Rex Animated Film Festival was initiated by Stockholm’s European Union National Institutes for Culture (EUNIC) in 2015. The festival is growing every year and offers a varied and colorful program of European animated short and feature films for both adults and young people.
The REX program presents a broad range of animation including genres like: documentaries, dramas, experimental films, comedies, and horror films. Focusing exclusively on European animation, Rex Film Festival is the only festival in Sweden dedicated purely to animated films at this time.
The program consists of films from European and includes a rich program of workshops, talks, and the Rex Student Award, an annual award for Swedish student productions. And yes, we also have a section dedicated to kids!
The Open Call is for animated shorts produced in Europe.
TEAM & PARTNERS
REX Animation Film Festival would not be possible without our EUNIC Partners: Embassy of Austria, Embassy of Spain, Instituto Cervantes, Czech Center, Finlands Institutet, Greek Embassy, Goethe Institute, Institut Francais de Suède, Instytut Polski, Camões Institute, Romanian Institute, Slovak Embassy, Swiss Embassy, and Ukrainian Institute.
The final selection will be made from the films received via the open call and through additional curation.
REX Audience Award
The selected short films will be in competition for the REX Audience Award. Winner will be announced the week after the festival.
REX Student Award
The application for this award is open to Swedish student productions only.
For information on how to apply, see REX Animation Film Festival website: https://rexanimation.se
Value of Goods/Services: approx. €500
REX Audience Award
REX Student Animation Award
- All animation techniques accepted.
- Animated films of all genres are accepted.
- The film must have been completed after January 1, 2018.
- Films with dialogue not in English must have English subtitles.
- Entries should have a maximum length of 30 minutes.
- Live-action films will not be programmed for the festival and it is therefore advised not to submit any work which is not animated. Hybrid productions, for example, animated documentaries mixing animation and live-action, are however encouraged to submit.
The call is open for submissions from:
- the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.
- Norway, Ukraine and Switzerland
- Applicants warrant having authority to submit the work to REX Animation Film Festival. All entries must be cleared in terms of copyright.
- By submitting your work via FilmFreeway you are granting permission to REX Animation festival to screen this work as a part of the 2019 edition of REX Animation Film Festival.
- Entries must be submitted via the completed form.
- The correct entry fee must accompany each entry. This fee covers screening and handling costs for the programming group. The fee is nonrefundable.
- DCP 2K is the preferred screening format. In some cases, if there is no DCP, this could be created by the festival should your film be accepted. In this case you will be asked to deliver a high bitrate production format video file (preferably ProRes 422). It is however strongly advised submitters create and provide their own DCPs.
- By submitting the applicant understands that material provided in press-kits of titles accepted to the festival may be used in marketing in social media by REX Animation Film Festival.
- Please not that REX Animation Film Festival will not make any reimbursement in case of incorrect submission.
- REX Animation Film Festival will make the final decisions on the programming and notify filmmakers accepted to the festival. Feedback on specific films not accepted will not be available.
- You can email and request feedback or comments but we don't generally have the time to answer due to the high volume of submissions received every year.
- Applicants agree to having read these conditions and having complied with them.
REX Animation Film Festival reserves the right to update these terms and conditions.