* Submissions now closed for 2022 - please stay tuned for our next call for submissions *
The only "Pacific Rim" film festival in the world returns in 2022 for our 10th annual edition!
After a successful pivot to an online festival format over the past two years, we are planning for a hybrid event to take place in 2022, both online around the world and in-person at our home base on Vancouver Island.
Every year, Short Circuit screens work from over 30 countries and welcomes filmmakers from around the Pacific Ocean to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Short Circuit is presented by CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers -- we acknowledge and respect the long history of the Lək̓ʷəŋən people, now known as the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, as well as the W̱SÁNEĆ First Nation, on whose traditional and unceded territory we carry out our activities.
In 2021 we presented a record-breaking 50 short films in 10 online screening programs, with more than 25 filmmakers tuning in to livestream Q&As from around the world. We also re-activated "Odeon Alley" adjacent to our headquarters in Victoria, running all the films in the public square for socially distanced viewing in the open air. We supported struggling artists by sharing ticket sales with filmmakers, and the CINE⚡SPARK script + pitch competition crowned its fifth winner!
Filmmakers from all regions bordering the Pacific Ocean are invited to submit your short film to our next festival happening in May 2022. We are looking for great films made after January 1, 2020 in all genres with a maximum running time of 20 minutes. And this year we've added NEW categories for web series! Your film will also be considered for upcoming Short Circuit touring programs.
At Short Circuit we put filmmakers first. Our entry fees are low and accessible (even lower for FilmFreeway Gold Members!). We share ticket sales with our international filmmakers, and pay IMAA standard screening fees to Canadian filmmakers. All selected directors are invited to Victoria to participate in-person or in online Q&As from your homes around the world. We might even interview you for our podcast!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
CINE⚡️SPARK script competition and production program is also back again with a prize package valued at over $17,500!
Now entering its sixth year, CINE⚡️SPARK awards a hefty production package of cash, resources, and equipment rentals to the production of an outstanding short film script by a writer/filmmaker from the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands region in British Columbia, Canada. The Top 5 will pitch their projects at Short Circuit in May 2022, and one winner will receive the production package! Sponsored by William F. White International Inc. and Modo Car Share Co-op. Please see www.cinevic.ca/cinespark for full program guidelines.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Short Circuit and CINE⚡SPARK are presented by CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers in Victoria, Canada -- the province of British Columbia's beautiful capital city on Vancouver Island. Nestled between Vancouver and Seattle, between the Salish Sea and the Pacific Ocean, the city is surrounded by historical landmarks and natural landscapes sure to captivate any traveller. Victoria is a Royal destination and has been named one of the Top 5 Cities in Canada by Travel + Leisure, one of the Friendliest Cities in the World by Condé Nast, and one of the Top 20 Places to Visit by CNN, while Canada was recently picked as the #1 destination country by Lonely Planet. Our world-class locations also attract many well-known film productions such as X-Men, Deadpool, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEE, and many Hallmark TV movies.
• Outstanding International Film
• Outstanding BC Film
• Outstanding Documentary Film
• Outstanding Web Series
• Outstanding Animated Film
• Outstanding Director
• Outstanding Cinematography
• Outstanding Art Direction
• Outstanding Screenplay
• Outstanding Performance
• Outstanding Sound
• Outstanding Music
• Outstanding Editing
• Audience Choice
Short Circuit rules:
1) Entries and submission fees are only accepted via the FilmFreeway online portal.
2) Film submissions are only eligible from residents of the following locations:
• British Columbia or Yukon, Canada
• Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, or Guam, USA
• Australia, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji
• Japan, Russian Far East, North Korea, South Korea, Pacific Coast Provinces of China, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Thailand
• Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Pacific Coast States of Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru
• Entries truly originating from outside of these states/provinces/countries will be deleted. NO REFUNDS.
3) Entries may be fiction, documentary, animation, experimental, or other genre. Films must be in English OR contain English subtitles. Maximum running time is 20 minutes including credits. Only films completed after January 1, 2020 will be considered. Only the originally submitted version of the film will be considered (file updates after the original submission date will not be considered).
4) Films which are publicly available to view online are not eligible.
5) Only films which are selected to screen at the festival will receive notification.
6) If selected for screening at the festival, the filmmaker will be required to submit the following:
• Minimum two high-resolution film stills
• One high-resolution Director's headshot photo
• Brief synopsis of the film
• Film exhibition copy in 2K or 1080p resolution, in DCP, ProRes, or MP4 format
• Film trailer file and/or online link
7) Once a film has been selected for the festival it may not be withdrawn.
8) Screening fees will be paid to Canadian films/filmmakers which are selected to screen at the festival, as per IMAA standard rates.
9) One representative from each selected film will be provided with a pass to all festival events.
10) Your submission of this entry form confirms that:
• You have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration along with your acceptance of Short Circuit film festival regulations.
• CineVic, Short Circuit, and CINE⚡️SPARK are not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, or royalty infringements related to the work.
• You agree to allow the festival the use of your film and its publicity materials (including name, photo, and bio of Director) for promotional purposes, with worldwide non-geoblocked distribution for the duration of the festival.
- - -
• The CINE⚡️SPARK production program is open to anyone residing on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands. Eligibility will be determined at the script stage by the address stated in the submitter's/Writer's FilmFreeway profile, and for the pitch competition by the address provided for the other team members (Director, Producer).
• Entrants must submit a complete short film script in standard screenplay format. THE WRITER'S NAME AND CONTACT INFO MUST BE REMOVED.
• You may submit as many scripts as you wish, but only one script per writer/submitter will be allowed in the Top 5.
• Scripts may be 10 pages maximum, not including title page. Scripts must be an original work and must be live-action narrative (documentary, animation, or experimental films are not eligible). Only the originally submitted version of the script will be considered (file updates after the original submission date will not be considered).
• The Top 5 finalists will be announced in April 2022. These 5 Writers may then form teams with a Director and a Producer for the pitch event. These other roles must also be filled by residents of the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands region. The Writer may fill 2, but not 3, of these key positions. The Top 5 will be required to submit a headshot photo and bio of each team member for promotional purposes. **Please Note: The Top 5 are not required to form a team, and may perform their pitch solo if desired.**
• Top 5 teams will pitch their projects at Short Circuit in May 2022 (exact date and time TBA). Attendance at the pitch event is mandatory for the Top 5, otherwise your spot will be forfeited. Any one or a combination of all three team members (Writer, Director, Producer) may participate in the pitch presentation. Teams will be allowed 5 minutes maximum for their pitch, followed by 5 minutes maximum Q&A period with the jury. Members of the winning team may not change after the pitch.
• The winning team will receive: a $1,500 cash grant; up to $13,500 of in-kind CineVic equipment rentals toward production of the submitted film; $2,500 of in-kind William F. White equipment rentals toward production of the submitted film; $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental; production insurance with 10 consecutive days of coverage; and a one-year complimentary CineVic Production Membership. Total package is valued at over $17,500 CAD.
• The winning team will enter into a Production Agreement with CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers and will be required to deliver the completed film by April 1, 2023 in order to screen at Short Circuit Pacific Rim Film Festival in May 2023.
• The cash grant will be released via cheque in two instalments: 75% will be released upon signing of the agreement, and the remaining 25% will be released upon receipt of the finished film and promotional materials. If the film is not completed or provided by the deadline, all monies received by the winning team must be repaid to CineVic.
• The winning team will be required to provide a minimum of 6 production stills including: 2 action shots of filmmakers interacting with CineVic equipment, 2 action shots of filmmakers interacting with William F. White equipment, 2 action shots of filmmakers utilizing the Modo van.
• CineVic will maintain first rights to a Victoria premiere screening of the finished film.
• Any Writer who wins the CINE⚡SPARK competition may not submit a script to future CINE⚡SPARK programs.
• CineVic, the Short Circuit selection committee, script assessors, and pitch jury, may have already and may in the future receive or independently develop materials similar to the submitted scripts. All the above parties have the unrestricted right to use these similar materials, and you will have no right or recourse for use of these similar materials.
• CineVic reserves the right to cancel this program and refund entry fees.