Soo Film Festival marks year five in 2018. The festival is once again headquartered in downtown Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, with films screening September 12-16 at the historic Soo Theatre and Bayliss Public Library, a Superior District Library.
The festival has issued an open call for entries beginning April 3. Documentary and all genres of fiction, feature and shorts, will be accepted online exclusively through FilmFreeway. The festival committee has set a no-fee early bird deadline of May 11. The regular deadline is June 22 and requires a $10 entry fee. Late entries must be submitted by July 9 with an entry fee of $15. The selected films will be announced the first week of August.
Soo Film Festival 2018 is open to filmmakers worldwide but will continue to emphasize and showcase work from the Great Lakes region.
This is our fifth year and it feels like we're just getting started. We are looking forward to seeing more of the fantastic talent from the Great Lakes and around the world and will enjoy in showing it off in September.
Send us your film!
Audience Awards: Best in Category (depending on submissions)
IMPORTANT DATES (2018)
May 11: Early bird deadline - *** FREE ENTRY ***
June 22: Regular deadline - $10 entry fee
July 9: Late deadline - $15 entry fee
August 7: Filmmaker notification of acceptance
August 21: Exhibition copies must be in the office
September 12-16: Festival Dates
Completion Date: No restriction.
Prior Screenings: No restriction.
Exhibition Formats: If your film is accepted, your final exhibition copy must be in Blu-Ray, DVD, or MP4 format ONLY. Digital delivery via cloud service (for example, Vimeo, Dropbox, etc.) is preferred. If we have not received your exhibition copy by the August 21 deadline, a screening copy will be used.
Language: Foreign language films must include English subtitles.
Copyrighted Material: It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to secure prior authorization for any copyrighted material that may be used in the film.
Screenings: All accepted films may be screened more than once, and are scheduled at the discretion of the Soo Film Festival staff.
Deadline: You must submit your film online through FilmFreeway.com. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis.
Notification: Films selected for screening will be notified by email around August 7, 2018.
You may enter your film in one category only.
If the Festival determines that work has been entered in the wrong category, it will be reassigned and the entrant notified.
In all categories, preference will be given to films that are connected to the Great Lakes in some way. Examples: film personnel (director, actors, writers, musicians, etc.) are from the Great Lakes area, or the film is shot on location in the Great Lakes area, or the film is about the Great Lakes area. The Great Lakes area includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin; and the province of Ontario.
The categories are:
-- Narrative Feature - Narrative works of fiction that are 40 minutes or longer.
-- Narrative Short - Fiction films that are shorter than 40 minutes.
-- Documentary Feature - Non-fiction films that are between 40 and 90 minutes long. If your documentary is longer than 90 minutes, please consider submit a shortened version in the appropriate category.
-- Documentary Short - Non-fiction films that are shorter than 40 minutes.
-- Animation - Films shorter than 40 minutes, animated by any means
-- Music video – Music videos shorter than 15 minutes.
REQUIRED ENTRY MATERIALS
1. Completed submission through FilmFreeway.
2. A short summary of your film (25-35 words). Additional press and publicity materials are appreciated but not required.
3. A description of the connection for your film to the Great Lakes, if any.
Please note: Because we give preference to films that are connected to the Great Lakes in some way, it is very important that your entry describe the connection. In FilmFreeway this is accomplished by your entry in a custom field.
Audience Awards: Best in Category (depending on submissions).
By signing and submitting this form or by submitting your film through FilmFreeway.com, you are stating that you have read, understood, and agree to the following:
1) Soo Film Festival, Inc. (SFF) reserves the right to include selected films in any category deemed appropriate. Not all films will be selected for screenings during the 2018 Soo Film Festival (the Festival), but all submitted films will be considered. All Submitters will be notified on or about August 7, 2018 of the status of their submission/s. SFF reserves the right to program selected films as many times during the Festival as it sees fit, at whatever venue it sees fit.
2) If a film is selected for screening, the Film Director (Submitter) guarantees that he/she/they are the sole and rightful owner/s of the submission and that it does not violate or infringe on any trademark, trade name, copyright, literary, dramatic, musical, artistic or other intellectual property or personal right. If a film is selected, the filmmaker agrees that he/she will be solely responsible for the delivery of his/her film to the SFF Festival Office no later than August 21, 2018. All DVDs must be marked with the name of the film and filmmaker.
3) All participants acknowledge that the Festival is a public event that is open to the media. As such, all participants are subject to media coverage and scrutiny and may have their likenesses published in print, electronically, or via digital broadcast. SFF is not now, nor will it be in the future, responsible or liable for such media coverage or actions of the press or other publicity agents during any events or functions associated with the Festival.
4) Once a submission has been made, and the entry fee, if applicable, has been paid, there are no refunds. ALL submission materials become the property of SFF and will not be returned.
WHERE TO SEND YOUR MATERIALS
If you are not delivering your materials digitally, send them by US Postal Service or by UPS or FEDEX with NO SIGNATURE REQUIREMENT to:
Soo Film Festival
1001 E 7th Ave
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783