Sweaty Eyeballs Animation Festival (SEAF) celebrates the world’s most boundary-pushing, mind-blowing animation. This annual festival is focused on supporting unique, experimental and diverse voices in the field of animation, with a lean toward off-the-wall humor and energy.
2019 programming included multiple Academy Award nominees and a Cesar Award winner; animated shorts paired with live musical performance, guest curators, animator retrospectives, student work, and more.
SEAF returns October 23-30, 2020.
We remain dedicated to the search for innovative storytelling and craft, and we are working to create meaningful connections across geographic and stylistic divides even -- and especially -- as we temporarily transition to an online screening platform for this year.
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR?
SEAF accepts primarily animated shorts (under 20 minutes). We look for contemporary animated work from across the globe which best highlights the expressive potential of the medium, and pushes limits of what animation means.
WHO ARE WE?
Sweaty Eyeballs began in 2012 as the brainchild of animator and Towson University professor Phil Davis as a way to bring unique voices in international and independent animation to Baltimore audiences. The festival was a single night invitational screening from 2012-2018 with a diverse array of animated narrative, documentary, music video, and experimental work pushing the boundaries of art, craft, and technology. In 2017 the programming of Sweaty Eyeballs expanded to include a monthly animation screening series in collaboration with the Maryland Film Festival and the SNF Parkway Theatre, and in 2019, our first full festival was held, with roaring success.
Golden Eyeball Grand Prize
Silver Eyeball Honorable Mention
Best Student Film
Eye-Popper Prize - most unique, boundary pushing, and experimental
Best Baltimore Animation
The above prizes will be awarded based on votes by a jury of five film/animation professionals. Jurors will be selected by the Festival Director of Programming.
Sweaty Eyeballs Animation Festival includes an international competition and international student competition for animated short films.
• Sweaty Eyeballs welcomes all animation techniques for submission
• Sweaty Eyeballs welcomes professional and student work
• Narrative, documentary, and experimental work are all encouraged for submission
• Sweaty Eyeballs does not have a category for commissioned films, advertising films, or
sponsored content, but music videos are encouraged to submit
• Films must be completed after January 1st, 2019
• Films must not exceed 20 minutes
• Films that are already available online are still eligible
• Applicant must be the rightful owner of the submitted film and own any literary or
• Applicants may submit more than one film, but a separate submission must
accompany each film
• Sweaty Eyeballs does not pay screening fees for films selected in competition
Early Deadline - May 29, 2020 - $15, $10 student
Regular Deadline - June 26, 2020 - $25, $15 student
Late Deadline - July 24, 2020 - $35, $25 student
• Filmmakers are required to complete an application form via FilmFreeway
• Film application must include 3-5 film stills, synopsis, and filmmaker bio
• Sweaty Eyeballs only accepts online submission links for preview of films (Vimeo/Youtube, etc.)
• Online links to films may be public or private
• Film must be complete at the time of submission, no works in progress will be considered
• Films with languages other than English must have English subtitles
Preview Copy of film - Sweaty Eyeballs accepts link/urls to film including vimeo or youtube
Screening Copy - Apple ProRes 422, HD or 4K resolution, stereo or 5.1 surround sound
Sweaty Eyeballs reserves the right to refuse a screening copy of poor technical quality or that does not match above specifications. Films with dialogue in any language other than English must have English subtitles.
Film Selection & Notification:
Film selections are carried out by the Festival Director of Programming in collaboration with a pre-screening committee of professional animators/filmmakers. Final selections and awards are determined by the Festival Director of Programming and a jury of five animation professionals chosen by the Festival Director of Programming.
Filmmakers will be notified of selection status by September 9, 2020. Selected films for competition will be announced on the festival website by September 20, 2020.
Screening Copy Delivery:
Screening copies of all films accepted to competition programs must be delivered via online download by September 30, 2020 at the latest.
Online file download delivery may be via google drive, dropbox, wetransfer, or ftp.
All screening copy file downloads must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Acceptance of Terms:
By submitting a film the entrant guarantees that they have obtained all appropriate rights and clearances, and that they have legal right to both enter their film and, if selected, screen it publicly within the Sweaty Eyeballs Animation Festival.