We are delighted to announce the 26th UNAFF (United Nations Association Film Festival), which was founded in 1998 by Stanford educator and film critic Jasmina Bojic in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The 26th UNAFF will be held from October 19-29, 2023 in Palo Alto, Stanford University, East Palo Alto and San Francisco. This year’s theme, SOLUTIONS, continues our devotion to human rights with an emphasis on strategies and approaches that offer solutions to our burning problems
Over the years UNAFF has screened some of the most awarded and talked about documentaries in the industry, including eight that went on to win Academy Awards
and thirty four that were nominated.
AWARDS include a CASH prize
• UNAFF Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary $2000
• UNAFF Grand Jury Award for Best Short Documentary $1000
• UNAFF Award for Best Cinematography $500
• UNAFF Award for Best Editing $500
• UNAFF Youth Vision Award $500
UNAFF provides filmmakers with pass credentials, guest festival passes, and some assistance with lodging and airfare. In addition to screenings UNAFF provides filmmakers the opportunity to present their work through panel discussions and Q&As and to meet distributors and leaders of community organizations.
26th UNAFF CALL FOR ENTRIES
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN for the 26th UNAFF, which will run from October 19-29, 2023 in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, San Francisco and Stanford University.
In its enduring advocacy for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights UNAFF celebrates the power of international documentary films dealing with the environment, refugees, famine, homelessness, racism, disease control, women's issues, children, universal education, war and peace and other topics mentioned in the UDHR.
This year’s theme, SOLUTIONS, continues our devotion to human rights with an emphasis on strategies and approaches that offer solutions to our burning problems.
• Documentaries only and absolutely no films that are available online for free before the end of the festival (10/30/2023)
• No production year limit
• No runtime limit – UNAFF accepts both shorts and longs
• Rough-cuts or works-in-progress accepted, but please submit as close to the final cut as possible. UNAFF cannot accept updated versions of a film less than 10 days before the start of the festival
• Submission formats:
o Download-enabled online link with a password valid until July 31, 2023. Please email online link and password with attached signed submission form to firstname.lastname@example.org
o Blu-ray region 0 or 1 (see mailing address below)
o USB flash drive
• The language of the festival jury and audience is English, so if your film is in a different language, please translate the title and submit an English subtitled version, or send us an English SRT file.
• Submit online via FILMFREEWAY
• Email us a downloadable link directly to email@example.com, or send in your disc/flash drive to our mailing address below. Visit www.unaff.org for the downloadable Entry Form, which must be filled out, signed and sent with all direct submissions, either printed and included in your package, or as an attachment with your downloadable link.
The entrant is responsible for the cost of shipping the entries to our office. Due to the volume of entries we CANNOT return preview copies. Unless otherwise requested, all submissions will become part of the UNAFF archive available for research and educational purposes only. Works submitted will be returned only if accompanied by insured self-addressed return packaging.
• Early Deadline – May 3, 2023*
• Regular Deadline – May 13, 2023*
• Late deadline – May 23, 2023*
Filmmakers will be notified about the status of their submission by August 3.
Entries will be handled with the utmost care, but UNAFF cannot assume responsibility for damage or loss of any film submitted to the festival.
As the producer's authorized representative, I accept the conditions described on this entry form. If this film is selected, I grant UNAFF the rights to publicly display it during UNAFF 2023 and in the UNAFF Traveling Film Festival and its programs internationally and in the US, as well as the permission to use any footage from the film and its publicity materials for UNAFF promotional purposes. UNAFF will not accept new versions of a selected film less than 10 days before the festival unless requested by the programming staff.