SPARK ANIMATION 2018
Festival + Business Symposium + Conference + Career Fair
Celebrating Inspiration & Innovation in the World of Animation
From October 25 to 28, Spark CG will host the 10th annual SPARK ANIMATION Festival. A multi-stream event, SPARK ANIMATION thrives on bringing together industry experts with newcomers, and that principle extends into the festival which provides a showcase for both established filmmakers and fresh new talent.
Since opening the festival to submissions in 2014, SPARK ANIMATION has attracted top animation from around the world and many of the projects recognized at the festival have gone on to win numerous awards — including Oscars. Notable titles include “The Dam Keeper” (Academy Award nominee), “We Can’t Live Without Cosmos” (Academy Award nominee) and “Bear Story,” (Academy Award winner in 2015). Most recently, five of the five films nominated for the Academy Award for Animated Short Film, screened at SPARK ANIMATION 2017, including this year’s Oscar winner, “Dear Basketball” by Glen Keane. Visit our archive for previous editions of the festival: http://sparkfx.ca/
With an eclectic mix of styles, languages and a world-class jury, SPARK ANIMATION has become the premiere animation festival in Vancouver!
SPARK ANIMATION 2018 will feature a series of regional, national and international short and feature films, filmmaker workshops and mixers. Filmmakers of festival selected projects will receive complimentary passes to the conference, festival and business symposium.
We are looking for animated projects from all over the world:
• Animated Feature Films
• Animated Short Films
• Animated Student Projects
• Commissioned Works
• Animated Music Videos
• Animated Commercials
• Game Cinematics & Trailers (real-time or pre-rendered)
• VFX Short Narrative
• Computer animation (2D & 3D)
• Traditional animation
• Stop-motion animation
• Festival: October 25 – 28
• Conference: October 27 – 28
• Business Symposium: October 26
• Career Fair: October 27
About SPARK CG:
The inaugural SPARK ANIMATION Conference and Festival took place in 2008. Since its inception, the Society has been working diligently to promote and foster the local computer graphics community year-round by holding sold-out events, attracting internationally renowned speakers, and keeping abreast of how to best serve the dynamic community.
• Best Short Film
• Best Student Project
• Best Feature Film
• Best Music Video
• Other prizes to be determined at judges' discretion.
Jurying takes place a few weeks prior to the festival and is conducted in a full theatre with the full jury in attendance. For this screening, HD 1080p files in H.264 and stereo should be easily available for download.
• Films in foreign languages must have legible English subtitles
• Films must include accurate submission information or risk being disqualified!
• Selected films will be required to submit a fact sheet. A form will be provided along with selection notification
• Selected films will be required to submit a high resolution file of the project
• Additionally, to be considered for competition, projects must:
• Be premieres in British Columbia, Canada (local graduation screenings excluded)
• Projects must have been completed in 2017 or 2018
All festival award-winning projects will be screened theatrically. Festival selected music videos, cinematics and commercials/PSA’s may be shown as part of a curated streaming program.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening (including but not limited to multiple screenings in multiple Canadian and International locations), and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.