Underwater Films Only!
For the first time in four years we are planning to hold SDUFEX Underwater Film Festival "in person" over two nights. Screenings will be held in San Diego at the Qualcomm Auditorium with over 500 attendees.
The festival will also be a hybrid event with films available on-line, so plenty of opportunities to see your film screened.
Audience choices each night and judges' top picks will be awarded prizes of $250 each!
Please submit your underwater films to be part of our festival!
The first San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition was organized in 2000 by a small group who had been meeting at Chuck Nicklin’s dive shop to share information on shooting and editing underwater video. In the past twenty four years, it has grown into one of the most prestigious underwater film festivals worldwide. Help us make the 24th festival the best ever by submitting your underwater film.
The films should be submitted in 1920 x 1080 resolution with 20 – 30 Mbps encoding in H.264 in .mov or .mp4 format. The film(s) submitted will be the exhibition version that will be screened as uploaded to FilmFreeway if your film(s) is/are selected. Please keep your audio from peaking over -6 dB, as the sound system will distort audio that goes above this volume level.
Please provide relevant info, including the following:
1. The name of the film.
2. The name of the filmmaker(s).
3. A brief introduction of the film (100 words or less).
4. A brief introduction of the filmmaker(s) (100 words or less).
5. Photo of the filmmaker(s).
6. A Contact email for the filmmaker(s)
By submitting the above information along with your film to the 2023 San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition, you will be declaring that all the included information is true to the best of your knowledge and that you have all legal rights, including legal rights to the music, to submit this film for public screening at the 2023 SDUFEX film exhibition. Your submission of the film is your affirmation to the truth of this declaration, in lieu of a signature.
Additional information, deadlines, and rules are listed below:
• Films must be submitted through FilmFreeway no later than June 15th 2023.
• Maximum of two films (total) per filmmaker can be submitted.
• Films can be submitted in two categories:
• 5 Minutes Max. Up to 5 minutes in length with at least 50% of the footage shot underwater. We encourage film makers to submit the best version of their film, even if it is well under 5 minutes. Many of our best films are only 2 or 3 minutes long – longer does not always mean better.
• 10 Minutes Max. 5 to 10 minutes in length with at least 50% of the footage shot underwater. In this category, the films MUST tell a story. We strongly encourage submissions with more substance in this category, and these will be judged accordingly. Films will only be selected for this category if they are narrated.
• Black Video Lead-In: Record or add a one (1) second black lead-in at the front of your video.
• You must have the legal right to use all visual footage, images, audio, and music contained in your film. You will be required to certify this in your entry email.
• Judges will not be permitted to submit films for consideration.
• Films should not have commercial content, for example promoting destination hotels or dive-boats. Films should also not show deliberate harassment of animals.
• Films that have previously been submitted to SDUFEX will not be considered unless significant changes have been made.
• The San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition reserves the right to use up to thirty seconds from your film(s) for the promotion of this event and future events. All rights will remain with the producers of the films.
• Please do not include watermarks that appear during the whole film. All credits and acknowledgements should appear either at the beginning or end of your film.
Questions or Assistance: email@example.com