*In response to current bans on public gatherings due to the recent spike in COVID19 cases in Los Angeles County:
Short+Sweet is the 'biggest little festival in the world'. Showcasing short form theatre, film, dance and more, versions of the festival are presented in 35 cities in 10 countries around the world.
Short+Sweet Hollywood celebrated its most successful festival in its 4 years in Los Angeles in 2019, showcasing open English language entries from as far as Dubai and Australia; Latinx entries from across the U.S, Mexico, Spain, Venezuela and Colombia; and the addition of an LGBTQ+ program, as well as Dance and Film.
2020 was set to deliver an even more diverse and exciting program. Unfortunately, that won't be the case as Festival Director Nick Hardcastle announced the cancellation of the Festival.
"It is with great regret that we have had to cancel Short+Sweet 2020. While we have vigorously tried to innovate over the last 4 months to ensure that we could welcome you all back to the festival this year, recent spikes in Covid-19 cases in California and the responsive measures taken have forced us to concede that bringing our community of artists and audiences into the theatre simply won't be possible this year. However, we will be bringing you some special online events to keep you all connected with our partners at NBC, Argentum studios and our literary team here at Short+Sweet."
Jandiz Estrada Cordoso, Senior Director of Talent Development Inclusion and Grace Moss, Director of Talent Development & Inclusion for NBC Entertainment will be sharing a 'fireside chat' with Hardcastle on September 10; and Short+Sweet International Literary Manager Alex Broun, also the most performed short play writer in the world, will be giving a free lab in writing your ten minute play - A perfect opportunity to take advantage of the extra time you now have to submit for next year. All plays submitted for 2020 will still be considered for the next festival and all future festivals around the world as programs go into production again in various places that are safe to do so. Short+Sweet Sydney resumes on September 14.
Short+Sweet Film Festival will also not go ahead as planned, but all films submitted will be eligible for consideration when the festival returns next year. Open auditions for actors were to take place this weekend, July 25 and 26 at the Lee Strasberg Institute for the open English language, Latinx and LGBTQ+ programs. These are also cancelled.
"I want to personally thank everyone on our Diversity and Inclusion programming team, our writers, actors and directors as well as our partners at NBC, Argentum Studios, Global Talent Immigration and Final Draft. The West Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the team at the Lee Strasberg Institute have been incredibly accommodating as we have tried to navigate this unprecedented time and we are certainly looking forward to delivering an incredible festival from the Institute when we return in 2021. We appreciate this has been a very difficult time for so many of us and we look forward to welcoming our community and new friends to our online experiences in September."
To keep updated on the online program for Short+Sweet and for the latest news on the 2021 festival, visit shortandsweet.org/festivals/shortsweet-theatre-hollywood-2020.
Welcome to Short+Sweet Hollywood 2020!
We invite you to submit your short film of 10 minutes or less and be part of an exciting film festival in the heart of Hollywood! Now in its fourth year, Short+Sweet Film Festival Hollywood, promises to be bigger and better than ever! Short+Sweet Film Festival is open to all, but most welcome are local film makers.
If your film is chosen to be part of the first festival you’ll join a program featuring local and international films that will be presented at the Marilyn Monroe Theatre on Santa Monica Blvd in September / October 2020. You’ll have the chance to win Awards and Prizes and have your work seen and appraised by an incredible line up of industry professionals.
The Best Film (chosen by respected industry judges) and the People’s Choice Winner (chosen by the audience) will be selected to take part in the International Short+Sweet Film Festival Gala Final on October 3rd at the beautiful and historic Marilyn Monroe Theatre on Santa Monica Blvd. That’s where the winning films from S+S Film Festivals in Sydney, Melbourne, Manila, Dubai and Chennai will compete to take out the International Best Film Awards. They will also be presented in 'Best of the Fest' - where the winners for all Short+Sweet Film and Theatre categories will be showcased at our Awards evening on October 19.
The festival is a proud member of the Short+Sweet family - the biggest 10 minute performing arts festival in the world - with events in 30+ cities across 12 countries. The festival has been entertaining audiences for over 20 years, with the first S+S Theatre Festival in Sydney Australia in 2002 and to date, have presented over 7,500 original new works in Theatre, Music and Dance. The newest home of the S+S Film is now right here in Hollywood.
The winning films will be screened in Los Angeles at the Short+Sweet International Film Festival Gala Final on October 22nd at the Marilyn Monroe Theater.
Prizes include Final Draft Licenses, Casting Networks membership, Cash and an opportunity to be mentored by the Head of Talent, Development and Inclusion at NBC Entertainment.
There are also other local prizes to be won and awards including: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Screenplay, Best Actor (Female + Male), & People's Choice.
In addition, by entering the Hollywood Short+Sweet Film Festival your film is eligible for selection in any of the other S+S Film Festivals around the world over the next 12 months - Sydney, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Melbourne, Brisbane, Auckland, Dubai, Kolkata, Chennai, Canberra, Abu Dhabi, New Delhi, Wollongong, South Coast (NSW) and Wellington.
In keeping with the Short+Sweet tradition, all films must be 10 minutes or less (not including title) and can be shot and edited on any device.
You must have the permission to use any images, storylines, music etc. in your film.
The only other limit - is your imagination!
By entering your film to S+S you are agreeing to the following:
1.The running time of my Film is 10 minutes or less. Films longer than 10 minutes (10m59s) will not be considered and and the entry fee forfeited.
2. I am the creator of the Film and I give permission for the Film to be presented at any Short+Sweet (S+S) festival or event for which it is eligible. If I am not the (sole) creator of the film I warrant that I have obtained all necessary permissions of writers, originators or contributors.
3. Should my film be selected for a S+S Festival or event I understand I will receive no royalties or other payment for those screenings, live or virtual, but will be eligible for prizes and professional development opportunities.
4. I understand that my Film will be assessed by a selection committee and that no communication will be entered into by S+S regarding this process. The selection decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. I give S+S the right to screen/record/photograph my Film for archival, marketing and publicity purposes (inlcuding in unpaid public forums such as YouTube, Vimeo or similar).
6. I understand copyright material cannot be used unless I have documentation to prove legal authorisation from the musician, artist, writer or record label.
7. I may also be required to provide Actor Release Forms to be signed by the people appearing in your film.
8. I understand that Films in any language are eligible, but must be subtitled in English.
9. The festival is open to filmmakers of all ages and levels of experience.
10. Submission deadline for Hollywood S+S Film Festival is 11:59pm (PST), September 2, 2018.
11. All content submitted must be in accordance with the law and any perceived illegal activity will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
12. The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. I understand that if my Film is selected as a finalist I will be required to provide S+S with the highest quality recording of the Film so that it can be screened.
The personal information provided by you will only be used by us for S+S Festivals, competitions and related activities, and to communicate with you about those activities. You can opt out of these at any time by responding to any emails received with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or the body of an email.
No restrictions on the Device(s) used to record or create video and audio.
No restrictions on Software used to create, edit or enhance video and audio.
Films in any language are welcome, but must be subtitled in English.
The festival is open to filmmakers of ALL ages and levels of experience.
The cost of entry to S+S Film is $25. If you need another payment method or are having trouble with payment please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org