*** Opening Call for the 5th edition of our prestigious film festival is on. Submit Your Film Now***
Accra Indie Filmfest (AiF) warmly welcomes you to an electrifying week filled with the highest quality of short films that are all independently created and carefully selected from all across the world and held at the central capital of the Republic of Ghana, Accra.
Accra is the capital of the Republic of Ghana and the central hub for urban culture. Accra is and remains the biggest city for the growing Ghana film industry as well as the habitat for most locally and internationally produced films from Ghana. It is one of the greatest wombs for arts and entertainment in West Africa. It has successfully positioned itself as a conducive zone for multiculturalism and artistic exhibitions.
We boldly carry the indie tag not because we are not aware that almost all African filmmakers operate from an independent front but because we understand the struggles of the independent film making and it is within that struggle that our strength is rebuilt and even made stronger. AiF is created as a revolutionary platform for the independently young and not so young filmmakers across the world to explore the diversities of telling their own stories. We embrace and celebrate the struggles that come with being an independent filmmaker.
Major Film industries are built on a solid foundation which demands consistent practice for growth and development. One amazing avenue for learning and creative development in film making is by the production of short films. Short film productions give the emerging filmmakers enough creative space to explore their artistry.
Accra Indie Filmfest (AiF) is an annual international short film festival created to provide the needed platform in order to amplify the required attention for emerging filmmakers to be trained through organized workshops and to showcase their creative films to the rest of the world.
AiF have the special spot for emerging filmmakers because the responsibility of changing the African stories on the face of the world lies in the hands of the young filmmakers. Hence we are here to identify, harness, support and to celebrate all these young filmmakers who are specially gifted in different ways of storytelling to explore and bring about diversities in storytelling.
There are workshops and masterclasses moderated by local and international industry experts to equip young filmmakers with the business of film making as well as the ever growing industry standards and revolutions. Education is always key to stay updated and AiF takes priority of that.
There is an exclusive round-table discussion called “Filmmakers Connect” which focuses on the future and growth of the African cinema. This is open to both local and international filmmakers. This is intended to foster possible co-production avenues and creative projects from a common front since knowledge regarding other cultures are shared.
AiF FilmArt, an incubation program that seeks to empower young filmmakers with the needed skills set to kick off their film making career. This program always ends with a film making challenge to help increase their confidence and also cement their readiness for the film business. The 2022 edition presented a unique opportunity for emerging screenwriters in the UK to collaborate with emerging filmmaking teams in Ghana to produce two outstanding short films.
Film screenings come with Questions and Answers. This is because, we care about the films being screened at the festival as well as the makers of the films. Networking is one of our greatest assurances. This is because, the gateway to future co-productions and extra knowledge exchange will be achieved through this “meet and greet”.
AiF Music Synergy Concert as part of the festival that brings emerging music performing artistes together on the same platform to entertain the audience through live music. This is done to establish the relationship between music and film as these two medium of art is inseparable.
With these goals and vision as the core foundation of the festival, Accra Indie Filmfest AiF carefully select its events strategically to build and rejuvenate the passion and drive for independent and young filmmakers in the production of short films. We deem it mandatory to provide an avenue for the young and vibrant filmmakers to find the need to explore and create beyond limits.
Accra Indie Filmfest (AiF) is here to serve and celebrate YOU!
1. It is still our dream that top three (3) films will be awarded with an undisclosed cash prizes as we continue to push for this to be realized.
2. All selected films are promoted through our social media and website with a dedicated page with synopsis, film stills and trailer. For this purpose, we recommend that projects must be fully entered on FilmFreeway, including film stills, production pictures, downloadable poster(s), and trailer(s).
3. The official selection will carefully be picked by our panel of expert judges.
4. All selected films will be screened at the festival.
5. All selected films will receive a digital award certification of selection. This can be framed later by the filmmakers.
6. Official festival selection laurel will be available to all selected films.
7. Our expert panel of judges score quality and creativity of entries on a performance scale for official selections as well as the winning films.
8. Apart from the desire for the top three (3) prized awards, beautifully designed plaques will be given to the all films that wins any of the categories at the festival. The award categories include the following:
-Best Short Narrative
-Best Short Documentary
-Best Short Animation
-Best Student Film
-Best Music Film
-Best Digital Story
-Best Production Design
-Best Achievement in Juvenile Performance
9. There are two special jury award mentions as part of the festival for certain outstanding cinematic achievements and performances.
1. All films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
2. Films must not exceed duration of 40minutes.
3. To submit to AiF2023, any film made before 1st January 2021 has an automatic disqualification.
4. Filmmakers are responsible for sorting out the copyright on their own materials.
5. By submitting to us, you give us the right to screen your film in front of a live audience.
6. We may promote your film on our social media handles, and website based on the press kits you provide us with.
7. We retain the right to change the date and venue of the festival under special circumstances beyond regular control. All filmmakers will be informed about any changes through our online platforms and sometimes direct email.
8. We place no restrictions on your work in terms of premiere status or whether your work has been made available online.
9. We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions.
10. Any technical issues with the submitted films are 100% the responsibility of the filmmakers. If, at the time of judging, your video file doesn’t work or doesn’t have English subtitles (if in a language other than English), it will be automatically rejected. Please contact the festival team as soon as possible if there are any issues with the submission process, and a solution will be found.
11. By submitting to us you agree to our terms and conditions and to receiving marketing newsletters in the form of emails. We will never share your information with third parties.
12. NOTE: We do not promise screening fees.