𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗙 𝗡𝗘𝗫𝗧 𝗪𝗔𝗩𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗟𝗠 𝗙𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗩𝗔𝗟
TIFF Next Wave is the heartbeat of year-round programming for young audiences at the Toronto International Film Festival. TIFF Next Wave celebrates the power in young people seeing themselves and their communities represented on screen. The annual TIFF Next Wave Film Festival returns April 11–14, 2024, bringing young audiences and creators together to explore new voices and perspectives in cinema. The Festival is curated by TIFF’s Next Wave Committee, a group of 12 teen film enthusiasts from across the Greater Toronto Area.
As the Festival celebrates its 13th edition, TIFF Next Wave is excited to welcome audiences to TIFF Bell Lightbox, promising a jam-packed weekend of bold new movies from around the world, amazing guests and Q&A sessions, industry workshops and talks at the Young Creators Co-Lab, and the ever-epic kick-off at Battle of the Scores. To learn more about TIFF Next Wave, visit: 𝘁𝗶𝗳𝗳.𝗻𝗲𝘁/𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁𝘄𝗮𝘃𝗲.
The TIFF Next Wave Film Festival is supported by the Ontario Arts Council, and the City of Toronto.
𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗚 𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗪𝗖𝗔𝗦𝗘: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗦𝗨𝗕𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗦𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗦
The TIFF Next Wave Film Festival is now accepting submissions for the Young Creators Showcase, a shorts programme featuring films made by young and emerging filmmakers from across Canada. From animation to fiction to documentary, this programme highlights a dynamic mix of voices, visions, and methods of storytelling. The Young Creators Showcase celebrates the next generation of Canadian filmmaking talent, showcasing bold new ways youth are engaging in cinema.
Submissions for the Young Creators Showcase close on Monday, January 22, 2024. There is no submission fee. To submit a film, please complete the registration process and provide an online screener via FilmFreeway for review. For information on how to upload and submit your film via FilmFreeway, please visit: filmfreeway.com/help/category/3969/projects-and-video-uploads.
Selected films will screen at TIFF Lightbox as part of the TIFF Next Wave Film Festival, April 11–14, 2024.
All filmmakers who meet the below criteria will be notified of a decision by February 29, 2024. TIFF will contact filmmakers using the contact information provided in the FilmFreeway registration form. Filmmakers are responsible for providing correct and functional contact information. TIFF is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact filmmakers using the contact information provided.
𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗚 𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗪𝗖𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗔𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗦: 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗕𝗬 𝗖𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗫
New in 2024, selected Young Creators Showcase films will be eligible for awards for Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Writing, and Best Editing. The winners will be chosen by a jury of film industry professionals who will assess the films and select the award recipients based on proficiency in form, expression, experimentation, and creativity. The winning films will be announced at the 2024 TIFF Next Wave Film Festival.
Presented by Cineplex in support of the next generation of Canadian filmmakers, the Young Creators Showcase Award recipients will receive a CineClub membership, access to the 2024 TIFF Industry Conference, and the following award prizing for the winning director(s):
• $4,000 CAD for Best Film
• $2,000 CAD for Best Cinematography
• $2,000 CAD for Best Writing
• $2,000 CAD for Best Editing
𝗙𝗜𝗟𝗠𝗦 𝗠𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗠𝗘𝗘𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗖𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗜𝗔 𝗜𝗡 𝗢𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗗 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗚 𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗪𝗖𝗔𝗦𝗘:
• Submissions are open to Canadian creators, age 14–26 at the time the film was made.
• Submissions are open to films that were completed in 2023 or 2024.
• Films must be no longer than 18 minutes in length, including credits.
• Filmmakers are welcome to submit multiple films for consideration.
• All non-English language films must be submitted with English subtitles.
• All genres and types of filmmaking are welcome, including but not limited to: fiction, animation, experimental, music video, and documentary.
• If selected, filmmakers will be asked to provide the required materials, including but not limited to: film stills, film synopsis, and biography of the filmmaker.
• All selected filmmakers will be asked to deliver a Theatrical Screening Copy of the film. Selected filmmakers will receive a Technical and Delivery Guidelines document with information on how to best deliver the Theatrical Screening Copy.
• All selected filmmakers will be invited to attend the TIFF Next Wave Film Festival and participate in a post-screening Q&A session. Filmmakers will be responsible for arranging their own travel and accommodation.
• All selected filmmakers will be eligible for the Young Creators Showcase Awards, presented by Cineplex.
TIFF is a not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world through film. An international leader in film culture, TIFF projects include the annual Toronto International Film Festival in September; TIFF Lightbox, which features five cinemas, learning and entertainment facilities; and innovative national distribution program Film Circuit. The organization generates an annual economic impact of $200 million CAD. TIFF Lightbox is generously supported by contributors including the Province of Ontario, the Government of Canada, the City of Toronto, the Reitman family (Ivan Reitman, Agi Mandel and Susan Michaels), The Daniels Corporation and RBC. For more information, visit: tiff.net.
TIFF is generously supported by Major Sponsors RBC and Visa, and Major Supporters the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto.