The name of the region “The Quarantine” comes from the past when the sailors from commercial ships entering the harbor with suspicion of some kind of disease were taken ashore at the beach for the quarantine period of 40 days. In case they showed no signs of illness, they were allowed access to town. At present, the young artists who still have not found their realization are in the status of a “The Quarantine” – isolated by the film makers’ circles. In analogy to the history of the location, we decided to organize an international film festival for short films called “The Quarantine” for young authors (age 16 – 35 years) in the open air – straight on the beach.
The other main goal of the festival is to protect the uniqueness and urban format of the fishing village “The Quarantine” which is the last standing fishing village in the region. It is in danger of disappearing because a luxury residential complex is being built on the coastline behind it. We intend to turn the place into a culture and art zone and to preserve the fishermen’s way of life.
Goals and Tasks:
- Cultural exchange among young people who are having their debut in cinema, representatives of different cultures. Through their participation in the “The Quarantine Film Festival” their films will gain popularity and this will accelerate the entering of these authors in the cinematographic environment.
- Professional development of the young people through their participation in trainings, creative workshops and working meetings within the framework of the festival.
- Informal meeting with the artistic and academic circles.
- Aesthetic pleasure from the contemporary cinematography.
- Establishing international contacts and interaction with partner organizations.
- Protection of the uniqueness and urban format of the fishers’ village “The Quarantine”.
- Development of an alternative cultural center “The Quarantine”.
- Decentralization of cultural life in the city of Varna.
- Sustainable development throughout the years.
The Quarantine Film Festival
It's an international short film festival.
Eligible for entry are young authors up 35 years.
Films with duration of up to 30 minutes.
No entry fees.
We accept films in one of the following categories: Fiction films, Documentaries, Animations, Experimental films and video art.
Deadline - February 10, 2018.