"Named One of the 25 Coolest Film Festivals in the World!" Moviemaker Magazine, Sept 2016.
"The best-curated film festival in the Twin Cities, Sound Unseen focuses on movies with musical themes, often pairing them with filmmaker appearances and live music." Chris Hewitt, St. Paul Pioneer Press Nov. 2015
The 20th annual Sound Unseen music film festival will take place Wednesday, November 13 through Sunday, November 17, 2019 in Minneapolis, MN.
In the fall of 1999, Sound Unseen introduced itself as a unique, cutting edge “films-on-music” festival in Minneapolis and St. Paul of the Twin Cities and has established itself as one of the premiere niche festivals in the country, but more importantly as an important and vital part of the regional cultural scene. Now in its 19th year, the festival has expanded to include year-round programming and special presentations including world and regional premiere screenings including Sigur Ros' INNA, Anvil! The Story of Anvil!, Filmage: The Story of Descendents/ALL, Color Me Obsessed, Beware of Mr. Baker, Don't Break Down: A Film About Jawbreaker, Contemporary Color, A Fat Wreck, Colin Hay: Waiting for My Real Life, Mavis, The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead, The Punk Singer, Heaven Adores You, Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records, and Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes.
While bringing the best in documentaries, short films, and music videos it also showcases rare concert footage, interactive panels, and live music events. As part of its year-round presence, Sound Unseen offers a successful monthly screening series and special events throughout the Twin Cities. This diversity in content separates Sound Unseen from the typical outdoor mega concerts and film festivals. What began as an underground film festival with only a handful of attendees, Sound Unseen is now a well respected and known brand that has a loyal following and continues to program exciting, unexpected, and consistent array of music, film, fashion, and art.
Sound Unseen has received press coverage in all major local media including The Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, City Pages, Secrets of the City, Twin Cities Daily Planet, Walker Art blog, Northland News, Growler Magazine, Twin Cities Gay Scene, MinnPost; local radio stations 89.3 The Current, Minnesota Public Radio, KFAN, KFAI, Radio K and television news including NBC, FOX, and CBS. National media mentions have included Rolling Stone, Moviemaker Magazine, Hammer to Nail, Paste Magazine, USA Today, The Playlist, Pop Culture Beast, AMFM Magazine, and AIF Independent magazine of New York.
There will be a prize awarded to the winning film in competition (competition films are selected by Sound Unseen staff members). There will be a five person jury with five-eight films in competition and the winning film will be announced during the festival..
1. Films must be Minnesota, Midwest, US, North American, and/or World premieres to screen at Sound Unseen.
2. Films must be at least MN premieres to be considered and eligible to be accepted into "Competition"
3. Films that have been previously submitted to the Sound Unseen are not eligible.
4. Films must have been completed on or after January 1, 2018.
5. Films in theatrical release in Minnesota prior to, or at the time of the festival (Nov. 13-17, 2019) are not eligible.
6. Film screeners must be submitted via private video screener link with password.
7. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
8. Entrant will allow usage of clips from the film for promotional use on television, radio, in print, and at live Festival events.
9. All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English. Non-English entries submitted without subtitles are not eligible.
10. Student film entries must include proof of student status at the time of production (i.e., copy of student ID, transcript, etc.
11. Any film submitted through FilmFreeway or receive a fee waiver will not be allowed a screening or rental fee. NO EXCEPTIONS!