Welcome to SPLICE Film Fest! We are a New York City based selective international film and video art festival showcasing all genres of short films, music videos, and subjects ranging in length of at least 1 minute up to 10 minutes.
We are particularly interested in filmmakers whose work is underrepresented either by gender identification, ethnicity, subject/topic. We are open to any and all stories, and are looking to build a community through our festival that is accepting and welcoming for all to submit, and share their work with our live audience. The festival will take place on Saturday, June 8, 2024.
We accept: abstract/experimental, video art, animation, augmented/mixed reality, documentary, traditional narrative, comedy, social justice, LGBTIQQ, mixed media, music video, performance art, and everything in between. It's up to you to choose the best category or categories in which to enter your film. You must pay the fee for each category you enter.
We welcome and encourage work by students, amateur, and professional filmmakers. Each film will be judged by its own merit, and not by its budget.
While we accept all genres, we will NOT accept films that could be deemed hate speech, abusive or derogatory towards a person or group of people.
All student submissions are only $10, but you must provide proof of your current student status via email to receive the discounted submission. You must submit in the "STUDENT" category ONLY to receive the discounted submission. Your film will be disqualified if you do not provide proof of your student status, and you will NOT get a refund on the $10. Any submission into other categories will require you to pay the normal entry fee.
Laurels will be given for the following categories:
Best Animation Film
Best Student Animation
Best Comedy Film
Best Student Comedy Film
Best Documentary Film
Best Student Documentary Film
Best Experimental Film
Best Student Experimental Film
Best LGBTIQQ Film
Best Student LGBTIQQ Film
Best Music Video
Best Student Music Video
Best Narrative Film
Best Student Narrative Film
Best Social Justice Film
Best Student Social Justice Film
Best Video Art Film
Best Student Video Art Film
Best AR/Mixed Reality/Creative Coding
Best Student AR/Mixed Reality/Creative Coding
We will award laurels for "Official Selection" into the festival, and for the "Best Film" of each category. We will award "Honorable Mentions" for films our judges deem worthy of those distinctions for great achievement in filmmaking.
Winners of each category will also be included in the "SPLICE Film Fest Presents The Winners" screenings. We will let you know if your film is selected for one of these screenings.
By submitting to the festival you agree to the following Rules & Terms.
1. We require that non-English language films be subtitled in English with the subtitles baked in.
2. By submitting, the filmmaker warrants that they are the rightful owner of the submission and do not violate or infringe on any trademark, trade name, copyright, literary, dramatic, musical, artistic or other intellectual property or personal rights.
3. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the SPLICE Film Fest, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
4. SPLICE Film Fest is hereby granted the rights to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted for promotional purposes of the festival. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screenings, and understands and accepts these requirements, rules and regulations.
5. Submissions of independent film from any part of the world are welcome unless prohibited by AML sanctions.
6. Filmmakers receiving the student $10 entry must email us a scanned copy of their up to date student ID in order to be considered. Your entry will be disqualified if you do not send us proof of your student status when asked within 24 hours. You will NOT receive a refund of your $10.
7. All films must be submitted either through FilmFreeway via an online screener, or through a password protected digital upload on a third party site like Vimeo. We will NOT accept unsolicited email submissions. We will NOT accept emails, DVDs, or hardcopies for consideration or screening. Should your film be selected, we will download the file to be built into the festival program. If you do NOT provide the file of your film to be downloaded for the built show reel, your entry will be disqualified and you will not receive a refund. Unfortunately, we do NOT grant fee waivers as we are a growing festival with fees that are quite low already and use funds from submissions to run the festival.
8. Despite our freedom to use your film for our own screenings and advertising, we in no way would like to imply that we have some sort of ownership of your film. Should your film be picked up by a production or distribution company after screening at our festival, we demand no percentage of your deal or profits. Whatever you choose to do with the film outside of the festival is still solely up to you, because we do not own your film inherently through submission. By submitting your film, you agree for us to screen it publicly in association with media or other screenings conducted by the festival.
9. Any aspect of the festival is subject to change at the discretion of the Festival Director or Board. These aspects include: Award Categories, Event Dates, Submission Deadlines, Venue (In Person, Live, or Virtual), Category and Entry Fee, Award Recipients, Awards & Prizes, and the Selection Status of your film. Should the final film festival event be cancelled (not delayed or rescheduled, or moved to virtual screenings, but cancelled) for any reason, any filmmakers who have paid to have their film entered will receive a full refund. There are NO refunds if you withdraw your film or if your film is disqualified from the festival. All requirements must be met before prize funds from the Claude & Sue Corty award is disbursed. You have 30 days from the winning notification email to complete all requirements. Prize money not claimed for the Claude & Sue Corty Award within 30 days from the notification email will be forfeited.
10. By submitting to the festival, this will serve as your media release to use your image, likeness, your film, its images, audio, or video in direct promotion for SPLICE Film Fest via all media channels without renumeration.
11. For any questions or concerns about the Terms of Entry or the festival itself, feel free to contact the Festival Director via our general e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org