This is a major contest and festival for screenwriters and playwrights worldwide, sponsored by FINAL DRAFT and POSTERITY ENTERTAINMENT.
The awards ceremony will take place for finalists from 11am-6pm (UK-time) on Sunday 11 June 2023 at THE RONDO THEATRE in Bath, UK. Known for its Roman Baths and Georgian architecture, Bath is one of only a handful of entire cities to be inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and we're very proud to be based here.
We'll have two fabulous guest speakers, to be announced. In 2022, these were:
JOHN HODGE, BAFTA-award-winning screenwriter of films including Trainspotting; T2 Trainspotting; A Life Less Ordinary; The Beach and Shallow Grave, and a playwright whose first piece for the stage, Collaborators, won the Olivier Award for Best New Play.
DOMINIC MORGAN (aka SCRIPTFELLA) and WGA screenwriter, teaching us 'How to break into Hollywood and land paid writing gigs', sharing knowledge picked up in London and LA. He's been optioned or commissioned by over thirty US and UK studios and production companies, including Universal, Working Title, Bold Films, Scott Free, the BBC and ITV.
There are categories for screen, stage and audio scripts of all shapes and sizes, with laurels for Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists and Finalists, and trophies for winners or all categories except Micros.
Thanks to renewed sponsorship from FINAL DRAFT, the winners and runners-up in all categories with more than 27 pages will also receive a copy of FD12. And we're proud to confirm that, once again, we offer potentially industry-cracking 'route-to-production' prizes for the winners of our two S&CO/POSTERITY AWARDS.
WHO ARE WE?
SCRIPTWRITERS & CO (aka S&Co) is run by Script Consultants who have been writers all their working lives. We have thousands of subscribers, a vibrant Facebook presence and have judged thousands of script entries. We know what we're doing.
Evidence? The quality of work we select for our legendary S&Co Scratch Nights; the script notes we've offered winners in front of hundreds of audience members; and the client feedback you'll find below and on our website.
We've been knocked out by the high-quality pieces submitted, and by the overwhelming support we've had from established, emerging and new writers.
Jonathan Willis, the film and theatre producer who heads up POSTERITY ENTERTAINMENT, has watched our progess with interest, and approached us to offer two exceptional categories - and prizes.
THIS ISN'T A FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS CONTEST, OFFERING NOTHING BUT ANNOUNCEMENTS.
Being SCRIPTWRITERS & CO, we offer live entertainment, too! At the festival, professional S&CO ACTORS will perform excerpts from finalists' work, from micros to pilots to features.
We also offer opportunities for networking and chatting scripts with people who study or work in the performing arts, from all over the world.
A MAIN FESTIVAL + TWO EXCEPTIONAL ROUTE-TO-PRODUCTION PRIZES
Our main competition offers categories for screenwriters and playwrights.
Additionally, we offer recorded ZOOM PERFORMANCES by S&CO ACTORS, which can take place at any time of year. You may also order a recorded performance or script coverage here OR (better for us!) via our main website at http://scriptwritersandco.com/, whether or not you intend to enter.
These are the jewels in our Festival's crown. SCRIPTWRITERS & CO and POSTERITY ENTERTAINMENT are collaborating to search for TWO outstanding scripts - one feature film, one full-length theatre play - whose winners may enjoy career-changing opportunities and international publicity.
S&Co's Zanna Cardash (Artistic Director) and Alex Hollister (Lead Script Consultant) will work with POSTERITY and winning writers to develop their scripts, with a view to producing:
- One feature film with professional distribution
- One immersive theatre play with an A-list cast, to be staged in Bath, England.
CRITERIA: S&CO/POSTERITY FEATURE AWARD - SCREEN
We're looking for original, commercial, marketable concepts, so arthouse, idiosyncratic or 'worthy' stuff is unlikely to cut it here (though is welcomed in the main competition). American accents and vernacular are welcomed, since the US is Posterity's biggest audience. Realistically, we're unlikely to select anything too 'parochial', or that requires strong UK accents, and if it's British comedy you'll have to work extra-hard to impress. Keep a keen eye on the budget - aim for £100,000. The likely winner: the writer of a movie with a universal theme that harnesses the Zeitgeist and will sell all over the world.
CRITERIA: S&CO/POSTERITY AWARD - STAGE
The play that wins will be full-length, innovative, immersive, designed for the round, and must include an interval. We're anticipating a cast of 3 to 8 players and mix of genders, in a stage production that's likely to utilise multi-media and will definitely be original, distinctive, inventive and challenging. Explore, imagine and think outside the box to create an extraordinary and ground-breaking piece of theatre. Although aimed at a primarily adult audience, your cast may include children. Magic, illusions, projections, audio-scapes, aroma-scapes, more? Bring them on - inspire and excite us!
GENERAL ENTRY INFORMATION
We will publish lists of Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists and Finalists on our website and in social and other media. All Finalists will be invited to attend the Festival free of charge, where winners will be announced.
S&CO/POSTERITY entries (including those that fail to meet Posterity criteria, or are not selected as Finalists) are also judged in the Main competition, so writers have two chances to win. However, no play or feature can win both categories, so while the two winners will remain listed as Finalists in the 'main' festival, they will be excluded from judging in this category if Posterity has selected them.
All winners will be announced at the Festival on 11 June 2023.
CATEGORIES AND SUBMISSIONS
To ensure no unconscious bias, scripts should be submitted ANONYMOUSLY. Aside from the title, your first page should only show your mobile/cell phone number, and a logline if you wish.
By entering, you agree that we may add your name and email address to our mailing list. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Your script must be:
– In English
– Formatted to industry standards, or so it's an easy read for us and our actors - the BBC offers some handy downloads
– Devoid of watermarks (we have zero interest in copying your work, and it will not be seen by anyone except our readers and judges)
– Appropriate for your category's character or page count (the latter doesn't include the title page, or a play's cast list)
– In PDF format, with ONLY its title in the file name.
– Our readers are hired for eclectic tastes, excellent noses for a superb script and clear, objective judgement, whatever the genre or subject matter. We interview and train our reading team, so they know exactly what to look for.
– S&Co's judging principles are straightforward and will take concept, plot, story arc, pace and tone, characters, stakes, heart and logic into consideration, as well sheer enjoyability.
– We will announce Quarter-Finalists and Semi-Finalists before selecting 2-8 Finalists in each category, whose scripts will be read by and judged by all judges, including Zanna Cardash and Alex Hollister.
– We will present S&CO/POSTERITY finalists' scripts to Posterity Entertainment. There will be two winners - one for stage, one for screen - and responsibility for deciding who receives the awards lies with them. Production is not guaranteed unless Posterity Entertainment is satisfied that scripts are to the required standard and contracts are issued and signed.
- S&CO/POSTERITY finalists will also be judged against entries in the main competition, so entrants have two chances of winning a trophy. However, once our S&CO/POSTERITY award-winners have been decided, their scripts become ineligible to win the main competition.
RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY
– By entering you confirm that you are over 18, have read and accept our rules and requirements, have copyright of the work you submit and are happy for us to add your name to our mailing list (you may unsubscribe at any time).
– As well as Main Festival winners there will be two S&CO/POSTERITY winners and a further prize for 'Best Script in Festival'.
– Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists, Finalists and Winners will receive S&Co laurels. Winners who attend the event will receive S&Co trophies, while those who cannot attend may have their trophies posted to them at their own expense.
– You may enter more than one script in any category, upon payment of the appropriate fee in each case. We cannot offer discounts for multiple submissions.
– Entries must be entirely original, free of plagiarism and not based, in whole or part, on another writer’s work (unless the underlying material is in the public domain).
– Judges' decisions are final and we will not engage in any discussions about them.
– We cannot be held responsible for scripts entered in the wrong category, so please check that your script meets the criteria and page count, and pay the correct entry fee.
– All qualified submissions will be given equal opportunity and decisions will be based on the script alone. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or disability.
– It is the writer's responsibility to register copyright if they wish to, and by entering you confirm that you understand that the organisers or other writers may already have had, or be working on, similar ideas for storylines and scripts. S&Co cannot and will not be considered liable for the production, now or in the future, of any such scripts, films or plays that bear a simililarity to work you submit.
– S&Co reserves the right, at any time, without notice and without limiting any and all other rights we may have under these Rules & Regulations, at law or in equity, to remove and delete any entry that does not meet our terms, without offering any refund. This may also apply to any content we consider libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or sexually, racially, culturally or ethnically offensive, harassing, intimidating, threatening, hateful, discriminatory or abusive.
– By submitting your script, you allow S&Co and Posterity Entertainment to use your title and logline, as well as your name and image, for promotional purposes, on social media, on our websites and elsewhere.
– Should we receive a limited number of high-standard submissions in any particular category, we reserve the right to withdraw it and/or move your submission/s to another.
– We accept scripts that have been entered in other competitions, and/or have been read, broadcast or performed in amateur performances or online, but not professionally produced. We reserve the right to disqualify scripts that breach this stipulation.
– Entering does not guarantee that your work will be placed. Neither does it secure you admission to the Festival. Finalists enjoy free entry but must travel to Bath at their own expense, and their guests will need to buy a ticket to attend.
– You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Scriptwriters & Co (S&Co), Posterity Entertainment and our management, employees, judges, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates etcetera from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including but not limited to legal fees, and costs of the court) that may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, the screening or publishing of recordings or stills of performances at the Festival, and so forth.
– SCRIPTWRITERS & CO retains copyright of all the information on this page and, while we are happy for you to spread news about the SCRIPTWRITERS & CO INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL and prizes, we retain copyright on all the words herein, and you are not entitled to copy, paste or otherwise use or repeat our words without our express permission.
Thank you for being part of our incredible journey!