**The entries have now closed because we have received an overwhelming amount of submissions**
The fifth annual “Queer” Asia Film Festival (QAFF) of 2022 invites you to reflexively, critically, and creatively engage with us in the conversation on the theme of “SURVIVAL”
QAFF invites submissions of film no longer than 30 minutes (detailed submission criteria below) from a range of filmmakers including activist groups, academics, professional, and amateur filmmakers. The Festival will be held in early July 2022 in various central London locations and we are currently exploring the possibility of holding some screenings in Coventry and Oxford.
As an annual celebration of films from across Asia, including Asian diasporas, QAFF has showcased a wide diversity of films from across Asia, including Azerbaijan, China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Myanmar, The Philippines, Pakistan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Viet Nam in Central London venues including The British Museum, SOAS, King’s College London, and University College London. QAFF has also collaborated with different organisations, including The British Museum, Club Kali, CINEMQ, SOAS, University of London, University of Warwick, King’s College London.
Since its launch in 2017, the film festival has grown significantly. The number of films being screened rose steadily from 11 films in 2017, to 33 in 2018 and over 80 in 2019, the last year the festival was held before the COVID-19 pandemic. Similarly, the number of tickets sold to festival increased from 500 in 2017 to nearly 2500 in June 2019.
During its existence, QAFF has also attracted extensive media coverage including BBC Impact and BBC World News, Rife Magazine, Gay Star News, CUNTemporary, The Guardian, Attitude Magazine. Films from the QAFF lineup have been showcased on TV programmes in the UK such as Brighton TV, and in private screenings at major companies.
1. SUBMITTED FILMS MUST HIGHLIGHT/FOCUS ON ASIAN AND OTHER LGBTQI+ ISSUES. As the theme, “Survival” for the festival, other submissions will not be considered.
2. Films of no longer than 30 minutes in any language are accepted but should have subtitles in English (if relevant).
3. 'Queer' Asia Film Festival is a NOT FOR PROFIT film festival focused on raising visibility and awareness and therefore DOES NOT OFFER SCREENING FEES to any film, since it invests its limited resources in showcasing all the films to the best possible extent.
4. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person submitting the film holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
5. A submission will be considered complete only after the DOWNLOAD IS ENABLED for the film’s preview screener in FilmFreeway or other accessible links provided.
6. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: * LATEST 2nd January 2022. The Festival will not consider late entries due to volume of submissions. NOTE: Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
* The film festival does not charge screening fees from filmmakers and film submission is free of charge.
More information about the ‘Queer’ Asia Collective and the Film Festival can be found at https://queerasia.com