African International Horror Film Festival is a horror film festival based in Lagos, Nigeria. This annual event is established to give independent horror filmmakers in Africa and beyond a platform to showcase and promote their work.
We are committed to bringing the best independent short and feature-length horror films as well as animations to the best movie-watching audience in the world.
Filmmakers will also have the opportunity to interact and get feedback from the audience and industry professionals.
We are on the lookout for dark, thrilling, and horrific short and feature-length films. We want something that will frighten our audience or drive them to the edge of their seats.
Our selected judges will go through an intensive judges training program and will watch the films submitted to the last minute. The judges will also decide on different awards that will be presented to outstanding filmmakers at the award ceremony.
• A chance for the films to be screened at a prestigious Horror Film Festival in Africa
• Excellent presentation with the best projection and sound equipment available
• Extensive promotion of your film. Films that made it to the official selection will be promoted on all social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
• A chance to win awards
• A chance to meet and interact with industry professionals
• Best African Horror Short Film
• Best International Horror Short Film
• Best African Horror feature Film
• Best International Horror feature film
• Best African Horror Animation
• Best International Horror Animation
• Best Storyline
• Best Cinematography
• Best Director
• Best Editor
• Best Actor
• Best Special Effect Makeup
Thank you for your interest in submitting your film to the 2021 African International Horror Film Festival. Before you make your submission, note the following;
• We accept short and feature-length films
• Films must be horror or thriller and must be made by an independent filmmaker.
• Feature films and short films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
• Films must be free from any copyright infringement. The filmmaker submitting must have the necessary right and authority to submit the film to the festival.
• Online submission will be accepted through the film festival platform FilmFreeway. We do not mind if your film has already been published online or not, but the film must not be commercially available on DVD, Blu-Ray, on-demand service, or other format intended for private viewing and will not air on television.
• Films must have been completed after January 1st, 2017.
A synopsis of the film (not more than 450 words) must be submitted.
A poster or frame grab from the film must be submitted.
Filmmakers must supply the following detail:
Year of Production
Country of Production
1. I hereby represent and warrant that I am the owner or the authorized representative for the owner(s) of the film (the “Film”) being submitted according to this submission agreement (the “Agreement”) for public exhibition and inclusion in 2021 African International Horror Film Festival (the “Festival”) and that I have all the necessary rights and authority to submit the Film to the Festival and to enter into and obligate the owner(s) of the Film to enter into this Agreement.
2. I represent and warrant that:
• I have obtained all necessary releases, licenses, authorization, and permission from the owner(s) of all content and rights owned by third parties included in the Film, including without limitation all copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy and publicity, and contract rights, and nothing in the Film shall infringe upon or violate the rights of any third party. The African International Horror Film Festival disclaims any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for, any unauthorized inclusion of any third-party content or materials within or relating to the submitted Film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims.
• There is no legal action presently pending, threatened, or reasonably anticipated in connection with the Film.
3. I acknowledge and agree that in the event of any disagreement or dispute in connection with this Agreement or submission of the Film to the Festival, the parties will first attempt to resolve such disputes through good-faith negotiation.
4. If the Film is selected by the Festival, I further grant the AIHFF the right to utilize the Film; the names, likenesses, and biographical information of the producer(s), director(s), performer(s), and others associated with the Film; and images, stills, and excerpts from the Film for promotional and outreach purposes.
5. I agree to indemnify and hold the Festival harmless from and against all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses which may be incurred because of any type of claim whatsoever in connection with the Film or its submission, acceptance or exhibition at the Festival, including without limitation breach of any representation, warranty or obligation outlined in this Agreement.
6. I have read and accepted the terms and conditions described in this Agreement and I understand that acceptance of the Film to the Festival shall be at the sole discretion of the AIHFF team.
7. If the film is selected for the Festival, I grant permission for public exhibition of the Film during the Festival from 18th-23rd October 2021 and I agree to comply with all rules and reasonable requests of the AIHFF team in connection with the same.
8. I understand that the AIHFF team has the right to adjust the nature and/or the date of the festival due to unforeseen circumstances. From an in-person event to a part in-person/part virtual event, to an outdoor cinema event, or a completely virtual festival.
9. By entering through FilmFreeway, on behalf of myself and the owner(s) of the Film, I freely and voluntarily give and express complete acceptance of all of the terms and conditions outlined in this Agreement.