The TMFA is hosting it's first 48-Hour Film Competition! Aspiring and seasoned filmmakers come together to form teams and embark on an exhilarating journey, with just 48 hours to write, shoot, edit, and deliver a short film that showcases their boundless talents – with strict time constraints.
We have 11 film festival award categories:
Best Picture: The most prestigious award recognizing the overall excellence of a film.
Best Director: Honoring the visionary leadership behind the film’s direction.
Best Screenplay: Celebrating outstanding storytelling and writing.
Best Actor: Recognizing exceptional performances by male actors.
Best Actress: Recognizing exceptional performances by female actors.
Best Supporting Actor: Acknowledging outstanding supporting roles by male actors.
Best Supporting Actress: Acknowledging outstanding supporting roles by female actors.
Best Documentary: Honoring outstanding non-fiction storytelling.
Best Animated Film: Celebrating excellence in animated filmmaking.
Best Short Film: Recognizing exceptional short-form storytelling.
Social Impact Spotlight: Recognizing the film that addresses important social issues and inspires positive change.
TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival
This is a free educational event for the members of the free Educational Platform TMFA. There are no entry fees or profits being made by the TMFA or any on any of the films that are entered.
Official Time Period (Your time zone)
The TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival (online) will occur between
7:30pm, Friday September 22 and 7:30pm Sunday, September 24th, 2023
• Participating groups/teams must complete and submit their film online to FILMFREEWAY by 7:30 p.m. Sunday, September 24th, 2023
• Only films that meet the deadline will be part of the Category competition.
B. Preparation The only work you can start on before to the Official Time Period:
• Organizing crew
• Organizing cast
• Securing equipment
• Scouting/securing locations
C. Creative Process All creative work must take place during the Official Time Period.
Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
• Writing the script
• Costume/set design
• Sound design
D. Footage All footage must be filmed within the Official Time Period of the project.
• No stock footage or footage filmed before this official time period may be used.
• Animation and special effects are permitted but must be created during the Official Time Period.
• Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has right to them, but should be created during
the Official Time Period.
E. Kickoff Event
Be sure to shoot stills and footage documenting the kick-off that can be shared on the TMFA Platform.
F. Required Elements
Every group was given the assigned "Required Elements" at the same time.
• To qualify as an Official Entry, each film must contain all three (3)
G. Who Can Participate?
All Crew members must be a Member of the FB Community Talent Managers For Actors (TMFA).
• Recommended crew (team) size is 4 to 6 members, 10 maximum
• Cast members can include anyone from the community, but a talent release form should be signed for them to participate.
You may use any type of video or film camera.
I. Drone-UAV Policy
Drones (UAVs) are welcome for this competition.
J. Music Rights
Participating teams must have the rights to any music used in its film and must provide releases for all music used.
• As with music, prerecorded sound effects are allowed, but you must
have rights to use them.
• Note on Song parodies (use of identifiable pre-existing compositions
with new or altered lyrics or music) may not be included in the film
without a signed release from the composition's rights holder.
• This rule applies without regard whether the song parody arguably
constitutes fair use under U.S. or international copyright law.
K. Total Running Time
The finished film must be a minimum of 4 minutes in duration, and a maximum of 6 minutes in duration including credits. If you choose to turn in a film over that time, the committee may allow it to play as part of the festival and be eligible for the Audience Choice Award, but not eligible for the category awards.
L. Required Media Formats & Film Submission
When your film is edited you may submit your film to the TMFA Film Festival on the Film Freeway Platform
• All films must be kept private until screening of the winners on the TMFA Facebook Platform.
• All submissions must be turned in by 7pm in order to be considered for the awards.
• Audio Volume Guidelines Suggested volume between -12db to -6db
The Team Captain must submit an Entry Form with his/her completed Entry and Team Members' names certifying adherence to all Official Rules. This form can be found on the TMFA 48 Hour Film Website.
To be eligible for the TMFA 48 Film Festival submissions must be the original work of the Entrant; must not infringe third-party rights; must be suitable for publication; may not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and may not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned by the Entrant).
As a condition for participation, the TMFA 48 Film Festival Committee has full rights to reject any submission that it considers too violent or sexual in nature.
O. No Prescreening Distribution
Teams should not publicly distribute their competition films in any way before the premiere screening. This includes uploading the video to any public website, social media platform, or screening the film for groups of anyone other than the team. This is to allow our judges an unbiased viewing time before the event.
• Once the screening is over you can share your work in any way you see fit.
P. Entries Not Returned
No Entries (media or documents) will be returned.
I understand that entries can not infringe on copyrights of others and that all necessary permissions must be been obtained.
I understand the TMFA may use clips of Entrants film in promotional materials in association with the 48 Hour Film Festival.
Q. RELEASE OF DAMAGES
By participating in or engaging with or participating in the TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival, you agree to:
• Hold harmless TMFA, it’s officers, the TMFA 48 Film Festival Committee, its affiliates, sponsors, participants for and from any and all claims of copyright infringement related to my entry/entries, including its display at the film festival.
• Hold all Administrators and Moderators of the festival harmless from any claims, liabilities, losses, damages, expenses, or actions arising from or in connection with your involvement in the event. This includes, but is not limited to, any issues related to film submissions, content, intellectual property, disputes, or technical difficulties.
• Release and hold the TMFA, its organizers, volunteers, and affiliates harmless from any liability, claims, demands, injuries, losses, damages, legal fees, or other expenses arising from or in any way connected to the filming, production, or creation of my 48 Hour Film Festival entry film. This includes but is not limited to personal injuries, loss of wages, property damage, or any unforeseen incidents that may occur during the process. I understand that I am solely responsible for ensuring the safety and well-being of myself, my team members, and any individuals involved in the production, and I agree to indemnify and protect the TMFA against any claims or actions that may arise as a result.
Your participation signifies your acknowledgment and acceptance of these terms.
By submitting a film to the TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival, I unequivocally grant the TMFA absolute authority and irrevocable permission to utilize the submitted films, or segments thereof, exclusively for the creation of promotional materials intended for the promotion of the TMFA and all forthcoming TMFA 48 Hour Film Festivals. I affirm that I possess the requisite rights and permissions to authorize such usage and hereby absolve the TMFA and its representatives from any liability or claims stemming from this utilization.
I acknowledge that any divergence from the stipulated guidelines will lead to the automatic disqualification of the submitted film, and I accept full responsibility for any and all costs, expenditures, and damages linked to any resultant claims.
The TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival Committee reserves the right not to display any video it feels does not sufficiently meet guidelines.
The TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival Committee plans to display the winners of each category. However, the committee reserves the right to limit the total length of the TMFA48 Film Festival showing and to select the videos for display accordingly.
Prizes will be selected and awarded at the TMFA 48 Hour Film Festival committee’s discretion.