Illuminate issues of social justice and sovereignty through the lenses of inclusion, diversity, equity, accessibility, and belonging in higher education, nationally and internationally, by showcasing a compelling selection of thought-provoking films featuring unique voices and visions.
*Advance innovative cinematic works from both emerging and seasoned filmmakers that center on issues of justice and sovereignty
*Educate and initiate dialogue through cinematic excellence in matters of justice and sovereignty
*Inspire creativity, encourage introspection, and compel exploration
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL AND THE CENTER
The Reels on Human Relations Film Festival is housed in the Southwest Center for Human Relations Studies (SWCHRS), a department of University Outreach/College of Continuing Education (CCE) at the University of Oklahoma. This festival, now in its second year, was developed in alignment with the mission of the SWCHRS.
The SWCHRS was established at the University of Oklahoma in 1961 with the primary mission of extending the resources of the university to communities in the southwest faced with civic conflict and controversy. The center’s first initiative was a large, annual, two-week workshop for public school personnel attempting to comply with court-mandated school-integration decisions. The center was first privately supported by agencies such as the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), National Conference for Community and Justice (NCCJ), American Jewish Committee (AJC), and others.
Now in its sixth decade, the core mission of the Southwest Center for Human Relations Studies is to provide opportunities for learning, facilitated training, research and knowledge dissemination on issues of intercultural and intergroup relations as they pertain to communication, conflict management, collaboration, leadership, organizational culture, decision making, and inclusive practices.
Underlying this mission is the center’s historical value and leadership in social justice on issues of race, ethnicity, sovereign identities, migration, class, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and other relevant issues of human relations.
Laurels (there will be one winner from each Category)
By submitting a film to the festival, the filmmaker/submitter agrees to all of the rules and terms outlined below.
Current students, from the United States, enrolled in college (undergraduate and graduate) are eligible to participate in the Reels on Human Relations Film Festival. Films produced while the director was a student are also eligible, so long as they meet the timeframe below.
· Films must have been completed on or after August 1, 2021. Films completed before August 1, 2021 are not eligible to enter in the Reels on Human Relations Film Festival for 2023.
· Films must have a runtime of 15 minutes or less, unless submitted into the "Long Form" category.
· Films must be submitted online and provide a link for viewing. Include a password if necessary.
· All films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles
· The filmmaker acknowledges that they have the rights to any music and images that appear in their film.
· The filmmaker/submitter certifies that they have all necessary copyright permissions for the film festival to screen the film in front of a live audience.
· The filmmaker/submitter hereby grants the Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma on behalf of the Reels on Human Relations Film Festival and the Southwest Center for Human Relations Studies permission to use stills, posters, clips, and other material from the film and the filmmaker for screening, marketing and promotional purposes.
· The filmmaker/submitter hereby also grants permission to screen the film online during NCORE Virtual Connections 2023. NCORE Connections will take place on CVENT, a platform only used for attendees that are authorized.
The Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma on behalf of the Reels on Human Relations Film Festival, and the Southwest Center for Human Relations Studies is not responsible for any claims, rights, or liabilities involving copyright of submitted films.
All submissions are final. No entry fee refunds will be provided.