The Tallahassee Film Festival prides itself on exceptional and unexpected programming. We believe film is an art form that has the ability to make changes not only in someone’s life, but in the world, and therefore we respect and nurture our selected filmmakers as artists with something important to say. We’ve created this Festival as a safe space for artists and filmmakers to share their work with an audience of both their peers and those who appreciate film.
The Tallahassee Film Festival held its inaugural event in May 2008. Since then, the Festival has brought groundbreaking films and filmmakers to Florida's Capital City. We’ve showcased films by Oscar winning directors — before they were Oscar winners. We’ve premiered films from all over the world and from many of the most prestigious film festivals. Over the years, the Festival has become an international hub for filmmakers to network, party and share their work with like-minded and cinema-appreciative audiences.
Audience Favorite Award(s):
- Best Feature Film
- Best Short Film
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
Director's Choice Award - $500
Florida Filmmaker Award (aka "The Flamingo Prize") - $1,000
Award categories are subject to change. The Audience Favorite awards have no cash value. The TFF Director's Choice Award comes with a $500 cash prize. The Florida Filmmaker Award comes with a $1,000 cash prize. Films eligible for the Florida Filmmaker Award are directed by a current Florida resident and/or consist of a majority above-the-line crew who are current Florida residents. Please provide this information in your cover letter. Actual awards and/or cash prizes may be distributed within 60 days after the last day of the Festival.
Please read the Rules & Terms section for complete details and information about competition and award eligibility.
The following terms and rules govern all film submissions to the 2022 Tallahassee Film Festival (“TFF” or the “Festival”).
1. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2021. TFF reserves the right to select submitted films completed outside the above mentioned time frame, but those films will not be eligible to compete for an award. Selected films must be available for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival dates, September 3-4, 2022.
2. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
3. If you change your submission's screening password or link after submitting, you must email the Festival immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change, and the link is inactive or the password incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
4. Films submitted to TFF in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of TFF’s current rules.
5. Films that have been shown in Tallahassee in a theatrical setting to a public audience prior to September 3, 2022 are not eligible for the Tallahassee Film Festival. This includes locally-held special screenings or other festivals. The ONLY exception is that a film has been shown in a classroom screening for an accredited university’s film program. We prefer that our selected films be Tallahassee premieres.
6. Films that are publicly available to watch online prior to the Festival are ineligible and will not be considered for exhibition during the Festival. We prefer films are not publicly available online.
7. TFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
8. Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be selected to be in competition for awards purposes. Notifications regarding potential selection for competition status may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
8a. Films invited to exhibit at the Festival may be screened out of competition. TFF reserves the right to select whether films screen in or out of competition.
9. Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT IN FLORIDA (include locations) or made by FLORIDA FILMMAKERS. Providing this information helps us program films for the "Freshly Squeezed" screening designation. This denotation in your cover letter may not always constitute eligibility for the Florida Filmmaker Award; but,
9a. If you want to ensure consideration for the Florida Filmmaker Award, please identify the above-the-line individuals who worked on the film and are current Florida residents.
10. As a filmmaker-centric festival, we will accept a film that is a work-in-progress as long as it is expressly noted when submitted. Please also include general notes on what is yet to be completed in your cover letter. If the film is accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker must inform us of the availability of the final cut and supply the Festival with their most recent version.
11. Tallahassee Film Festival reserves the right to switch the entry category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests.
12. Films selected for the 2022 Festival year may also be shown simultaneously online on the Festival's website and in-person at physical venue locations around Tallahassee. More information will be provided about screening upon acceptance notification.
1. Tallahassee Film Festival reserves the right to cancel the 2022 Festival in the event of unforeseen circumstances (e.g., global pandemic; natural disaster). Every effort to provide notification via email to submitters will be made, but cannot be guaranteed in all instances. No submission fee refunds will be provided in the event of such a cancellation.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based on another person’s life, or on a book or other underlying work, filmmakers/applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the Festival, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. TFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
Selected Films and Winners
1. Filmmakers will be notified by approximately August 1, 2022 if their film has been accepted to the Tallahassee Film Festival.
2. Upon acceptance, exhibition copies and additional press materials will be requested.
3. TFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
4. TFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by TFF or by its volunteers.
5. Winners will be announced on September 4, 2022 at the Festival, and filmmakers not present in person will be notified thereafter. The judges’ decision are final.
6. TFF primarily screens films as digital files during the Festival. In some cases, other exhibition formats may be acceptable or needed. If your film is selected, we will confer with you on the exhibition formats available at the venue where the film will be screening.
7. The Tallahassee Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
I/We have read all the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We warrant that I/we am/are authorized to commit the film for screening during festival September 3-4, 2022.
I/We also warrant that the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE TALLAHASSEE FILM FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.