Wildlife Film Festival Rotterdam (WFFR) is the first and largest wildlife festival in The Netherlands. It focuses on the screening of wildlife, environment, sustainability and conservation documentaries. The next edition will takes place from 30 October - 3 November 2019.
The 2019 festival, which will be our 5th anniversary, will take place over five days in beautiful Rotterdam, The Netherlands on October 30 and 31, and November 1, 2 and 3 and will feature some of the best wildlife films from all over the world. We will be screening all of our Official Selections in the heart of Rotterdam at Cinerama Movie Theater. The festival programme offers 80+ public screenings and events. All screenings and events take place at one venue.
WFFR welcomes independent filmmakers, new or established broadcasters, film and television production companies/distributors from anywhere in the world to participate in our strong competition.
During the festival there is plenty of time for filmmakers to meet each other and the audience. In 2018 WFFR welcomed more than 7,500 visitors. Filmmakers can win prizes in 11 different categories. Winners will be announced during the infamous Flamingo Award Ceremony.
In 2019 WFFR will recognise outstanding achievements in 11 Flamingo Award categories. Your entry will automatically compete for either Best Film/Best Short Film and the Audience Award.
- Green Impact
- Animal Behaviour
- People & Nature
- Virtual Reality
The deadline for entries is 1 May 2019.
All eligible submissions will be reviewed by our selection committee that decides which movies will be selected for screening and nominated for our Flamingo Awards. A jury will decide which films will be awarded in the different categories during the award ceremony.
On 15th August 2019 the selected finalists will be informed if their film has been selected to be screened at the festival and if their film is nominated for one of our Flamingo Awards.
WFFR promotes all selected films in the weeks upcoming to the festival. Filmmakers of selected films (or their representatives) are asked to give a Q&A after the screening(s) of their film.
Filmmakers of selected films receive:
- The ability to market your film with the WFFR official selection and, if nominated for an award, an award logo.
- Two festival passes with free access to all screenings
- Free admission (for two people) to all festival related events, including Opening Night Reception, workshops, drinks and the Flamingo Award Ceremony.
- Opportunity to engage in a Q&A session with the audience each time your film is screened
Nominated filmmakers will receive complimentary hotel lodging during the festivaldays and a compensation of their travel expenses. The winning filmmakers will receive the higly wanted Flamingo Award during the Award Ceremony on Saturday the 2nd of November 2019.
• Registration for Wildlife Film Festival Rotterdam is free.
• The film must have an aspect of the natural world as the central focus or critical and informative offerings on the environment or conservation and be completed on or after January 1st, 2016.
• Films can be entered in multiple categories. Films in languages other than English or Dutch are welcome but must be subtitled or dubbed into English. We prefer a film also has Dutch subtitles. WFFR is allowed to subtitle the film in Dutch.
• If you want to submit your film other than through FilmFreeway please contact email@example.com for the possibilities.
• The production must be submitted to WFFR by the producer or distributor of the film or their authorised representative. By submitting the film you guarantee that all production/distribution partners agreed to the submission and that you have obtained all clearances for exhibition. You certify that the work is original and that there exists no disputes regarding ownership with the film.
• WFFR has the right to edit the submitted information for publication and promotional materials.
• By submitting the film, entrants grant consent to screen the film by WFFR without any right to royalties or screening fees.
• WFFR is allowed to use the film, stills, trailer and information provided for (promotional) WFFR related activities prior to or after the festival.
• No film may be withdrawn from the festival programme after it has been selected for screening. WFFR has the right to alter the length and date of the festival, cancel Award categories and cancel or reschedule the festival without any liability towards the entrants.
• You agree to indemnify and hold harmless WFFR, its judges, sponsors and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities, and expenses, including legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims, arising out of the submission to and exhibition of your film and corresponding material at WFFR. The competition and these terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Netherlands and the court of Rotterdam, Netherlands shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any disputes arising therefrom.