Proudly presented and produced by the City of Port Phillip, the St Kilda Film Festival supports the Australian film industry by turning the spotlight on a wide range of fascinating works that may not otherwise see the light of day. Exceptional short films by both emerging talent and accomplished industry professionals are shown on the big screen, where they look their shiny best.
Accredited by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the St Kilda Film Festival is now an Academy Awards® qualifying event, with award-winning films from the Festival eligible for consideration in the Short Film Awards AND Documentary Short sections of the Oscars®.
St Kilda Film Festival provides the most comprehensive overview of the national short film industry, screening the top short film entries received each year alongside a rich program of international screenings, special events plus a free Filmmaker Development Program.
The Short Film Competition prize pool totals over $50,000 in cash and in-kind craft awards, including a $10,000 prize for Best Short Film. Other awards include Best Director, Best Achievement in Screenplay, Best Documentary and Best Achievement in Cinematography.
St Kilda Film Festival Terms and Conditions
1. The St Kilda Film Festival screens Australian-made short films. The Festival also accepts Australian co-productions where:
- a significant proportion of key crew are Australian
- significant pre and post production occurred in Australia
- the film received significant funding from Australia.
Australian co-production eligibility details must be detailed at the time of submission and the Festival has final decisions on eligibility. If you are unsure of eligibility, please contact the Festival office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. St Kilda Film Festival accepts all fiction and non-fiction film genres.
3. Films submitted must be no longer than 30 minutes, inclusive of credits.
4. If selected for screening, the Festival insists the film is not publicly available on the internet.
5. The producer grants St Kilda Film Festival the rights to:
(a) Exhibit the film in the St Kilda Film Festival and to be considered as part of the festival regional tour
(b) Include a section of the production for promotional purposes.
6. The producer warrants to the St Kilda Film Festival that they have obtained all the necessary permissions to enter this film and that the film does not infringe the rights, including copyright, of any third party. This includes use of music and literary material.
7. All productions screened at 2019 St Kilda Film Festival must have been completed within 2 years of the entry closing date.
8. Entries cannot be withdrawn after Thursday 14 March 2019. By submitting your film to the St Kilda Film Festival for consideration, you acknowledge this condition of entry and waive your right to withdraw your film from the Festival after this date.
9. If your film is selected for the Festival, you will be sent an email confirmation by Friday 19 April 2019.
10. The St Kilda Film Festival will tour a selection of films featured in the Festival around Victoria from July through to September 2019. All films entered in the St Kilda Film Festival will be considered for touring.
11. The St Kilda Film Festival only screens productions finished on QuickTime Video Codecs: Apple Pro Res 422/4444 or H.264. We do NOT screen from Beta SP, HDCam or DVD. To ensure your entry is screened correctly, you must include screening gauge and ratio details as requested on the entry form.
Australia's Under the Radar Youth Short Film Competition
Terms & Conditions (in addition to those listed above)
1. An entrant in the Youth Short Film Category must under 21 years on the opening day of the St Kilda Film Festival in June of the year of entry (The entrant is referred to as the Producer).
2. The Producer is solely liable for and indemnifies and saves harmless to The City of Port Phillip’s employees and agents against all liability, claims, actions, proceedings, demands and penalties, to the extent that they are incurred by or brought against or made upon Council or which Council may pay, sustain or be put to by reason of, or arising out of or in connection with the Producer entering the competition including but not limited to making the film, except where such liability, claims actions,
proceedings, demands and penalties arises out of or in connection with a negligent or willful act or default of Council, its employees and or its agents.
3. The Producer is the copyright owner of the film that is entered in the Youth Short Film Contest. The Producer must sort permission to use any copy righted music featured in the film from the owner of said music.
4. Films must not contain violence or images, language or behaviour that is unlawful or offensive or that make reference to drug use. Where this requirement is not complied with, the Producer may be contacted to edit the film or otherwise the film will be disqualified. All films should correspond to a Australian G-rating
CATEGORY G-GENERAL: IMPACT TEST
The impact of the classifiable elements for material classified G should be very mild only.
Note: The G classification is for a general audience. However, it does not necessarily indicate that children will enjoy the film or computer game. Some G films and games contain themes, story-lines or gameplay that do not interest children.
THEMES: The treatment of themes should have a very low sense of threat or menace, and be justified by context.
VIOLENCE: Violence should have only a low sense of threat or menace, and be justified by context. Sexual violence is not permitted.
SEX: Sexual activity should be very mild and very discreetly implied, and be justified by context.
LANGUAGE: Coarse language should be very mild and infrequent, and be justified by context.
DRUG USE: Drug use should be implied only very discreetly, and be justified by context.
NUDITY: Nudity should be justified by context.
5. Films should be no longer than 15 minutes in duration including the titles and credits. Exceptions can be made to the time constraint.
This event is sponsored by FReeZA: for all ages and drug, smoke and alcohol free.