From Frankenstein to Dr. Frank-N-Furter, and from Catherine Deneuve's Miriam to The Babadook, the transgression of horror has often skewed a little...queer. We're flinging open the closet door and spotlighting the rainbow end of the horror spectrum. Gays lost in the woods? We're into it. Lesbian vampires? We want them (really, call us). Trans Final Girls? Send them in. Experimental animation through a queer lens? We're here for it. Like gender identity, our definition of horror is pretty fluid. Sci-fi, thrillers, fantasy, documentary, and cinematic experiments are all welcome. If your story faces down the darkness in the world or within, we probably want to see it.
Be part of the world's only exclusively queer horror film festival! We set ourselves apart by building a community dedicated to queer creators and queer stories, from the campy to the truly skin-crawling. Horror has always embraced The Other, and queer folx around the world know a thing or two about being Othered. But we're not alone.
This year, we're celebrating creators on the screen and on the page. We founded this festival to support indie creators and to lift up the best queer stories. This year, we're proud to announce that our judge's top picks for Best Horror Short, Best Feature, Audience Choice, Best Short Screenplay, and Best Feature Screenplay will all receive cash prizes.
Our second annual event in 2022 will be a hybrid festival, with online screening as well as in-person screenings at our home base in central North Carolina. More details to come.
Best Short Film | Prize: $150
Best Feature Film | Prize: $250
Audience Choice Film | Prize: $150
Best Short Screenplay | Prize: $150
Best Feature Screenplay | Prize: $250
Films and screenplays should be made by LGBT+ and queer creators, and/or center LGBT+ and queer characters and stories. Films do not need "queer content" to be considered.
LGBT+ includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, nonbinary, pansexual, asexual, genderfluid, and other identities. Queer is an umbrella term that encompasses all of these identities, and any identities that fall between or outside these labels.
We accept films of all styles and modes: narrative, documentary, experimental, animation, and hybrid.
- Films must have been completed on or after January 1, 2019.
- By submitting, you agree that you are the owner or have the permission of the owner of the film submitted and all contents within. We love fan films, but we can't screen them.
- Films must be either in English or subtitled in English.
- We are unable to screen pornography.
- Filmmakers may submit multiple projects, but an individual entry must be submitted for each project.
- Submitted films are considered the final finished versions of those films by the Festival (no “in progress” projects).
- All film submission fees are non-refundable.
- There is no guarantee that films submitted will be selected for Festival screening.
Premiere status is not required.