*Please read our Rules & Terms! All films must have hard-coded English subtitles.
*For all films submitted during the Feedback Deadline (January 15th - February 4th, 2020) we will be offering 2 letters of feedback, of at least 2 pages each, from two specialized script readers.
SHORT FILM BREAKS is the only film festival taking place within private companies, public, non-profit and for-profit organizations, in a bid to offer smart break opportunities while promoting the independent movie industry around the world.
For our 8th edition we are waiting for your submissions of films competing in the following categories:
- Best International Short Film:
One of the two main categories, we're accepting short films, of any genre, under 30 minutes, from all around the world, except Romania.
- Best Romanian Short Film:
Main category. We're accepting short films of any genre, under 30 minutes, produced in Romania or all around the world but having Romanian as the single (or main) dialogue language.
- Best Feature Film
We're accepting feature films, of any genre and length, from all around the world.
- Best Animation Film:
We're accepting animation films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Documentary Film:
We're accepting documentary films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Experimental Film:
We're accepting experimental films, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best Music Video:
We're accepting music videos, under 20 minutes, from all around the world.
- Best No Dialogue Film:
We're accepting short films of any genre, under 30 minutes, with no dialogue or spoken words, from all around the world.
- Best Human Rights Short Film
We're accepting short films of any genre, under 20 minutes, created all around the world, with a theme or story related to human rights, environment & ecology, activism, citizenship and community mobilization, local development, the rights of minorities, migration, global justice, etc.
- Best Mental Health Short Film
We're accepting shorts of any genre, under 20 minutes, created all around the world, with a theme or story related to mental health.
- Best 1 Minute Film
We're accepting short films of any genre, having the length of under or exactly 1 minute.
We're looking forward to watching your films! Every year we discover new gems we fall in love with!
We started in 2013, with screenings over a three months period for the 1000 Ipsos employees in Bucharest and Brasov. Our first edition also had special events and Q&A with guests from the Romanian filmmaking industry like Tudor Giurgiu, Adrian Sitaru or Tom Wilson, among others.
On our second edition we partnered with NexT IFF (www.nextfilmfestival.ro), the most important short film festival in Romania. Again, we had weekly screenings for three months and special events with guest like Florin Piersic Jr., Vivi Dragan Vasile, Ioana Flora, Dana Bunescu and Gabi Suciu.
During our third edition we continued our partnership with NexT IFF and added a new one with Alter-Native (www.madisz.ro), the most important Hungarian language film festival in Romania. That meant that again, for three months in a row, our employees watched short films during their breaks.
In 2016, we moved to the next level and added a competitive component to the festival, besides our non-competitive partnerships with Next IFF and Alter-Native, while starting a new collaboration, with Onion Films from Katmandú (http://onionfilms.com.np).
From the 1985 films submitted, we selected 7 for the Best Romanian Short Film category and 26 films for the Best International Short Film category.
We've also organized the first public event, a White Night at J'ai Bistrot Bucharest (https://bit.ly/2LaRPNS), which continued in 2017 with a second edition (https://bit.ly/2NbPend).
2017 was also the year when we first organized our amazing Kathmandu Short Film Breaks event and along with our screenings from Ipsos, we started our partnerships with Zitec and Ubis Club, both in Bucharest and Iasi (https://bit.ly/2uhWU0b).
We also opened our doors to a new range of films and filmmakers. From the total number of 2403 films received across all platforms, we accepted 118 films.
What's more, we added an online festival, i-Say Short Film Breaks, to our live screenings! The first edition was won by THE STORY OF 90 COINS, while the 2018 edition was won by TIME 2 SPLIT (http://i-say.co/iSaySFBplaylist).
2018 was a big year for us. We almost doubled the number of received submissions, to 3851, and we've increased our prizes FIVE TIMES, to $1500, while DXC Technology, Casa Pariurilor and eFortuna also joined our list of partners where we're holding weekly screenings during our festival!
In 2019 we DOUBLED the prizes, reaching a RECORD total prizes of $3000. That's ten times more than the prizes we started with, back in 2016! And since many of you have been asking, we've also introduced the FEEDBACK DEADLINE.
For the 8th edition we'll continue with it. For all the films you submit during the Feedback Deadline (January 15th - February 4th, 2020) we will be offering 2 letters of feedback, of at least 2 pages each, from two specialized script readers!
TOTAL PRIZES OF - $3100
Best International Short Film - $400
Best Romanian Short Film offered by Fortuna - $400
Audience Award - $300
Best Feature Film - $400
Best Documentary Short Film - $200
Best Animation Short Film - $200
Best Experimental Short Film - $200
Best Music Video - $200
Best No Dialogue Short Film - $200
Best Human Rights Short Film - $200
Best Mental Health Short Film - $200
Best 1 Minute Film - $200
1) All films must have hard-coded English subtitles. Even the ones with dialogue in English. Our audience also contains speakers of other native languages, so English subtitles offer you the assurance they will understand your film, and them a better experience.
2) Proudly, we have no production year / budget / premiere status or availability restrictions for your film. We do ACCEPT films that have been made available online.
3) Also, entries that have been submitted to previous SFB editions ARE still eligible.
4) The same film can be submitted to more than one category. (Example: Animated film submitted to both Best International Short Film, Best Animation Film and Best 1 Minute Film)
5) For all films submitted during the Feedback Deadline (January 15th - February 4th, 2020) we will be offering 2 letters of feedback, of at least 2 pages each, from two specialized script readers.
6) Please read the time limit submission rules for each category. Films that don't respect them will be rejected automatically.
7) By submitting your film you agree that clips, under 30 seconds, from your film and all other materials related to your project may be used and/or published on our Facebook page / website / event program, or for any promotional purposes which SFB deems appropriate.
8) If selected, all commercial / private property including all trademark / copyrighted materials shown or recorded on the project are the responsibility of the filmmaker. Short Film Breaks will NOT take responsibility for any infringement of copyrighted materials.
9) By submitting your film to Short Film Breaks you confirm that you have the right to distribute the film and take full responsibility of the consequences. Short Film Breaks does not own the films and will only screen and promote them, based on the acceptance of these Rules & Terms.
10) Rules are subject to change at any time with or without prior notice.