Submissions for the 12th annual ReelAbilities in 2020 are now open!
ReelAbilities Film Festival: New York is the largest festival in the country dedicated to promoting awareness and appreciation of the lives, stories and artistic expressions of people with different disabilities. Initiated at JCC Manhattan in 2007, the festival presents award-winning films by and about people with disabilities in multiple locations throughout each hosting city. Post-screening discussions and other engaging programs bring together the community to explore, discuss, embrace, and celebrate the diversity of our shared human experience.
ReelAbilities operates the International program of the film festival out of the Marlene Mayerson JCC Manhattan main office in NYC, bringing the festival to communities throughout the U.S, Canada and Latin America.
PLEASE NOTE: Films accepted for ReelAbilities: New York will be made available to the ReelAbilities International program, allowing ReelAbilities partner cities throughout the US, Canada and Latin America to select those films for their festivals.
ReelAbilities Film Festival: New York is now accepting submission for its 12th edition, to take place in multiple locations throughout the NY metropolitan area in March 31st to April 6, 2020.
We are looking for films presenting the lives and stories of people with disabilities (in front or behind the camera) that explore, discuss and celebrate the diversity of the shared human experience. We accept: features (over 40 min), shorts (up to 40 min), narratives and documentaries from all countries.
Eligibility requirements for submission to the festival:
* Films must be related to the topic of disability, such as: autism, chronic illness, hearing loss and deafness, vision loss and blindness, intellectual disability, learning disability, memory loss, mental health, physical disability, speech and language disorders, PTSD and other disabilities not specified above.
* Films that have been (or plan to be) widely/commercially released theatrically or on VOD/stream prior to April 6, 2020 are not eligible for submission.
* Films that are advertisements commissioned by a commercial company or a promotional video for an organization (PSAs) are not eligible for submission.
* Screeners sent as links should be available through April 2020. Links must be updated by submitter on their FilmFreeway account if changed.
* We greatly recommend to add captioning to your film for accessibility purposes.
By submitting your film you are acknowledging that:
1. To the best of your knowledge, all of your statements below are accurate.
2. You are duly authorized, on your behalf and on the behalf of any person or entity that has ownership rights in the work, to submit it to the Festival and you represent that this submission is not in violation of any law nor violates any right of said person or entity.
3. You hold ReelAbilities Film Festival, its officers, as well as any of its fiscal sponsors and affiliated entities, harmless from any damage to, or loss of, any materials submitted by you, whether that damage occurs en route to or from the Festival or during the course of the Festival's possession of said materials.
4. You do not have a planned theatrical or online release of the film prior to March 31st, 2020.