The 6th Sport Film Festival Rotterdam from 15 to 18 April 2020 promises to be an exciting festival with three days full of films screenings, award shows, talk shows and specials.
Sport Film Festival Rotterdam is among the best sports film festivals in the world. Thousands of film lovers, sports minded people, film professionals, athletes, celebrities and journalists visit the festival every year to celebrate sports films and to talk about important and fun topics related to sports and sports film.
The festival selects sports narratives and documentaries, both feature length and short form. The programs of the festival are:
• Competition of feature length sports films (narratives and documentaries)
• Competition of short form sports films (narratives and documentaries)
• Out of competition of sports films (narratives and documentaries)
• Competition of Rotterdam sports films (submission already closed)
The festival is organized by the Sports Films Promotion Foundation to raise the awareness for and the exposure of sports films with the aim to contribute to the development of sports films, to stimulate the sports film industry and to celebrate local, national and international sports cinema.
New in 2020 is the award show on the opening evening of the festival. A jury consisting of international award-winning filmmakers and high-level film executives will appoint the winners of:
• Best feature length sports film 2020
• Best short form sports film 2020
• Best director of a sports film 2020
• Best cinematography of a sports film 2020
• Special Jury Prize 2020
• Sport & Society Prize 2020
There will also be a Sport Film Festival Rotterdam Audience Award 2020 and the Rotterdam Sports Film Award 2020 for best sports film about Rotterdam.
The winners will be presented an award and an official certificate. The Rotterdam Sports Film Award 2020 also includes a cash award of 1,500 Euros.
RULES & TERMS FOR SUBMISSION OF FILMS TO THE SPORT FILM FESTIVAL ROTTERDAM 2020
The Sports Film Promotion Foundation (the Foundation) is the rightful organizer of the Sport Film Festival Rotterdam 2020.
1. Films with a final running time of 40 minutes or more are considered feature length. Films with a final running time of less than 40 minutes are considered short form.
2. Feature length films that have been or will be broadcasted or that have been or will be released on a SVOD platform, in their current form, in the Netherlands before April 19, 2020, are not eligible for submission to the Sport Film Festival Rotterdam (the Festival) unless the version submitted is significantly different from the version that was or will be made available to the general public.
3. In order to qualify for the Festival’s competition programs, the submitted feature length films must retain Dutch premiere status prior to April 19, 2020. The Festival’s out of competition program is open for all films without Dutch premiere status, unless otherwise decided by the Foundation.
4. Short form films may be or may have been broadcasted or released on a SVOD platform at any time and they do not need to retain any sort of premiere status.
5. Films completed prior to January 1, 2017, are not eligible for submission to the Festival. The foundation reserves the right to make exceptions and to accept submissions of films from before January 1, 2017, and to possibly select these films for the festival.
6. All submitted films, even those with Dutch or English spoken dialogue, preferably have on-screen English subtitles. Films that contain significant non-English spoken dialogue must provide on-screen English subtitles.
7. The submission categories of the Festival are:
1.) Feature length sports films: sports narratives and documentaries with a final running time of 40 minutes or more.
2.) Short form sports films: sports narratives and documentaries with a final running time of less than 40 minutes.
8. The programs of the Festival are:
1.) Competition of feature length sports films (8-12 films)
2.) Competition of short form sports films (4-10 films)
3.) Out of competition of sports films (5-10 films)
4.) Competition of Rotterdam sports films (3 films)
The Festival reserves the right to consider the submitted film for any festival program, regardless of the submission category selected.
9. Upon completion of the Festival selection process, the Foundation will attempt to contact the entity that submitted the film (the Applicant) using the contact information provided on the submission form to notify the Applicant of their submitted film’s acceptance status.
10. The Applicant represents and warrants to the Foundation that: (a) he/she is duly authorized, on his/her own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the film (hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”), to exhibit this film at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
11. The Applicant acknowledges, on behalf of himself/herself and the Film’s Owners, that he/she and they understand that neither he/she nor any of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for the exhibition of the film at the festival, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards.
12. The Applicant agrees, on behalf of himself/herself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the Foundation and the Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “the Foundation Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by the Foundation, the Festival, or any of the Foundation Related Parties, at any time in connection with the film or the Foundation’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by the Applicant to the Foundation, the Festival or any of the Foundation Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms.
13. In the event that the film is accepted by the Foundation for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, the Applicant hereby grants, on behalf of himself/herself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Foundation, the Festival, and any of the Foundation Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. The Applicant also agrees to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the film, and to grant the Foundation and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events.
14. The Foundation only accepts DCP as a format for exhibition of the film at the Festival.
15. The Foundation reserves the right to change the date and venue of the Festival, cancel the Festival and update the rules & terms for submission of films to the Festival.
16. By completing the submission application for the Sport Film Festival Rotterdam 2020 consideration, the Applicant freely and voluntarily gives and expresses his/her full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Rules and Terms.