film”) being submitted according to this submission agreement (the “Agreement”) for public exhibition and inclusion in 2021 African International Horror Film Festival (the “Festival”) and that I have all the necessary rights and authority to submit the Film to the Festival and to enter into and obligate the owner(s) of the Film to enter into this Agreement.
2. I represent and warrant that:
• I have obtained all necessary releases, licenses, authorization, and permission from the owner(s) of all content and rights owned by third parties included in the Film, including without limitation all copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy and publicity, and contract rights, and nothing in the Film shall infringe upon or violate the rights of any third party. The African International Horror Film Festival disclaims any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for, any unauthorized inclusion of any third-party content or materials within or relating to the submitted Film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims.
• There is no legal action presently pending, threatened, or reasonably anticipated in connection with the Film.
3. I acknowledge and agree that in the event of any disagreement or dispute in connection with this Agreement or submission of the Film to the Festival, the parties will first attempt to resolve such disputes through good-faith negotiation.
4. If the Film is selected by the Festival, I further grant the AIHFF the right to utilize the Film; the names, likenesses, and biographical information of the producer(s), director(s), performer(s), and others associated with the Film; and images, stills, and excerpts from the Film for promotional and outreach purposes.
5. I agree to indemnify and hold the Festival harmless from and against all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses which may be incurred because of any type of claim whatsoever in connection with the Film or its submission, acceptance or exhibition at the Festival, including without limitation breach of any representation, warranty or obligation outlined in this Agreement.
6. I have read and accepted the terms and conditions described in this Agreement and I understand that acceptance of the Film to the Festival shall be at the sole discretion of the AIHFF team.
7. If the film is selected for the Festival, I grant permission for public exhibition of the Film during the Festival from 20th-22nd October 2023 and I agree to comply with all rules and reasonable requests of the AIHFF team in connection with the same.
8. I understand that the AIHFF team has the right to adjust the nature and/or the date of the festival due to unforeseen circumstances. From an in-person event to a part in-person/part virtual event, to an outdoor cinema event, or a completely virtual festival.
9. By entering through FilmFreeway, on behalf of myself and the owner(s) of the Film, I freely and voluntarily give and express complete acceptance of all of the terms and conditions outlined in this Agreement.