The Rwanda Film Festival is an African film competition and an international event. Since its creation in 2004, the festival showcased thousands of African films and a selection of the worldwide cinema and school films and the Panorama section.
At RFF, we connect experienced filmmakers with young Rwandan and East African aspiring filmmakers and actors through various workshops and master classes. In 16 years, the Rwanda (Kwetu) Film Institute, which is related to the Rwanda Film Festival, empowered hundreds of young professionals and launched dozens of careers. We have trained and exposed over 500 our youth from Rwanda the East Africa Region.
RFF is also opening ways for a market in the region giving to filmmakers and producers an opportunity to share, promote and develop the industry of film, TV and digital entertaining.
This year with the theme ‘’African film Industry: Mastering the art of telling our stories’’, the festival wants to celebrate complex and beautiful stories. RFF 2022 competition is looking for great, creative and vibrant films of filmmakers from the African continent and the diaspora.
Best Long feature film
Best Short fiction
Best Long documentary
Best Short documentary
Best Rwandan Film
We accept submissions of long feature films, short fictions, long documentaries, short documentaries, animations, and web-series
- Rwanda Film Festival submissions is OPEN on January 25th, 2020
- Deadline: July 2020
- All films must be in English or with English subtitles.
Screening or Rental Fees:
- Rwanda Film Festival does not consider films that require screening/rental fees.
- Long feature Film: No less than 60 minutes Short Fiction: Less than 30 minutes Long
- Documentary: No Less than 50 minutes Short Documentary: Less than 30 minutes
- Animation: 30 min
- Films must have been completed on or after February 2018
- Promotional and institutional films are not eligible
- All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have
cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
- Rwanda Film Festival reserves the right to change any information contained in this
document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements)
without further notice.