The Prague Youth Film Festival (PYFF) in an annual event dedicated to the celebration of emerging international filmmakers. Our mission is to highlight and provide a boost to new filmmaking talents.
Taking place in Prague, Czechia, one of the premier film and culture centers of Europe, PYFF will feature galas, parties, a press junket, television and radio coverage, an exciting award ceremony, and some of the best films by young filmmakers you can see in the world!
Among the PYFF 2019 members are the American film producer Rick McCallum (Star Wars, Britannia, In Love and War, Borgia), the British director Kirk Jones (known for Waking Ned Devine, Everybody’s Fine and What to Expect When You’re Expecting), as well the German cinematographer Rene Richter (Head Full of Honey, Zone Rouge), and the Czech production designer Petr Kunc (Lea, Day of the Dog, The Hypnotist). More exciting names to be announced shortly.
The Prague Youth Film Festival is organized by Paul & Petra Ratner, who produced the popular Prague 48 Hour Film Project (48 HFP) for 8 years, attracting thousands of participating filmmakers, over 10K in attendance and many careers launched. Besides 48 HFP, Paul and Petra have worked in organizing festivals for well over a decade. Their experience includes producing the Sarasota Film Festival, one of the largest and most acclaimed festivals in North America, as well as the Screenlife International Contest, the Hollywood Nights Young FIlmmaker Showcase, the ReelTalk PSA Contest, and years of involvement in the Slamdance Film Festival and the Santa Fe Film Festival.
- Grand Prize from one of our partners to be announced shortly. In the past, our festivals awarded prizes like DSLR cameras.
- Jury Awards – upon selection by a jury made of top film and tv industry professionals, the best films created by emerging filmmakers will be awarded prizes in a variety of categories, including Best First Feature (Documentary and Narrative), Best Narrative Short, Best Documentary Short, Best Experimental, Best Environmental Film, Best Top Ten under 10, and more. Specific amounts of any cash prizes to be announced shortly.
- Other Festival Prizes & Awards – We’ll be announcing additional Jury, Audience, Special Awards closer to the festival.
- Partner Opportunities – Our media partners will feature the work of some of the filmmakers and the winners. The participants will also have numerous opportunities to present their skills and projects to our industry partners from across the European and American film and tv landscape. Our work spans the U.S., the European Union, Russia and India, and we seek to create opportunities for young filmmakers around the world.
- Networking Events – If you attend PYFF as a Filmmaker, you will meet fellow young filmmakers from all over the world and network with industry leaders at our parties and gala, taking concrete forward steps in your career as a filmmaker. It’ll be sure to be a memorable experience!
• To be eligible for all categories except Narrative Feature (up to 35), Documentary Feature (up to 35), directors of each film, short or feature, must have been 25 years of age or younger at time of filming.
• The directors submitting to Narrative Feature (up to 35), Documentary Feature (up to 35) can be up to (and including) 35 years of age. These categories can include first time features by directors older than 25 as well as features by non-first-time directors.
• The submitted film(s) must have been made in 2018 or 2019.
• The film must not contain scenes of graphic violence, nudity or extreme coarse language (and must be accessible to a general audience).
• All music and other copyrighted material used in films must be properly licensed.
• All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
FilmFreeway, the site handling our submissions, will accept links to Vimeo and or YouTube videos as well as provide you with a way to upload your film directly to their platform. All films will be watched by our judges utilizing this secure screening process.
PAYMENT: You will be able to pay entry fees online during the online application process.
FILM STILLS: If your film is accepted, you will be required to provide a high-quality (300dpi) film still and, preferably, a poster.
SYNOPSIS: The 3-line synopsis you submit when filling out your online application will be used in the festival guide, on the PYFF website and for other promotions, so please provide a compelling description of your film. PYFF reserves the right to edit the synopsis for length and grammar.
NOTIFICATION:. If your film is selected to be part of PYFF 2019, you will be notified via email no later than November 22nd, 2019.
FILM DISTRIBUTION: Films selected for PYFF 2019 may have the opportunity to take part in distribution opportunities through PYFF. Distribution may include Internet, television, in-flight, and other avenues. See filmmaker release below for further information regarding distribution.
EXHIBITION REQUIREMENTS: Each film selected for PYFF 2019 must send in an exhibition copy of the film as an HD resolution (1920x1080) QuickTime file (pro-res 422 or better) via Dropbox, WeTransfer or other online large file transfer service. Alternatively, the selected filmmaker must promptly provide another high-quality file for projection (in consultation with PYFF technical staff on appropriate specs). The exhibition copy of film must be received no later than end of day December 6th, 2019.
I acknowledge and agree that to the best of my knowledge, I am duly authorized to submit this film to PYFF and to grant permissions related to its use and distribution.
I grant permission to PYFF to use film clips/stills for promotional use. I allow PYFF and any third parties at PYFF the right to film, videotape and photograph my appearance and voice for any and all marketing and promotion of the festival.
I understand I will be added to the PYFF email newsletter lists and receive email updates from PYFF. My name and email may also be shared with 3rd party partners. I can always unsubscribe via the email footer or by notifying in writing appropriate PYFF staff.
If this film is accepted into PYFF 2019, I grant PYFF the non-exclusive right to right to show, distribute and market my film in its entirety as PYFF sees fit, including but not limited to packaging and inclusion in sponsorship deals and other business related activities related to PYFF. This also includes but is not limited to presenting films as part of the PYFF online festival component, Best of PYFF at other film festivals and other screenings, showcases or distribution with 3rd party partners. Such an exhibition may include, a one-time showing on the channel of our partner Televize Seznam. Exceptions and requests to opt out will be granted only by written request and must be made prior to acceptance into festival or when film obtains other distribution that would prohibit any aspect of this.
PYFF may actively pursue other distribution opportunities for the film. I acknowledge that I may be asked to complete and sign additional distribution agreements. It is always my choice to accept or reject these offers. PYFF does not take any copyright or ownership of my film.
Submitting a film to PYFF constitutes an agreement by and between the filmmaker/representative, and/or applicable Parent/Guardian of a minor aged Filmmaker, and PYFF. By submitting, I agree to all of these rules, terms and conditions. I acknowledge that no submission fee refunds are given once this application has been submitted. I also acknowledge that I will not receive any compensation for the use of my film by PYFF in accordance with the rules, terms and conditions.
I understand and acknowledge that, if I am under 18 years of age, my parent or guardian must agree to the terms of this Filmmaker/Guardian/Representative Release on my behalf. As a Parent or Guardian of a minor filmmaker if applicable, I understand and acknowledge that I am agreeing to the terms of this Filmmaker/Guardian/Representative Release on behalf of my child or a child for whom I am a legally designated Guardian.