In the town of Zlatna, county of Alba, Romania, will be held on 22 – 24 September 2017 the fifth edition of Festivalul International de Film Etnografic (FIFE) – Zlatna International Ethnographic Film Festival (ZIEFF).
The International Ethnographic Film Festival Zlatna aims to promote culture and national traditions. ZIEFF - the only ethnographic film festival in Romania, has the role of discovering new talents and promotes the exchange of cultural values with other countries. The festival is open to all filmmakers who want to contribute to building national or international cultural heritage. The contestants who participated in the previous editions of the Zlatna Ethnographic Film Festival were professionals or amateurs from countries such as Spain, Poland, Japan, Croatia, South Africa, Turkey, the Czech Republic, Germany, Croatia, Mexico, Italy and Romania. The films presented surprised the audience with images and stories from all over the world.
Filmmakers and producers are invited to participate in this fifth edition ZIEFF by submitting his ethnographic documentary films.
Considered the gateway to the Apuseni Mountains, the town of Zlatna has a bimilenar history. During the Roman period there was a thriving settlement - Ampelum - raised to the rank of city, which was an important gold mining center. Today, Zlatna is trying to find its way by capitalizing on the cultural and tourist heritage of the area.
The festival trophy (the best ethnographic film)
Best student film
The winner of the festival's trophy will receive a $ 500 prize.
ZIEFF admits only documentary films on ethnographic themes, without any restrictions, regardless of whether they have participated in other festivals or not.
Movies must have cinematic qualities, artistic implications, and a strong presence of the creator's point of view, both in form and content. In particular, creative documentaries and author's films focus on how to approach the origin, lifestyle, culture, and habits of communities and peoples.
Movies that are not in Romanian must have subtitles in English, including the title and cast.
Films participating in previous ZIEFF editions, whether prize-winning or not, will no longer be accepted in the competition.
The main criterion for judging will be the film's belonging to the ethnographic genre. Will be taken into account the relationship between the theme, the visual conception and the achievement. The decisions of the jury are final and can not be challenged.
Contact and communication
Information and announcements about the festival, the calendar of events, etc. are published on the festival's website www.etnofilmzlatna.ro and on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/etnofilmzlatna.ro/
The films selected in the final are:
Samson umbrella parasol
A Headstone for a Home
National features of Russian tourism
The Last Ice Hunters
Stories from Armenopolis
The Legend of Jagnjedovec
Lives among Waters
The cultural journey to Timbuktu
Touch of an Angel
Povestea cămăşii de cânepă
Ticket from the Past
GAMMA, Master’s Universe
The story of minorities in Romania
Extraordinary People with Susy Award (EU Susteinibility)
#update 24 sept.
Palmares Zlatna International Ethnographic Film Festival 2017
1. The festival's trophy - "Touch of an Angel", Poland, directed by Marek Tomasz Pawlowski
2. Best Director Award - "PANJ", Iran, directed by Seyed Mojtaba Hosseini
3. Best soundtrack - "GAMMA, Master's Universe", Russia, directed by Angela Guseva
4. Best Cinematography Award - "The Last Ice Hunters," directed by Jure Breceljnik
5. Best editing - "National features of Russian Tourism", Russia, directed by Zhanna Tolstikova, Andrei Porshnyak
6. Best Student Film Award - "The Story of the Hemp Shirt", Romania, directed by Alexandru Pop
7. "Director Horea Popescu" Award - "Stories from Armenopolis", Romania, directed by Diana Deleanu
8. "Preservation of immaterial heritage" Award - "Extraordinary People", Turkey, directed by Orhan Teekoglu
9. Ethics and Ecology Award - "Gentle Roots", Romania, directed by Florin Andreescu