SF3 - the SmartFone Flick Fest is Australia’s international smartphone film festival.
Open to filmmakers of all ages from every country; from first-time filmmakers to professionals. As long as your film is shot entirely on a smartphone or tablet, your film is eligible for submission.
We have 5 categories in 2019: SF3 Best Film (films 20 mins and under), SF3 Best Feature Film, SF3 Kids (for filmmakers 16 and under), the Luma Touch Finished on Mobile Award (for films both completely shot AND edited on a mobile device or tablet) and SF360 Award (360 and VR videos).
Everyone has a great idea for a short film and a potential movie camera in their pocket, so no excuses. Here’s your chance to start filming and be in the running to share in over $30,000 worth of prizes and have your film screened on one of Australia's premiere screens in front of a global audience at our 2019 Gala Finals and SF3 Kids Finals, September 14-15th at Event Cinemas George St.
Our finalist films and one feature film will be selected from all the entries to screen at SF3 2019. We will be holding three live screenings and awards in an exciting venue partnership with Australia's largest cinema chain and home to premieres and Hollywood Galas, Event Cinemas George St, in Sydney, Australia. This year's Gala will be held on Sunday 15th September with our very first feature film premier and our second annual SF3 Kids Screening and Awards, being held on Saturday 14th September along with a masterclass and networking filmmaker meetup and red carpet events.
Our 2018 Gala Finals were a complete sell-out at the Sydney Opera House and our SF3 Kids and Shortlist Screenings were held at Event Cinemas Bondi Junction. From 2015-2018 we held our Gala Finals at the iconic art deco Chauvel Cinema in Paddington, Sydney. We are passionate advocates for the showcasing of the best smartphone films from all around the world, show up on Sydney's top big screens.
Many of our past Top Ten and shortlisted films have been invited to screen around the world at our partner film festivals including the International Mobil Film Festival in San Diego, the Syria Mobile Film Festival and more. The opportunities are endless for smartphone filmmakers.
All films MUST be shot entirely on a smartphone or tablet, meet our time requirements and you can use any editing software, apps and phone additions, and you can edit on a PC, laptop, tablet or your phone.
So, pull your phone out of your pocket and start filming, it really is that easy!
SF3 is proud to award over $30,000 worth of prizes from our amazing sponsors including prize packs from The Pocket Film Academy and the #Filmbreaker Movement, Struman Optics, Luma Touch, Shot Lister App, Chicken & Chips Casting, Ink Tip, Final Draft, Rode Mics, The Hub Studio, Screen Actors Workshop, Power Productions and Story Board Quick, the Australian Cinematographer's Society, the Australian Director's Guild, Screen Producers Australia, the Australian Writer's Guild, iPitch TV, Laugh Masters Academy, Anthony Mora PR for Filmmakers, Ribbet, AFI/AACTA, Ribbet, Backstage, Sandra Alexander, Ridley St, Charliee Presley & NIDA.
Prizes awarded: SF3 Best Film, SF3 People's Choice, the Luma Touch Finished on Mobile Award, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Screenplay, WIFT Women In Film Award, Best Actress, Best Actor & Best Kids Flick (for under 16s), Founders' Flick Pick, Best Community Film Award and Best 360/VR Video.
The rules are simple:
1. Your film must be shot entirely on a smartphone or tablet, or a 360 camera for SF360.
2. Films for SF3 Official Selection must be no longer than 20 minutes including titles and credits. There is no minimum time limit.
3. Films for our feature film category must be a minimum of 60 minutes in length, no maximum time limit.
4. All 360 and VR entries to SF360 must be a maximum of 20 minutes with no minimum time limit.
5. SF3 accepts any and all genres.
6. All scripts and ideas must be your original material.
7. Copyright material can only be used if you have written permission to do so, and we can ask at anytime to see this permission.
8. You can use any software or apps to edit your video and audio, and can edit on any device.
9. You can use any software for colour correction or special effects.
10. You can use external microphones, lenses, lighting, tripods, etc.
11. Your film must meet all the terms and conditions of the festival to be eligible.
12. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding film selections and prize winners.
13. SF3 Kids Flicks Category and Competition is for Australian and International filmmakers aged 16 years and under at the time of filming. A kids film for the purposes of SF3 is a film who's director and screenwriter are 16 years or under at the time of filming. All other roles on the film, including the DOP and actors and editors may include people of all ages, however, the film must be the idea of a filmmaker 16 years and under and all concepts of editing, camera angles and all other relevant artistic choices must be primarily decided upon by the filmmaker 16 years and under who enters the film.
14. SF3 is open to filmmakers from every country.
15. Films will be accepted from filmmakers of every age.
16. The WIFT Australia Award is for the best female creative, decided by our judges, who worked on one of our Official Selection films in a crew capacity, not limited to the producer, writer, DP, etc. The director of each film will be asked to nominate an outstanding female that worked on their film, and this can include themselves.
17. The SF3 Community Award is for a film which showcases stories, actors and/or people that are under-represented on our screens and showcases them in a moving, positive, or special way. This will be decided by our judging panel.
18. The Luma Touch Finished on Mobile Award is for a smartphone film that must be both completely shot and edited on smartphones or tablets only. You may use any editing program, but you must show us evidence that it was edited on a device; evidence includes screenshots of you editing or a short BTS of you editing the film.
Check out our site for full T&C's and to ask any questions - www.sf3.com.au