We have gotten 2 writers produced and 1 is in pre-production during our first 2 years!
Season 4 is now accepting entries!
Sunvale Screenplay Contest was developed to connect undiscovered screenwriters with filmmakers and offer them an opportunity to see their work on the screen!
Our season 2 winner got her entire screenplay optioned, produced and distributed!
What makes us different from other contests:
--Every submission is read by a producer -- we do not use "professional readers" to judge the screenplays like most contests.
--The Grand Prize Winner will get a proof-of-concept film produced based on their screenplay (or like our season 2 winner -- the entire screenplay got produced)!
--All 5 category winners will also get a free submission to the next Sunvale contest cycle AND free submission to our sister contest Sunvale Table Read Screenplay contest.
--ScreenReaders (https://www.myscreenreaders.com) are also sponsoring prizes for our finalists.
Proof-of-concept films function like a teaser for your screenplay and can be used to sell the screenplay. Many famous movies were sold and produced based on a proof-of-concept film, including Sin City, District 9, and Whiplash.
If you want to see you work produced at the highest quality standards, Sunvale Screenplay Contest is the choice for you!
This is our fourth season, and we accept features, TV pilots and short screenplays in 5 different categories (Action/Adventure, Horror/thriller, Drama, Comedy, Female screenwriters).
Season 3 winners:
Grand Prize Winner: Anna Incognito by Laura Preble (in pre-production)
Action/Adventure: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek
Horror: Cringe by Warren Lane
Drama: Do Unto Others by Joseph Michael Leone
Comedy: Recharge by Kathryn Mincer
Female Screenwriter: Larry by Katie Rose Summerfield
Season 2 winners:
Grand Prize Winner: Mischief Night by Melanie Ortiz (film is now distributed worldwide)
Action winner: By The Time I Got To Woodstock by Jeffrey Massie
Thriller winner: Several Murders, Two Big Explosions and Something Approaching a Rape by Joseph Graves
Drama winner: Friendship, Honor, and Murder by Giacomo Giammatteo
Comedy winner: 2nd Date by Jaik Andino
Female winner: The Bridge by Persephone Vandegrift
Season 1 winners:
Grand Prize Winner: Cannibal Mukbang by Aimee Kuge (watch on our YouTube channel)
Action winner: Electrocution and Other Minor Inconveniences by Piper Gaul
Thriller winner: Monster by Kurt Choate
Drama winner: The Double by Leor Zinati
Comedy winner: Pick by Bernhard Riedhammer
Female winner: SUPPOSED TO BE by Dr. Beth-Anne Blue
Watch the winning films here: https://youtu.be/3RX_i8MTtZQ
GRAND PRIZE WINNER:
--We will produce a proof-of-concept film of the Grand Prize-winning script.
--The winning screenwriter will receive copies of the final product to help promote/sell their screenplay.
5 CATEGORY WINNERS
--Free entry to Sunvale Table Read Screenplay contest and Sunvale Screenplay Contest.
We are also partnering with ScreenReaders (https://www.myscreenreaders.com) who are sponsoring the following prizes:
One finalist (chosen randomly) will receive their free regular package.
Finalists will receive 50% off any screenplay coverage package.
Semifinalists will receive 35% off any screenplay coverage package.
Quarter finalists will receive 25% off any screenplay coverage package.
1. We accept features, TV pilots and short screenplays in 5 different categories:
--Action/Adventure (feature, TV, short)
--Horror/thriller (feature, TV, short)
--Drama (feature, TV, short)
--Comedy (feature, TV, short)
--Female screenwriters (feature, TV, short)
Note: We only accept original TV pilots
2. You will keep all rights to your screenplay.
3. All writers 18 years or older are eligible.
4. The screenplay must be submitted in standard screenplay format, font, spacing and margin, in English and in PDF format. Any submission not meeting these qualifications will be disqualified without further notice.
5. Screenplays submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
6. Previously produced screenplays or screenplays that will become optioned, sold, or produced during the contest will be ineligible or will be disqualified.
7. Adaptations are eligible if the writer holds all rights.
8. Page limits are as follows: Feature: 60-130 pages, TV pilots: 20-70 pages, shorts 1-40 pages.
9. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
10. By submitting to the contest, you give us a permission to email you about the contest, our sister contests, and any topics directly related to Sunvale contest and their partners. If you no longer wish to receive any emails from us (including updates on contest results), you can opt out by emailing us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. BY SUBMITTING YOUR MATERIALS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS AND THE ADDITIONAL RULES STATED ON THE SUNVALE WEBSITE. You agree to release and hold harmless Sunvale Screenplay Contest, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, analysts, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting your submission of material, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s submission of materials and/or acceptance or use or misuse of prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Sunvale Screenplay Contest and its sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Festival and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Award. Employees of Sunvale Screenplay Contest and their immediate families are ineligible to submit materials. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. SUBMISSION OF MATERIAL IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided submission fees will be refunded.