The Third Annual Sioux Empire Film Festival will take place April 2018 in downtown Sioux Falls.
SEFF will offer three days of films, filmmaking/acting workshops, and many opportunities to network with like minds.
- The Sioux Empire Film Festival will be a platform where film lovers and filmmakers can come together to participate, collaborate, socialize, and learn;
- Unite the Sioux Empire through the expression of film as an art;
- Place artistic and cultural merit above commercial appeal;
- Work collaboratively to broaden access to quality film arts;
- Cultivate an innovative and forward-thinking organization;
- The long-term goal is to enhance growth both culturally and economically to the Sioux Falls area and throughout the region.
The Sioux Empire Film Festival is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating out of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Awards & Prizes
Awards will be presented for the following:
- Best Short Film
- Best Feature Film
- Best Documentary
- Best Documentary
- Best Student Film
- Best Animated Film
- Best South Dakota Short Film
SEFF will also have special Jury awards.
Accepted films will receive 2 VIP passes.
Rules & Terms
Sioux Empire Film Festival proudly accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, the world's best online submissions platform. FilmFreeway offers free HD online screeners, Vimeo and YouTube integration, and more.
The ONLY difference in the early submission deadline versus the final submission deadline is the fee discount. The submission process remains the same whether you submit before the earlybird deadline or the extended deadline. All that matters is that you get your film submitted before the extended deadline.
By submitting your film you, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission Guidelines, Terms and Conditions of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements.
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This production (feature, short, documentary, or other media) is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this production to the Sioux Empire Film Festival.
5. I hold the Sioux Empire Film Festival (SEFF), it’s board of directors, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry.
6. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the production.
7. I give permission for the SEFF to use excerpts of up to two minutes of the production for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted in attached writing and submitted with entry.
8. I give permission for the SEFF to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the production for promotional purposes.
9. I give permission for the SEFF to screen the production at the SEFF event.
10. Submitter must own all copyrights; (If requested) must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Submitter/Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
11. I give my permission for the SEFF to share my film and contact information with SEFF festival partners unless I specify otherwise.
12. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into SEFF festival or other SEFF events.
Part 2: Film Submissions
1. All Festival submissions should be submitted as an online screener through FilmFreeway. If you are unable to provide an online screener please contact email@example.com
2. The SEFF is open to any genre of film. Pornographic material or material deemed pornographic will not be accepted. Short film and short documentary submissions are under forty (40) minutes. Feature films and documentary submissions are forty (40) minutes and over.
3. Multiple entries are allowed. Submit as much of your work as you want!
4. PRODUCER / FILMMAKER / COPYRIGHTS: submitter (filmmaker or producer) will be referred to as producer or submitter. Producer must own all copyrights; must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
5. ENTRY FEES: View the "Categories and Fees" to note fees and deadlines. Entry fees are non-refundable. If your entry fee is not received with or prior to your submission, your entry may be deemed disqualified at the discretion of the SEFF. To receive the discount of NO FEE for South Dakota Filmmakers/South Dakota made films you must provide proof of your residency or proof of production in South Dakota. Students will receive the discounted price if they can provide a copy of their Student ID or transcript.
6. If accepted into the Sioux Empire Film Festival, producers must be able to provide, at the minimum, a DVD (NTSC) for digital presentation. Other formats may be permitted.
7. Date of Completion: Film must have been completed after January 1, 2015. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for an exception if your film was completed before January 1, 2014.
8. PREMIERE/DISTRIBUTION STATUS: We accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere; submissions may have distribution agreements already in place. However, TV, theatrical, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festival, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently or in the same month of the festival may not be eligible for screening. Decisions made at SEFF discretion.
9. ROUGH CUTS AND INCOMPLETE PROJECTS: Always try to send the best representation of your project. Rough cuts can be entered in contest, but must be completed and received within four weeks of the festival date.
10. SEFF MARKETING: By submitting, producer is consenting for use and copying of accepted projects for the purpose of promoting the Sioux Empire Film Festival and future festivals. Producer is giving SEFF permission to use up to two minutes of submission to promote the festival.
11. SEFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting to the festival, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for the SEFF to exhibit Producer's submission in the SEFF event.
12. SEFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: Producer further understands that there is no monetary compensation for entering, exhibiting or being chosen as an official selection to the festival.
13. SCREENERS AND JURY: All screening, selection, and jury decisions are final. Our panel of jurors and our screening committee use a rating system on entries and official selections. They screen many fine films; however, as with all festivals there is limited programming availability. By entering the SEFF and any of its contests, Producers are verifying that you understand entry does not guarantee a screening. Additionally, being chosen as an Official Selection does not guarantee a screening in the theater either. The SEFF may have Official Selections (non-screening) as well as Official Selections (screening). Decisions are final and at the discretion of the SEFF.
14. OFFICIAL SELECTIONS: If chosen as an official selection, the SEFF will request acknowledgment of your acceptance and additional materials. If any of the requested materials are not received by the festival in the time allotted, it is at the discretion of the festival to keep or remove the project as an Official Selection.