Established as a non-profit organization in 1993, Women Make Waves Int'l Film Festival, (Taipei, Taiwan) has been one of the major film festivals in Taiwan and has established itself as the biggest one dedicated to supporting female talents. It is also the longest running and largest issue-oriented film festival in Taiwan. Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan aims to celebrate the achievements of outstanding female talents, to explore different aspects of women's lives as well as to promote equality and rights of all genders. By covering a wide range of genres, issues, and representations of women, WMWIFF seeks to promote great cinematic arts by female directors and to advocate gender equality through films with feminist consciousness and various subjects.
◇General Entry Requirement
• Submission starting from:
December 16, 2020
• Deadline for Entry:
February 25, 2021 for all international film submissions completed after March 1st, 2019
• Entry fees USD 10 are required.
• We consider creative films of any length, and OPEN to all kinds of subjects.
Anything related to LGBTQI communities, women issues and ideologies such as feminism and post-feminism, and current events around the world that reflects the status quo of women. We also encourage SEXY, cutting-edge, thought-provoking, and daring films that are innovative in cinematic styles and forms, that explore the aesthetic possibilities of the cinematic forms, and that continue challenging our knowledge and thoughts on various aspects from and about the perspective of women.
• Submission is OPEN to feature films, short films, documentaries, animations, experimental films and etc.
• Films addressed to the following issues are preferred and highly welcomed.
1. Queer films
2. New currents
3. Women Issues
• The films submitted need to be directed at least by One FEMALE Director.
• The films submitted must be Taiwan Premiere.
• The films submitted must have been completed after March 1st, 2019.
• Entrants must submit completed work. Works-in-progress are not accepted.
• For submission, the submitted films should be presented with English dialogue or in their original versions with English subtitles. We advise you to also subtitle films if they are spoken in English which is hard to grasp for non-native speakers, i.e. an accent or slang.
• Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are not eligible.
• This is the entry call for international film submission, Taiwan film submission will be announced at a separate time.
• Submitting via FilmFreeway: Please make sure to have online screener available and include as many information as possible. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
• Another option to submit your work: if not submitting via FilmFreeway, one can also choose to submit via our Official Website: http://www.wmw.org.tw/en/category/29
• The materials below, if not provided on FilmFreeway, are highly recommended to send additionally to [email@example.com] when submitting your film or should be provided as soon as your film is selected.
-Completed dialogue lists in original language AND English
-Synopsis of the film in English, in both short (50 words) and long (150 words) versions
-Full casts and credits list
-Director’s biography (under 100 words) AND filmography
-Director’s statement, if available
-3 different stills from the film (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
-A photo of the director (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
-Film reviews, if available
-Trailer or clips if available
-Press kits if available
The festival's program committees select the films that will participate in all program sections. When a film is selected, the festival will notify the applicant by email no later than June 30, 2021.
• After selection, please email the following materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once the films are selected, the festival has the right to:
• Use a maximum of 5% of the video from the film for the festival trailer, publicity, and online purposes.
• Use the trailer for publicity and online purposes.
• Use publicity material to promote the festival and our program line-up.
• Reserve the right to keep all the screeners and / or high res video files of the selected films in the festival archive for non-circulating use.
• Produce and keep Chinese subtitled screening copies in the festival archive for non-circulating use, excluding any loan or public usage. Any kind of public presentation is strictly prohibited.
•It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted film. WMWIFF will not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted materials within or relating to the submitted film.
• If the films are selected, all of the requested materials as above mentioned should be provided as soon as possible in order to assist the compilation of the Festival Catalogue. Please also note that all the submitted materials will not be returned.
• WMWIFF won't cover any shipping costs during the submission stage. For films selected for our festival, we will cover the print's shipping costs (custom tax included) to and from the original print source only. Please note that WMWIFF will NOT be responsible for any shipping costs (custom tax included) for the next destination.
• The selected films will be screened 2~4 times during the 28th Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan in October. Please be noted that WMWIFF will NOT provide screening fees for submitted films, while will be eligible for the possibility of an invitation to the festival attendance, regional distribution, and so on.
• One of the missions of WMWIFF is to propagate women/gender issues around Taiwan. Some of the films will be chosen for screening to the disadvantaged outside the capital between October to December 2021. All the charity screening is free of charge, and furthermore, the screening time and audience are limited.