At Visability Film Festival, we celebrate daring styles and unique voices, rewarding new and exciting filmmakers, who aren’t afraid to take creative risks.
At VFF we're determined to put filmmakers' hard earned money to good use! That's why 10% of all festival profits are donated to disability organisations, whilst 40% of profits make up the new VFF Short Film Fund!
To be considered for the fund, all filmmakers have to do is submit a film for consideration as part of our 2022 programme through FilmFreeway. From here, a longlist of filmmakers who particularly excite our judges will be drawn up and contacted directly, asking them to consider completing our application form to apply for funding on their next project. Simple.
We as a team are dedicated to utilizing film as a tool for societal change, and last year we donated £800 to the UK based, disabled-led visual arts organisation, DASH arts. Just like last year, our 2022 programme will continue to give a platform to myriad diverse voices.
At Visability Film Festival we are conscious of gender inequality within film. We believe film festivals have a responsibility to address this disparity. Therefore, inspired by the 5050X2020 film festival movement, we promise to maintain a gender-balanced final selection. At the festival, we will continue to have at least as many films made by directors identifying as female as male, just as we did in our first year.
This year we'll also be opening up our scriptwriting competition so that it is no longer exclusively for scripts attached to films that have also been submitted to our festival. Now any script, from anywhere in the world, can submit, provided they are no longer than 6 pages in length. Last year's Script Reading judges featured publishers and literary agents, and comprised writers who had been commissioned for the likes of BBC Radio 4 & ITV 2, as well as award winning poets and playwrights.
Visability Film Festival are honoured to discover, and then spring board, new and exciting filmmaking and scriptwriting talent. Unearthing original stories from distinctive filmmakers is what we do best.
We actively encourage film submissions of any form, genre or length, from filmmakers of any background, but are especially interested in films from lesser-heard voices, and those that take stylistic risks.
We are proud to feature domestic film projects alongside international offerings, celebrating independent filmmaking talent from across the globe as well as from the heart of the UK.
Our dedicated and diverse viewing panel features film academics, award winning animation directors, cinematographers, actors, set designers and film critics, all of whom are passionate about creating a film programme of unparalleled quality, that remains true to the festival’s core beliefs and values. Members of our team have worked behind the scenes for some of the UK’s biggest and best-established festivals, giving us real nous when it comes to the festival circuit.
Our inaugural edition took place entirely online in February 2021, and this year we're excited to host our first live event, taking place in London in February 2022.
Visability FF Official Selection
Achievement in Accessibility Award
Best British Film
Best Animated Film
Best Music / Sound
Best Experimental Film
Best Feature Length Film
• Submitted films must have been completed after January 1st 2018
•. We accept submissions of any genre and length.
• Short films must be under 40minutes duration, anything over this must be entered as a feature length submission.
• Entered films will automatically be considered for each of our awards, apart from the 'Best Script' award. In order to qualify for this award, a script must be paid for and entered through a separate entry category. Received scripts must be no more than 6 pages.
• Non-English language films must have HARD-CODED English subtitle tracks attached.
• Entry fees are paid in full at time of submission. Submission payments are non-refundable.
• All submissions must be fully complete at time of submission. Incomplete projects will not be considered.
• By submitting work to Visability Film Festival, filmmakers are consenting to use of footage, stills, trailers, and any other attached material, on our website and social media channels for advertising and promotional purposes. Use of these materials however, does not guarantee a film's selection by Visability Film Festival.
• Films may not be withdrawn from the Visability Film Festival programme, after their selection has been confirmed, under any circumstances.
• Entrants may submit more than one film, but each film must be submitted separately.
• Submitters should be the project’s Director or Producer, or have the express permission of the Director or Producer.
• We currently operate exclusively through FilmFreeway. Films submitted through e-mail, or by any other means, will not be accepted.
• Visability Film Festival reserve the right to refuse competition entries at any time.
• Visability Film Festival assumes no responsibility for violation of copyright law.
• By submitting to us, filmmakers acknowledge that they have read and understood the festival rules and guidelines, and are in compliance with these stated rules.
• If any of the above is unclear, do please contact Visability Film Festival by e-mail directly, and we will be more than happy to offer clarity and advice.