**Update: The festival was originally schedule for February 2022, but has been pushed back to August 2022, due to the current COVID wave. We are committed to an in-person event and want to ensure the safety of all guests and participants.
The first Dirty Popcorn Black Film Festival presented by Jet Phynx, hosted and sponsored by The Delaware Art Museum will happen in August of 2022. The mission of the festival is to provide a platform and venue to discover and celebrate filmmakers of color from Delaware and the surrounding region while also providing a means of preserving local black filmmakers.
The festival is accepting submissions in three categories:
Experimental (music videos, animation, etc.)
The event will occur in August, 2022, exact date is TBD. The films will be showcased at The Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington, DE.
If you are a BIPOC filmmaker from DE, MD, NJ, PA or NY, then we want your film. There is no fee to submit.
Overall Best Film
- Best Short Drama/Narrative
- Best Short Documentary
- Best Short Experimental (music video, animation, etc.)
- People’s Choice (will be determined from screenings)
- Best Directing
- Best Sound Design
- Best Lighting
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Art/Production Design
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Writing
- The primary film maker, that is the writer, producer or director, must be a Black of Indigenous Person of Color (BIPOC) from DE, MD, NJ, PA, or NY.
- The film must be under 30 minutes.
- The film must be an original work of the filmmakers. All footage/audio must either be original or licensed through the proper channels.
- The film must have been completed in the last 5 years.
- At least one film maker will be required to attend the day their film is viewed and must be present to accept any awards on the final day of the festival.