THE FUTURE OF FILM IS FEMALE: SHORT FILM FUND awards individual financial grants and post-production service in-kind grants twice annually to short films directed by women and non-binary filmmakers.
As part of our committed approach to having a long-standing relationship with our filmmakers, The FOFIF continues to promote these films throughout production, theatrical or streaming release. The FOFIF has been able to support over 45 filmmakers since beginning our short film funding initiative in February 2018.
THE FUTURE OF FILM IS FEMALE is a non-profit organization whose mission is to amplify the work of all women and non-binary filmmakers through our grant program for short films, our unique programming commitment to theatrical representation of films by women, our community building with women in the industry to facilitate necessary culture change, and through ensuring equal representation of BIWOC within all of our programs. We are committed to creating industry-wide partnerships to work in solidarity towards an equitable future of film.
For the FALL 2022 grant cycle we are awarding:
INDIVIDUAL FINANCIAL GRANTS of $500 – $1000 for filmmaker project(s) in pre-production or post-production. 1-2 grants awarded.
POST-PRODUCTION in-kind service grants courtesy of Heard City (sound mixing and editing, $16k value) and Nice Shoes (color correction, 20k value). 1 grant for each awarded.
EQUIPMENT RENTAL courtesy of our new partner Camera Ambassador for for CHICAGO BASED FILMMAKERS that includes equipment rental ($2k), Production mentorship with Erica Duffy - 3 meetings total to support gear selection, logistics of shooting in Chicagoland, crew recommendations, and tax credit support (if applicable), and 1 blog article either to help with fundraising or after the project is complete to help with distribution/marketing. 1 grant awarded.
*All FOFIF Short Film Fund Recipients receive continuous promotion, support, and assistance throughout production and theatrical or streaming release.
We look at short films with women and non-binary filmmakers that are in PRE-PRODUCTION or POST-PRODUCTION. Our guidelines are as follows:
* Preferred length is no more than 20 minutes. Don't stress if it's 2 mins over that.
* All genres welcome: narrative, documentary, horror, science-fiction, etc.
* International films are eligible.
* Please include as much information as you can - website, socials, images, biography - so we can learn as much about you and your film as possible.
NOTE: We do not provide funding for episodic works, explicit proof-of-concepts, or for festival submissions at this time.
* Ensure that your script or deck (preferred) is included.
* Include links to your previous work sample in the custom section or uploaded in submission (ala a festival).
IMPORTANT: when applying for Pre-Production (i.e. research of a new project or submitting a script), you MUST include links to previous work. Pre-production submissions without this will be ineligible.
1) Submission must include a draft version of your film.
2) Films still in script mode are not eligible. Apply for pre-production.