The 2nd Annual Dirty Popcorn Black Film Festival is presented by Jet Phynx and hosted and sponsored by the Delaware Art Museum. The flim festival will happen in August 12 of 2023. The mission of the festival is to provide a platform and venue to discover and celebrate filmmakers of color from Delaware and the surrounding region while also providing a means of preserving local black filmmakers.
The festival is accepting submissions in three categories:
Experimental (music videos, animation, etc.)
The event will occur in August, 2023, exact date is TBD. The films will be showcased at The Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington, DE.
If you are a BIPOC filmmaker from DE, MD, NJ, PA or NY, then we want your film. There is no fee to submit.
Overall Best Film
- Best Short Drama/Narrative
- Best Short Documentary
- Best Short Experimental (music video, animation, etc.)
- People’s Choice (will be determined from screenings)
- Best Directing
- Best Sound Design
- Best Lighting
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Art/Production Design
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Writing
- The primary film maker, that is the writer, producer or director, must be a Black of Indigenous Person of Color (BIPOC) from DE, MD, NJ, PA, or NY.
- The film must be under 30 minutes.
- The film must be an original work of the filmmakers. All footage/audio must either be original or licensed through the proper channels.
- The film must have been completed in the last 5 years.
- At least one film maker will be required to attend the day their film is viewed and must be present to accept any awards on the final day of the festival.