The only "Pacific Rim" film festival in the world returns for our 12th annual edition -- join us for screenings, parties, networking and more in May 2024!
Every year, Short Circuit screens work from over 30 countries and welcomes filmmakers from around the Pacific Ocean to Victoria, British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada. Short Circuit is presented by CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers on the traditional and unceded territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən people, now known as the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations.
In 2023 we presented 45 short films in 7 screening programs over 2 weekends, with hundreds of audience members in attendance. We also re-activated Victoria's historic Odeon Alley, running all festival films in the public square, and shared some delicious food and drink (and brunch) with over 40 filmmakers from near and far.
Filmmakers from all regions bordering the Pacific Ocean are invited to submit. We are looking for great short films in all genres from a diversity of cultural and geographic perspectives. Your film will also be considered for potential Short Circuit touring programs.
Submit your film today for the 2024 edition:
• In-person screening programs in a real cinema
• Moderated Q&A sessions
• Networking events
• Awards presentation
At Short Circuit we put filmmakers first. We keep entry fees low and accessible (even lower for FilmFreeway Gold Members!). All selected Directors are invited to Victoria to participate in-person, or online from your locations around the world. We might even interview you for our podcast!
Please note our CINE⚡️SPARK program is currently on hold.
~ ~ ~
Short Circuit is the premier annual short film festival in Victoria, Canada -- the province of British Columbia's beautiful capital city on Vancouver Island. Bordered by the Salish Sea, the city is surrounded by historical landmarks and natural wonders. Victoria was recently named the best city in the world by Condé Nast Traveller, while Canada was recently picked as the #1 destination country by Lonely Planet. The island's world-class locations also attract many well-known productions such as X-Men, Deadpool, Planet of the Apes, Sonic the Hedgehog, and many Hallmark movies.
• Outstanding International Film
• Outstanding BC Film (sponsored by William F. White International Inc)
• Outstanding Documentary Film
• Outstanding Animated Film
• Outstanding Director
• Outstanding Cinematography
• Outstanding Art Direction (sponsored by Joyce Kline)
• Outstanding Screenplay
• Outstanding Performance
• Outstanding Sound
• Outstanding Music
• Outstanding Editing
• Audience Choice
Short Circuit rules:
1) Entries and submission fees are only accepted via the FilmFreeway online portal.
2) Film submissions are only eligible from residents of the following locations:
• British Columbia or Yukon, Canada
• Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, or Guam, USA
• Australia, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji
• Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Pacific Coast Provinces of China, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Thailand
• Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Pacific Coast States of Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru
• Entries truly originating from outside of these states/provinces/countries will be deleted. NO REFUNDS.
3) Entries may be fiction, documentary, animation, experimental, or other genre. Films must be in English OR contain English subtitles. Maximum running time is 20 minutes including credits. Only films completed after January 1, 2022 will be considered. Only the originally submitted version of the film will be considered (file updates after the original submission date will not be considered).
4) Films which are publicly available to view online are not eligible.
5) Only films which are selected to screen at the festival will receive notification. We do not provide feedback on film entries or selection decisions.
6) If selected for screening at the festival, the filmmaker will be required to submit the following:
• Minimum two high-resolution film stills
• One high-resolution Director's headshot photo
• Brief synopsis of the film
• Film exhibition copy in 2K or 1080p resolution, in DCP, ProRes, or MP4 format
• Film trailer file and/or online link
7) Once a film has been selected for the festival it may not be withdrawn.
8) Screening fees will be paid to Canadian films/filmmakers which are selected to screen at the festival, as per IMAA standard rates.
9) One representative from each selected film will be provided with a pass to all festival events.
10) Please note our entry form includes the following disclaimer:
I confirm that I maintain copyright or chain of title to the creative content and intellectual property in the submitted materials. I acknowledge that as part of the Short Circuit or Cinespark evaluation and decision process, CineVic may contract assessors who sign their own ethics and confidentiality agreements prior to reviewing applications, ensuring a transparent process and confidentiality of all applicant information and application materials. I accept in good faith that any similarities between my application materials and any current or future projects or ideas undertaken by CineVic or the assessors is purely coincidental. I acknowledge that I have read and understood CineVic's Ethics and Confidentiality Policy at https://cinevic.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/CineVic-Ethics-and-Confidentiality-Policy-2022.pdf